The earliest versions up to 1925

Go on about how awful the movie adaptations were here.
Auf die Barrikaden

The earliest versions up to 1925

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:49 pm

Are there any details, stills or surviving clips from the earliest movies, starting with the Lumière brothers 1897??

1897, Victor Hugo et les principaux personnages des misérables by the Lumière brothers
1907, On the barricade, directed Alice Guy Blaché, early adaptation of a part of the novel
1907, Le Chemineau
1909, directed by J. Stuart Blackton
1909, The Bishop's Candlesticks, directed by Edwin S. Porter
1910, Aa mujo, first Japanese adaptation
1911, directed by Albert Capellani
1913, directed again by Albert Capellani
1913, The Bishop's Candlesticks, directed Herbert Brenon, adaptation of the second book of the first volume
1917, directed by Frank Lloyd
1922, director unknown
1923, Aa Mujou, directed by Kiyohiko Ushihara and Yoshinobu Ikeda, Japanese film, production cancelled after two of four parts
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Trompe-la-Mort

Re: The earliest versions up to 1925

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:25 pm

I only know about the 1913 French version. A full copy survives at the Forum des images in Paris. And if those $§&!% didn't shut down entirely during August, I would now be in a position to tell more about it. They also have a full copy of the 1925 version. Also, while I have usually seen the two Capellani-movies from 1911 and '13 listed separately, I've also seen one source that just lists one movie by Capellani from 1912/13. In other words, there seems to be evidence that they are indeed only one movie (kind of makes sense, too: why would he make two adaptations of the same book just two years apart?)
One more thing I'll include for completeness' sake, but which should be taken with enormous amounts of salt: The 1909 Blackton-movie has appeared repeatedly on both amazon and ebay. I have asked details about it several times, but only one seller ever answered me and it was revealed that the version he was actually selling was the one with Richard Jordan.
Unfortunately, that's all I know.
Dark sarcasm ought to be taught at schools!

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:18 pm

A shame. But thanks for the input. So many great stuff of the early years of film forgotten and lost. Hope you get your chance to get to France on a better date to check on that.
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:04 am

Well, I did see the 1925 and the 1912/13 movies now. I will be posting more info in the respective threads soon!
Dark sarcasm ought to be taught at schools!

humanracer

Postby humanracer » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:41 am

Were all the early movies silent?

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:24 am

Without having seen all of them, I couldn't say for certain, but the first commercial screening of a film with synchronized sound was in 1923. I think it'd be safe to say that most, if not all of these were silent. Probably several would have had an accompanist that played the piano along with the screening though, but not necessarily.

The earliest two are actually on Youtube now.

1897, Victor Hugo et les principaux personnages des misérables by the Lumière brothers (starting at about 28:19) - Any guesses on who characters three and four are? My brain immediately jumps to Javert and Thenardier I guess, but really I've no clue.

and

1907, On the Barricade, directed by Alice Guy Blaché, an early adaptation of a part of the novel - I dunno. This doesn't look like any part of Les Mis to me, is it actually intended to be an adaptation of Les Mis or a representation of the barricades that France had a rich history of putting up completely with or without the novel?
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:10 pm

Shiny links. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

For three, do you mean the one with the beard? It reminds me more of that illustration of Valjean pre-Bishop than Javert. The one after him looks like Thernardier, though. Alright, I'm trying to figure them out, and honestly have no clue. My guesses:
-Victor Hugo
-...Javert? A judge? Is there a 113 that I've forgotten about? Valjean with a new number?
-...Myriel?
-Post-prison Jean or Javert in disguise, maybe
-Thernardier?
-Marius? Oh wait, I think that's the actor...

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:19 pm

Yeah, for three I meant the one with the beard. Sorry, I forgot Victor Hugo was number one. To me it looks like definitely Hugo, Convict!Valjean, and the Bishop, and then it's the last two that make me scratch my head. Such a silly little movie, I was hoping he'd do a Cosette.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:45 pm

Cosette would either be strangely adorable or just strange. :lol:

Maybe...maybe Beardy is Thernardier, and they were just going with a "Oh, con man, let's make him like Fagin" thing, but then the next one still doesn't look like Javert, unless they were just going way, way out there.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:54 pm

Kewl stuff!! :) Also, watch the Soviet Gavrosh cartoon (link in the movie links thread), it's wonderful!

The Bricklayer

Postby The Bricklayer » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:40 pm

deHavilland wrote:
1907, On the Barricade, directed by Alice Guy Blaché, an early adaptation of a part of the novel - I dunno. This doesn't look like any part of Les Mis to me, is it actually intended to be an adaptation of Les Mis or a representation of the barricades that France had a rich history of putting up completely with or without the novel?
This is based off of one of Hugo's poems "Sur Une Barricade" http://www.victorhugopasaia.net/archivos/archivo_fr_35.pdf. For once, I feel helpful.
Tomorrow will come no matter what, but it is up to you to make it better than today.

Proud Member of the Resident Combeferre Club.

humanracer

Postby humanracer » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:54 am

The Bricklayer wrote:
deHavilland wrote:
This is based off of one of Hugo's poems "Sur Une Barricade" http://www.victorhugopasaia.net/archivos/archivo_fr_35.pdf. For once, I feel helpful.

Thanks. So technically not an adaptation. I should remove it from the wikipedia page.

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:15 pm

Gervais wrote:Cosette would either be strangely adorable or just strange. :lol:

Maybe...maybe Beardy is Thernardier, and they were just going with a "Oh, con man, let's make him like Fagin" thing, but then the next one still doesn't look like Javert, unless they were just going way, way out there.

1: Victor Hugo
2: ConValjean
3: Bishop
4: Mayor/OldValjean (same pose as ConValjean)
5: Marius
6: Hey look what I just did in such a short time-it's movie magic! :mrgreen:

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:43 pm

Auf die Barrikaden wrote:
Gervais wrote:Cosette would either be strangely adorable or just strange. :lol:

1: Victor Hugo
2: ConValjean
3: Bishop
4: Mayor/OldValjean (same pose as ConValjean)
5: Marius
6: Hey look what I just did in such a short time-it's movie magic! :mrgreen:

It would make the most sense to do Marius for that fifth one, but wow rat-faced Marius. Bahaha. ;)

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:44 pm

It certainly would make sense to to Marius, but man, I'm with you there, Geronimo, that is one ugly Pontmercy. :lol: To me it resembles much more of what I think of when I picture Thenardier, but it's probably more likely that it is meant to be Marius, unfortunately enough.
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Return to “Movies”