The earliest versions up to 1925

Go on about how awful the movie adaptations were here.
Acaila

Re: The earliest versions up to 1925

Postby Acaila » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:13 pm

Auf die Barrikaden wrote:
Gervais wrote:Cosette would either be strangely adorable or just strange. :lol:

Maybe...maybe Beardy is Thernardier, and they were just going with a "Oh, con man, let's make him like Fagin" thing, but then the next one still doesn't look like Javert, unless they were just going way, way out there.

1: Victor Hugo
2: ConValjean
3: Bishop
4: Mayor/OldValjean (same pose as ConValjean)
5: Marius
6: Hey look what I just did in such a short time-it's movie magic! :mrgreen:

I thought this, except Thenardier instead of Marius.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:21 pm

That cap and expression deliver that "youthful student in love with a handkerchief" feeling to me. :)
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

The Bricklayer

Postby The Bricklayer » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:54 pm

Acaila wrote:
Auf die Barrikaden wrote:
Gervais wrote:Cosette would either be strangely adorable or just strange. :lol:

Maybe...maybe Beardy is Thernardier, and they were just going with a "Oh, con man, let's make him like Fagin" thing, but then the next one still doesn't look like Javert, unless they were just going way, way out there.

1: Victor Hugo
2: ConValjean
3: Bishop
4: Mayor/OldValjean (same pose as ConValjean)
5: Marius
6: Hey look what I just did in such a short time-it's movie magic! :mrgreen:

I thought this, except Thenardier instead of Marius.
I'm thinking 5 is Thénardier. Marius makes more sense, but he slips on a a tooth (if I'm not mistaken which I probably am) which leads me to believe that it's Thénardier.
Tomorrow will come no matter what, but it is up to you to make it better than today.

Proud Member of the Resident Combeferre Club.

humanracer

Postby humanracer » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:00 am

I have found lots of old newspaper articles describing the 1914 movie as "the greatest motion picture ever made". Does anyone know anything about it?

humanracer

Postby humanracer » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:30 pm

I tidied up the Adaptations wiki page, correcting a lot of info on the early movie versions. I think the 1907 Capellani short is on a recent DVD.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptations_of_Les_Misérables

It is interesting to see that the stage plays fizzled out with the dawn of motion pictures in 1913 and subsequently the movie versions became less frequent with the success of the musical in the mid 80s.

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:52 pm

Nice work! I still marvel at the amount of Japanese adaptations and have no clue why the Japanese are so obsessed with it-same is true for the Russian focus on Gavroche...
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:07 pm

Is the show still playing in Japan? Certainly it had a great run there even if it isn't. They seemed to really take to it. It's very interesting to see how certain countries just seem to identify with it.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

humanracer

Postby humanracer » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:56 am

Yeah the Japanese thing is interesting. I am also fascinated by the fact that so many adaptations were allowed to be made in Imperial Japan as I would have thought the story would be seen as a criticism of the role of the Emperor and the lack of a democratic form of goverment? Maybe some Japanese scholars can shed some light on this. Also does anyone have any references for the 1910 Japanese adaptation?

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:56 pm

DeHavilland, I cannot put into words just how awesome it is that you found those!

Humanracer: My reference to the 1910 Japanese movie was the Japanese wikipedia. They didn't have a source. Also, 1914 movie? To my knowledge there isn't one from 1914. If you mean 12/13 (yes, it's uncertain from when it actually is), that is okay, but nothing more. The one which would deserve such praise is the 1925 version. Also, yes, to my knowledge they were all silent and the first sound version the American one from 1929 or the French one from 33/34 (depends on which source you ask since the former movie is nowhere to be found).
Dark sarcasm ought to be taught at schools!

humanracer

Postby humanracer » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:20 pm

Trompe-la-Mort wrote:DeHavilland, I cannot put into words just how awesome it is that you found those!

Humanracer: My reference to the 1910 Japanese movie was the Japanese wikipedia. They didn't have a source. Also, 1914 movie? To my knowledge there isn't one from 1914. If you mean 12/13 (yes, it's uncertain from when it actually is), that is okay, but nothing more. The one which would deserve such praise is the 1925 version. Also, yes, to my knowledge they were all silent and the first sound version the American one from 1929 or the French one from 33/34 (depends on which source you ask since the former movie is nowhere to be found).

Yeah I am off the opinion now that the 1912/1913/1914 Capellani movies are one of the same. I think the differing dates come from the fact that no one really knows when the movie was officially released. The same goes for Capellani's 5 minute short of the opening scene of Les Misérables which predated his full length movie. I have seen both 1905 and 1907 listed as the release date for that.

I emailed Pathe about the 1925 version and if there was any update about the rumoured DVD release. I doubt I will hear anything back but you never know.

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:35 pm

I never saw it dated 1914, though... Where did you see that?
Actually, unless I completely misremember the movie's credit, the movie dated itself 1912... I'll dig up my notes about it to confirm that.
Great that you wrote them! Let's hope!
Dark sarcasm ought to be taught at schools!

humanracer

Postby humanracer » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:51 pm

The 1914 comes from US newspaper adverts for the movie. I would guess 1914 is when the movie was released in US theatres. It probably came out earlier in Europe.

Return to “Movies”