Musical Movie Reviews/Discussion

Go on about how awful the movie adaptations were here.
Little Cozelma

Re: Musical Movie Reviews/Discussion

Postby Little Cozelma » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:53 pm

What I noticed is that when the movie was over, the feeling it gave me was similar to what I had felt the first time I finished the book mixed with the feeling I always get when I hear the Epilogue.
I think this alone is a success, and makes you forget all the silly things, like beautiful,innocent!Éponine etc.
Last edited by Little Cozelma on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:57 pm

I think that's one of the things that actually matters most with this adaptation; that the impact of the storytelling ring true to the book.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Little Cozelma

Postby Little Cozelma » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:04 pm

Maybe I'm just affected by ancient tragedies, but I believe it's the catharsis at the end of the book that you're supposed to feel and which no movie will ever manage to give you entirely. Probably including Myriel in the Epilogue was to serve that purpose (one of my favourite moments, by the way!)

On the other hand, it's hard for fangirls to feel catharsis or anything else when there are hot revolutionaries waving flags and looking epic, according to my friend, who saw the movie with me. I was disappointed because I don't even fangirl the Amis, and that's all she could talk about.. Anyway, that's another issue :P

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:37 pm

*facepalm* I just noticed that Valjean's poster tagline "Freedom is mine" isn't in the movie at all. Jackman sings "Freedom at last"...if this has been posted already pls forgive me for being very late.
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:52 pm

It took me a few viewings of the film to notice it as well :D
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Tue May 14, 2013 11:51 pm

Not sure if this should go into this thread or the other one, but oh well.

Basically, a discussion came up about the Latin the nuns sing in the film during the group viewing. According to the screenplay, it's this:
Procul recedant somnia
Et noctium phantasmata
Hostemque nostrum comprime
Ne polluantur corpora

Which, according to this site, translates to
From all ill dreams defend our eyes,
from nightly fears and fantasies:
tread under foot our ghostly foe,
that no pollution we may know.

The website also says this:
Te Lucis ante terminum: An old and venerable Ambrosian hymn from the 7th century for the close of day at Compline. This version is the one found in the Monastic Breviary and the Roman Breviary.

And the whole thing translates to
TO Thee, before the close of day
Creator of the world, we pray
that with Thy wonted favor, Thou
wouldst be our Guard and Keeper now.

From all ill dreams defend our eyes,
from nightly fears and fantasies:
tread under foot our ghostly foe,
that no pollution we may know.
O Father, that we ask be done
through Jesus Christ Thine only Son,
who, with the Holy Ghost and Thee,
shall live and reign eternally.
Amen.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Wed May 15, 2013 12:11 am

Wow, thanks, Gervais, that's really interesting.

On the same subject, sort of, I remember back just before they were filming, there was a casting call or something for people who could sing French-accented Latin, and that was when people were speculating they might include the convent scenes, I think. This may be a silly question, but does anyone know if the lines were really sung with a French accent?
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Rebus

Postby Rebus » Sat May 25, 2013 4:13 pm

The nuns seem to be singing the Latin with a decidedly English accent, though I could be mistaken. I've only learned Latin with a German accent, which is a large difference from the pronunciation in the film, but the way they pronounce "c" in recedant is more Italian than Latin (they say retchedant as far as I can hear, whereas classical Latin pronunciation would be rekedant). I can't imagine French speakers of Latin pronouncing recedant retchedant. Also, their "r"s are more rounded and English-sounding, as far as I can hear, and their "um" endings are very English.

On a random note, Grantaire's face when Enjolras sings "Courfeyrac, you take the watch etc" just before "Drink With Me" is one of my favourite Blagden moments (which is difficult, because he does such a wonderful job of working Grantaire's complex personality into a comparatively small amount of screentime). The first thing that came to mind was "Enjolras disdains me. Enjolras said: Joly is ill, Grantaire is drunk." Like he was angry and disappointed yet again at having not been chosen to help, which fuels the fire for "Drink With Me", and in the behind the scenes there is a shot of him taking a swig from his bottle and walking back into the tavern in the middle of the song looking quite displeased, which explains his sudden absence after opening the song and should have been kept in, since no one sees him again until his sudden appearance at his and Enjolras death scene.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat May 25, 2013 6:22 pm

The cafe scene has some marvellous little details of performance :D. Thank goodness tumblr is bringing attention to them all :lol:
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Sun May 26, 2013 4:45 am

This actually happened quite a while ago (back in January, to be exact), but I just thought to post it now... My local newspaper has a section called "MidWeek" that, true to its name, comes out in the middle of every week. It features articles and editorials from both local and national journalists and pundits, and it also features a special page in each issue where a local celebrity or notable person reviews a currently playing movie. The person chosen to review the film is usually someone who works in a field related to its subject -- for example, the 2005 King Kong remake was reviewed by a zookeeper who worked with the primates at the Honolulu Zoo, and the Sweeney Todd film was reviewed by a local barber who had been a consultant on a local production of the musical a few years before.

Anyway, for the LM film, MidWeek got stage star and current Hawaii resident Yvonne Elliman to review it; although I don't think she's ever been in LM on stage, she certainly has tons of experience in popular rock operas. Like all celebrity reviews for MidWeek, this one was done as a Q&A session. Check it out here!

LauraLeZunzu

Postby LauraLeZunzu » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:07 am

I'm totally in love with the movie.
When I saw it the first time I was very very shocked; then I watched it the second time and realised it was the most inspiring film I have ever watched. It decided me to do my career and i decided me to get more involved in politics.
And I find it difficult to make a movie out of a musical, and Tom Hooper amazingly made it. I have watche The King's Speech so I had high spectectives, but not as high!!
So I ran to read the books, and surprisingly discovered the films made a lot of justice to the books! The songs were the only way to pass that kind of book into a movie/musical, but as I heard, the movie is more loyal than the musical.
When I read the book I started readin the Manifesto and got here and started the Social Contract. As my parent said "this shows what a movie can actually do".
I find amazing the changes through the years. I saw the commentaries and can't admire more Hooper!

Lord Jon Connington

Postby Lord Jon Connington » Sat May 16, 2015 8:23 pm

Ok, been a while since I've seen this in cinema, but here's what I remember of my impressions...

Overall I'd give it about 8/10. It definitely delivered in the feels department, it looked beautiful and it added a couple small book things that didn't make it to the stage.

I liked that they rearranged the order of certain songs - they actually made more sense this way. The new song for Valjean was lovely. If only it were performed by someone who can do it justice.

For the singing part: Enjolras, Éponine, Grantaire, Gavroche and the barricade boys are perfect. Hathaway as Fantine was really great - maybe not every note was perfect but she brought so much raw emotion into it. She deserved the awards.

Marius was ok. Thénardier too, I wish they didn't cut Dog Eats Dog. Mme Thénardier is meh. HBC plays the same character in everything. Also, did they really have to make the Madame thin and fairly attractive? Really? Cosette was more or less okay singing-wise but she looks like one of those blondes from Mean Girls.

And now onto the "why would you cast two actors who can't sing in two lead roles that require almost-operatic voices".

They are both clearly struggling just to hit the notes and often fail. And lacking the confidence in that department, it's hard to concentrate on acting.

Jackman KINDA manages on a mediocre level until Bring Him Home where he just fails completely. It was painful to listen to. And with no shirtless scene he doesn't LOOK strong. I know this man is super ripped and physically right for Valjean (I mean, Wolverine), so why not show it, at least when he's a convict?

Russell Crowe is definitely trying but again, simply lacks the vocal power and can't even hit the low F. Also, his looks are so wrong. You have this man who looked so Javert-like as Cpt. Jack Aubrey and decide to give him short hair, a beard and no overcoat. Okay. Well, at least he provided and endless source of reaction gifs.

I'm pretty sure there are some big name actors who CAN sing. So I really don't know why these two were chosen. Both are good actors, just not for these roles.

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:48 am

I honestly don't think there are/were any big name actors who could sing the roles. none that I can think of. They should have had dubbing, imo. It's not like they don't dub their own voices later on anyway.

Postby 23623 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:49 am

Rewatched the movie to celebrate my 4th year in this fandom. It's interesting to watch it again now with the knowledge of book and musical in mind. Hope I won't bore you to death with this super late review.

The best casting choices imo are Anne as Fantine and Colm as the Bishop. They remain my favorite in respective roles. I was a bit hesitant to say that before, but now I seriously consider Anne as the BEST Fantine I've ever seen. Amazing is not even enough to describe her acting. Really, it's been 4 years and I've seen the same story over and over again, but Anne still made me cry. I'd be very happy if those stage Fantines could do half as well. Samantha is a good Éponine. Not my absolute favorite, but good enough compared to the rest of the cast. Enjolras looks...book-ish, but honestly I can never see Aaron Tveit as Enjolras again since I discovered Next to Normal, lol. Feel a little disappointed that Marius and Cosette are less attractive than they should have been. :( But good thing that Marius' acting has made up for that. I actually cried at ECAET which I don't usually do. Aaand, speaking of attractiveness...could anyone please explain that illegally beautiful Grantaire?? :shock: He's quite impressive. I mean both his face and his acting are really impressive. Never cared much about the amis but he did catch my attention. The biggest disappointment of the cast is the two leads. Poor Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe, I know you've tried, but you're just not the material. Your singing is really painful to listen to.

I was so surprised that they managed to work so many book details into the movie. My favorites include:
- Fantine hating Monsieur Madeleine
- Javert's confession of the wrong report
- the graveyard scene with Fauchelevent
- Gillenormand...being there. Yes, I'm a Gillenormand fan. I'm just happy that he made an appearance.
- Gavroche's brothers and the elephant
- Éponine trying to separate Marius and Cosette. Not strictly in the way she does in the book, but close enough.
- Marius threatening to blow the barricade
- Éponine taking the bullet for Marius
- Valjean's reaction after knowing about Cosette and Marius. It's one of my biggest guilty pleasures of the musical. I just love Valjean being a bit dark from time to time. :wink:
- Enjolras and Grantaire dying together
They really put a lot of thought into the adaption. Good job guys, apparently you've done your homework. Funny that they really made Enjolras do that "French Revolution" thing. Now I understand why everyone thinks Les Mis is about the French Revolution. *facepalm*

There are some changes to the musical that I love. First, BISHOP IN THE FINALE. No comment. :P And switching "Lovely Ladies" and IDAD makes perfect sense. Didn't know I'd prefer this until today. I LOVE the movie version of ODM. Honestly I never liked the staging of ODM. Seems a bit dull to me. Another surprise was Javert being rather sympathetic after the barricade fell. Well done, Crowe. You deserve an A+ here. On the other hand, I don't know if I should be glad or disappointed that Gavroche is so book-ish in the movie. I'm not a huge fan of book-Gavroche to be honest.

Overall, I like this movie. I liked it as a newbie who knew nothing about Les Mis 4 years ago, and I still like it now as a somewhat more experienced fan. Of course there's bad singing and weird cuts and changes, but I didn't find anything really unbearable. And I'm forever grateful to it for introducing me and many others to this incredible wonderful amazing fandom. :D
Revolution, but civilization

Return to “Movies”