Musical Movie Reviews/Discussion

Go on about how awful the movie adaptations were here.
Courgette

Re: Musical Movie Reviews/Discussion

Postby Courgette » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:26 am

Acaila wrote:Patriarchal system causing women to oppress other women. Don't know if it was a conscious choice, just something that I noticed out of it.

It's like saying,"If you know what's good enough for you, you will promptly shut your mouth, and do as we tell you". And in those days, "honour" and "modesty" were things that women were supposed to maintain at all costs. And if they didn't, they would be seen as "that type" of a girl who would not be a good influence for the people around her.The factory workers saying,"You must send the slut away, or we're all gonna end up in the gutter. And it's us who'll have to pay...", says it all, doesn't it?
"Lord in Heaven, look down on him in mercy..."

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:39 am

Yes, I know and the lyrics are there in either version, it just seemed to me more emphasised in the film version. Especially considering how sleazy the foreman is often played. Tbh, by standards of the period, he didn't really seem such an evil git in the movie compared to the common "turn everything phallic and try to get Fantine to touch it" way it's often done in the stage show.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Legeaux

Postby Legeaux » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:32 am

Reflecting further... I think the thing that I miss the most from the stage version, is that we don't get an intermission after One Day More.

Of course, I can solve this problem once the DVD comes out...
++ Legeaux

Enjolvert

Postby Enjolvert » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:46 pm

When watching it over you pick up on so many small things you wouldn't notice otherwise. With loud headphones in, I noticed that at 3.56 in my copy, just as Valjean drops the flag before Javert starts singing, you can hear the sound of a helicopter in the background for a brief second. Please tell me I'm not the only one who has heard it?
The law is unjust.

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:42 am

Say, anyone else pleasantly surprised at how pro-Cosette the film was? Similar to the concern I had about the ensemble numbers brought on by Sweeney Todd, I was sort of worried that the film would take the Phantom route and make Éponine out to be the better choice, but this thankfully never materialized; I think Seyfried and Barks gave us great insight into the ladies' respective heads that helped convince the viewer that their respective positions in the story were the correct ones. I do wonder if this would still have been the case if Swift had actually been cast, though...
"Oh my God! I'll never have time to strike a pose!"

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:46 pm

Not pleasantly surprised....but pleased that the movie took the same slant the Brick did when it came to the two girls.

If Swift had been cast....I don't want to think of it. We would have had too many pop-princess vibes there.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:25 pm

Aurelia Combeferre wrote:If Swift had been cast....I don't want to think of it. We would have had too many pop-princess vibes there.

Ever seen the music video to her song "You Belong With Me?" I get the horrible feeling that that's exactly how she'd have played Éponine.

Enjolvert

Postby Enjolvert » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:38 pm

Majestic_Picnob wrote:Say, anyone else pleasantly surprised at how pro-Cosette the film was? Similar to the concern I had about the ensemble numbers brought on by Sweeney Todd, I was sort of worried that the film would take the Phantom route and make Éponine out to be the better choice, but this thankfully never materialized; I think Seyfried and Barks gave us great insight into the ladies' respective heads that helped convince the viewer that their respective positions in the story were the correct ones. I do wonder if this would still have been the case if Swift had actually been cast, though...

I'm pleased by the way they did it as well. I always think it's a difficult one to do as well. Unlike Phantom, where it's a lot easier to portray Raoul in a good light despite the hate he gets, it's a lot more difficult here because it's difficult to just buy into Marius falling for Cosette after seeing her for that one moment as opposed to Éponine who's already a friend of his.

They did do it well though. Seyfried did what she could for Cosette, and I thought Barks was brilliant as Éponine too. The extra parts they added from the book improved the whole character massively and recognised her flaws, but the way she played the part in general was excellent. They obviously knew that they had to make her look like someone from the street, so they did. It's difficult because Barks is naturally very good looking but they made her look a lot more street, for want of the right word, than she was in the 25th anniversary. Although it didn't help in that when her character was chasing after someone played by Nick Jonas when it comes to depth, although she was great in this and I thought the whole smiling when she died thing was brilliant.

Cosette was massively helped by the addition of Suddenly in my opinion. It added more to the Valjean/Cosette relationship which we don't usually see enough of despite it's importance, plus both her and Barks had someone good to work with as Marius because Redmayne was excellent for acting Marius.

I'd have hated Swift as Éponine because her music is average, so is her voice, she's not an actor and seems like most girls when it comes to boys and would play Éponine terribly. Basically everything Barks was good for avoiding in the role.
The law is unjust.

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:55 pm

Enjolvert wrote:I'm pleased by the way they did it as well. I always think it's a difficult one to do as well. Unlike Phantom, where it's a lot easier to portray Raoul in a good light despite the hate he gets, it's a lot more difficult here because it's difficult to just buy into Marius falling for Cosette after seeing her for that one moment as opposed to Éponine who's already a friend of his.

They did do it well though. Seyfried did what she could for Cosette, and I thought Barks was brilliant as Éponine too. The extra parts they added from the book improved the whole character massively and recognised her flaws, but the way she played the part in general was excellent. They obviously knew that they had to make her look like someone from the street, so they did. It's difficult because Barks is naturally very good looking but they made her look a lot more street, for want of the right word, than she was in the 25th anniversary. Although it didn't help in that when her character was chasing after someone played by Nick Jonas when it comes to depth, although she was great in this and I thought the whole smiling when she died thing was brilliant.

What I really liked was that they made it really clear the whole love at first sight thing was mutual. Cosette's expression basically says, to paraphrase a sig from this forum, "Oh yeah, you know you want this."

I do think "street" is a right look for Éponine. Barks is probably too conventionally-pretty for a 100% Brick-accurate Éponine, but I never thought Brick!'Ponine was all that bad-looking; if you've seen the contemporary illustrations for the book she looks scruffy and bony, but not hideous. Barks also played the role in a very "unhinged" sort of way, I thought; you could sort of see her break as the film went on, and it's clear that she never really had a chance with him.

Enjolvert

Postby Enjolvert » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:05 pm

Majestic_Picnob wrote:
Enjolvert wrote:I'm pleased by the way they did it as well. I always think it's a difficult one to do as well. Unlike Phantom, where it's a lot easier to portray Raoul in a good light despite the hate he gets, it's a lot more difficult here because it's difficult to just buy into Marius falling for Cosette after seeing her for that one moment as opposed to Éponine who's already a friend of his.

What I really liked was that they made it really clear the whole love at first sight thing was mutual. Cosette's expression basically says, to paraphrase a sig from this forum, "Oh yeah, you know you want this."

I do think "street" is a right look for Éponine. Barks is probably too conventionally-pretty for a 100% Brick-accurate Éponine, but I never thought Brick!'Ponine was all that bad-looking; if you've seen the contemporary illustrations for the book she looks scruffy and bony, but not hideous. Barks also played the role in a very "unhinged" sort of way, I thought; you could sort of see her break as the film went on, and it's clear that she never really had a chance with him.

Yeah that's true. It's very easy for it to almost appear confused, and almost too convenient that she feels the same way about him when it comes to In My Life.

I agree on Éponine too. The fact that Barks is incredibly good looking shouldn't count against her for the part, but it's not too big a problem anyway. Like you say, Éponine probably wasn't that bad looking. In fact, with the description in 1823 of when they were children, I think Hugo is almost trying to make the reader realise the point for later on that their change in social status is what results in Cosette being the beautiful one while Éponine's a lot dirtier, in the literal sense. Still though, I don't buy into this idea that Éponine was a hideous creature without her teeth etc. Had they not suffered their reversal in fates, it could've just as easily been Éponine in Cosette's position and vice versa. That's the way I kind of see it anyway.

Plus I quite like the way Éponine and Marius are friends in the musical. Even though it's not brick canon, I've got my own theory on how the whole thing, including Marius and friends of the ABC, would make perfect sense with one minor change from Marius in the brick, as opposed to when people think his character had to go through lots of major changes for him to end up like he was.
The law is unjust.

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:29 pm

Is it true that Barks wore a *tight* corset? I know she had the binding during the barricades, but all I've heard about the corset for act 1 comes from IMDb. If she did, that may have been a bit much, and it looks like she did at any rate. I think I agree on y'alls ideas of her coming unhinged throughout, though, although my own memory of that is a bit rusty at the moment.

Oh gosh, if Swift had been in it... :shock: There would've been no chance of Éponine being dirtied up at all, either.

I agree that Suddenly really helped develop Cosette and Valjean more. Barks smiling when Éponine died is as close to "I believe I was a little bit in love with you" as we can get with the musical, and all but says it by itself even if there wasn't ALFOR to back it up.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

Enjolvert

Postby Enjolvert » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:37 pm

Gervais wrote:Is it true that Barks wore a *tight* corset? I know she had the binding during the barricades, but all I've heard about the corset for act 1 comes from IMDb. If she did, that may have been a bit much, and it looks like she did at any rate. I think I agree on y'alls ideas of her coming unhinged throughout, though, although my own memory of that is a bit rusty at the moment.

Oh gosh, if Swift had been in it... :shock: There would've been no chance of Éponine being dirtied up at all, either.

I agree that Suddenly really helped develop Cosette and Valjean more. Barks smiling when Éponine died is as close to "I believe I was a little bit in love with you" as we can get with the musical, and all but says it by itself even if there wasn't ALFOR to back it up.

It may have been much on the tightness, but was perhaps good for another reason from my perspective. :lol: Although I'll save that for another thread. :lol:
The law is unjust.

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:50 pm

Enjolvert wrote:
Gervais wrote:Is it true that Barks wore a *tight* corset? I know she had the binding during the barricades, but all I've heard about the corset for act 1 comes from IMDb. If she did, that may have been a bit much, and it looks like she did at any rate. I think I agree on y'alls ideas of her coming unhinged throughout, though, although my own memory of that is a bit rusty at the moment.

It may have been much on the tightness, but was perhaps good for another reason from my perspective. :lol: Although I'll save that for another thread. :lol:

:wink:

Really, though, although they were probably going for an extension on the Hungry Street Girl look, it mostly just looked like It's A Miracle I Can Sing With This to me. She would've been just fine without it, I think.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:19 pm

I think alot of that "Éponine never stood a chance in the first place" impression the movie delivers comes from the altered first exchange with Marius. Instead of playing the "Hey Ponine, wassssuuup..." friend-game (the low point of Kretzmer's work no doubt), in the movie they kept quite a distance right from the start. Which I liked alot.
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Enjolvert

Postby Enjolvert » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:38 pm

Gervais wrote:
Enjolvert wrote:

:wink:

Really, though, although they were probably going for an extension on the Hungry Street Girl look, it mostly just looked like It's A Miracle I Can Sing With This to me. She would've been just fine without it, I think.

Well I can't be blamed. :twisted:

That's true, although I didn't mind it too much. Better that than lip gloss or whatever they gave her in the 25th anniversary concert that kind of took away from her performance a tad.
The law is unjust.

Return to “Movies”