Musical Movie Reviews/Discussion

Go on about how awful the movie adaptations were here.
Enjolvert

Re: Musical Movie Reviews/Discussion

Postby Enjolvert » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:19 pm

zergrussian wrote:Fair enough about Suddenly. I'm sure if I watched the movie a few more times (I don't think I'd personally really want to though) I would appreciate the song a lot more. I think it just got on my nerves because 1) it's new and I'm not used to it and 2) the melody is quite forgettable IMO. As well, I didn't like that in order to do a mini-reprise for it they got rid of the line in the Finale where Valjean tells Cosette about her mother, like I said in my original post.

I do still think it's just an Oscar-bait song though. What DOES deserve an award, in my opinion, is the extra Gavroche lines in Look Down. They capture the essence of Little People better than Kretzmer's version ever did.

I think if they'd really wanted the Oscar then they'd have gone for a massive show stopper melody. It wasn't the most memorable but I have to admit that I've started to like it. I appreciate that they went and did something completely new for the movie.
The law is unjust.

zergrussian

Postby zergrussian » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:26 pm

True, but the song DID end up getting a Best Original Song nomination. Whether it wins though remains to be seen.

Patria

Postby Patria » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:47 pm

I loved it. I was more than a little apprehensive about a few aspects of it, namely Russell Crowe and some of the reviews it was getting, but I found Crowe quite acceptable and the movie as a whole just gorgeous. Plus, the live singing made it a thousand time better than it ever would have been otherwise. Brilliant decision there, and one that I am very thankful for. Like Jean Gringoire, I LOVED all the Brick details that rarely if ever make it into the stage show. It managed to be a wonderfully accurate musical adaptation that was also pleasingly book-flavored. Color me impressed.

I really liked the casting. Hugh Jackman might not quite have the voice for "Bring Him Home," but to be fair, not many people do ("this song is hiiiigh, much too hiiiigh...pity meee, bring dooown the keeey..." Who wrote that parody again? It was hilarious) and I though he was a pretty awesome Valjean. He's also a good physical match. You really get the "strong as an ox" vibe off of him.

Crowe has more vocal potential than I expected--there were just a few stylistic objections I had, things I would have changed if I had been his vocal coach. He tends to add melodious inflections and energy-drops at the end of lines, which isn't particularly Javert-y, but generally I liked him. For one, like Jackman, I just thought he was an awesome physical match. I was pretty pissed about the lack of mutton chops at first, but then his general appearance and bearing won me over in the end. I approve and don't think he deserves a lot of the harsh criticism he's getting.

Anne Hathaway--holy cow. Give that woman an Oscar. "I Dreamed A Dream" had never made me cry before, but her rendition did both times I've seen it. SO much emotion; despair, rage, shame. I absolutely and wholeheartedly loved her.

I thought the Thenardiers were wonderful. Baron-Cohen has such great comic timing. Little Cosette and little Gavroche were perfect.

Eddie Redmayne is a wonderful and likable Marius, and his "Empty Chairs" was gorgeous and powerful. Aaron Tveit is an awesome Enjolras with a sort of quiet, smoldering ferocity. I was fond of the students as a whole. I liked Seyfried and Barks as Cosette and Éponine, although I admit I was slightly distracted by Bark's odd shape. (Was that just the costume? If so, what were they trying to achieve there?)

The ensemble was great, and the staging of ensemble scenes was also excellent--The shots of all the beggars and workers in "One Day More," the placement of "Do You Hear the People Sing?" actually IN the funeral procession.

To be honest I don't have much of an opinion on "Suddenly." My only gripes are the inexplicable lyrical cuts/changes. Screwed up rhyme schemes, random dialogue, switched words...but it's a small, if baffling, price to pay for an awesome film adaptation. Besides, some of the additions were great--I agree with zergrussian that Gavroche's new lines were perfect.

One random tiny thing I loved was actually touched on in Auf Die Barrikaden's post: Hadley Fraser's cameo as the army officer. Such gorgeous, nuanced acting in a minor part that could easily have just been phoned in was AWESOME to see. The haunted look in his eyes...

The sets (Grossest. Inn. Ever.), direction, and cinematography were wonderful. I just...loved it. I think they did a wonderful thing justice, and I am both thrilled and relieved. I will come back and respond specifically to other people's points and comments more as soon as I am not typing on an iPhone.
"Would you like my hat?"

Awesome icon by Hannah.

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:44 am

Saw it again. Loved it more this time, except, and I didn't notice this the first time...

...I thought Les Amis, bar E and R, looked too scared at the end.

I've decided I identify most with Valjean, Cosette, and Marius.
"Oh my God! I'll never have time to strike a pose!"

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:50 am

Oh, the backstage stuff between Amanda and Hugh that makes In My Life 1000000 times creepier: http://youtube.com/watch?v=CMcWy5Pcb40&feature=related
:shock:

I think Suddenly is okay. I kinda like it, especially how Hugh performs it, but it's not getting Best Song.

They seemed to be having what I'd think was a natural reaction to being penned in a room while people with guns hunt them down. One of them (Combeferre?) was even aiming his pistol down at them right before being shot. Unless you're talking about when they were almost kicking down people's doors; I agree that was too much scared-ness there, but some seemed not too scared at the very end.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:59 am

Gervais wrote:Oh, the backstage stuff between Amanda and Hugh that makes In My Life 1000000 times creepier: http://youtube.com/watch?v=CMcWy5Pcb40&feature=related

That's not creepy, that's just... huh? I mean, what a random thing to do...

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:02 am

Majestic_Picnob wrote:
Gervais wrote:Oh, the backstage stuff between Amanda and Hugh that makes In My Life 1000000 times creepier: http://youtube.com/watch?v=CMcWy5Pcb40&feature=related

It's just that, when considered while seeing his wardrobe for In My Life, IML becomes a bit creepier in my opinion.

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:09 am

Gervais wrote:
Majestic_Picnob wrote:

It's just that, when considered while seeing his wardrobe for In My Life, IML becomes a bit creepier in my opinion.

I liked the father/daughter interactions much better this time around, actually. First time I saw it, I went in dreading that their relationship would be portrayed as creepy, and so it seemed kind of creepy to me, but knowing what to expect it seemed much less. I empathize with Cosette there because I've gone off to college and want to make my way in the world, and with Valjean because I see my parents seem to be having a somewhat difficult time adjusting to the now-empty nest (my younger sister left for college this year).

I guess it just goes to show that Les Mis is ALWAYS relevant, huh?

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:33 am

Majestic_Picnob wrote:I liked the father/daughter interactions much better this time around, actually. First time I saw it, I went in dreading that their relationship would be portrayed as creepy, and so it seemed kind of creepy to me, but knowing what to expect it seemed much less. I empathize with Cosette there because I've gone off to college and want to make my way in the world, and with Valjean because I see my parents seem to be having a somewhat difficult time adjusting to the now-empty nest (my younger sister left for college this year).

I guess it just goes to show that Les Mis is ALWAYS relevant, huh?

Their interactions were definitely good once I got over his shirt. :wink: Cosette is one I identify with a lot mostly because of overprotective parents and the trying to understand myself, and Valjean because I've basically turned 180 degrees for the better since I was in elementary school.

Yep, there's always something making Les Miz relevant. Which is probably why it's lived this long and will continue to. :D

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:36 pm

I must say I'm really glad the ensemble numbers were kept; cutting them was a major weakness of Sweeney Todd in my opinion.

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:56 pm

I wonder if they filmed more scenes either in a sung or spoken version ala "Éponine's Errand". The trailer hinted at it being dialogue only yet it was the musical version in the film.

BTW: DVD and Bluray will be released in March: http://broadwayworld.com/article/LES-MI ... e-20130121
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:14 pm

Majestic_Picnob wrote:I must say I'm really glad the ensemble numbers were kept; cutting them was a major weakness of Sweeney Todd in my opinion.

Agreed! What kinda ticked me off about Sweeney Todd was how it seemed to warp a lot of people's thoughts as to how a musical film should be done. When I talked to other musical fans in the weeks and months after ST about the possibility of certain shows (including LM) being made into films, they seemed to be under the impression that ensemble numbers could never be done on film ever again because ST showed that they were somehow "obsolete," despite that they worked just fine in lots of other musical films. In any case, I'm glad we're past that now with LM.
Last edited by Prisoner 24653 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:16 pm

So, there will be a DVD release before the movie is released in cinemas in some countries... Not that I'm complaining (only about cinema release dates), but that is weird. Still, hurray, DVD in March!
Dark sarcasm ought to be taught at schools!

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:29 am

Trompe-la-Mort wrote:So, there will be a DVD release before the movie is released in cinemas in some countries... Not that I'm complaining (only about cinema release dates), but that is weird. Still, hurray, DVD in March!
Yes, Hoorah! :mrgreen:

Majestic_Picnob wrote:I must say I'm really glad the ensemble numbers were kept; cutting them was a major weakness of Sweeney Todd in my opinion.

I'm hoping that directors and screenwriters of future musical movies will remember Les Miz' success and not the weird criticism when it comes to keeping ensemble bits. Is that too much to ask?

I found this article about the presence of femal stereotypes in the film. Interesting enough, and I'm just impressed the Women's March has yet to have a written reprise.

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:37 am

Yay, DVD! :mrgreen: Wow, March is soon, I would have expected later, but, hey, I'm not one to argue. :wink:

Interesting article, but personally, it really doesn't bother me at all. I mean, I would have much more of a problem with Éponine being made a revolutionary leader or something than I do with female characters given a bit smaller parts, and I think it makes much more sense in historical context, but that's just my opinion. :wink:
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Return to “Movies”