Hot or Not?

Go on about how awful the movie adaptations were here.
livvy16

Hot or Not?

Postby livvy16 » Wed May 02, 2012 9:49 pm

Eddie Redmayne. The future Marius in the movie that comes out this December? Hot or not, what do you think?
In MY "humble" personal opinion, he is BUTT FRICKIN' UGLY. I honestly am sorry to those who are fans of him, but I can't help my feelings. And what bothers me even more is I don't know what I hate about him. Usually when I find a person unnatractive, I can specify what it is that ticks me off about their face. With Eddie I can't.
I showed a picture of him to one of my Mizzie friends, and she thought he was cute. Like REALLY cute. It bothers me.
Is there something wrong with me? Is there something wrong with her? Or is Eddie just one of those people that people can never agree if they're attractive or not?
Opinions please! Feel free to make your posts about him as detailed as possible. If theres something that you really hate/like about him, describe it as much as possible to help me make up my mind about what I hate about him.

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1192&bih=548&q=eddie+redmayne&gbv=2&oq=eddie+&aq=0&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_l=img.3.0.0l10.911.1761.0.3239.6.4.0.2.2.0.144.496.0j4.4.0...0.0.IJBh8Ym5YUk&safe=active

(The above is a link to a Google image search of him.)
Thanks for your help!

Jehans Rose

Re: Hot or Not?

Postby Jehans Rose » Thu May 03, 2012 11:28 pm

Yes and no. Granted, he isn't a stardard hottie, obviously. But he can easily be taken for the guy next door, which isn't bad at all. Marius strikes me as the typical boy next door kind of guy so I think that if Eddie could pull off the vocals, his looks will help him fall more naturally into the character. :)
"They heard a manly voice cry out: 'Vive la France! Long Live the Future!'
There was a flash and an explosion."

Mlle_Alexandrie

Postby Mlle_Alexandrie » Fri May 04, 2012 12:43 am

Okay, I second Jehan's Rose. He's not exactly handsome or anything, but he's not hideous, either.

Really, the only thing about him that bugs me slightly is the fact he's so freaking skinny. Like, to the point it makes his face look... off, because his cheeks are so thin it makes them look pinched-in, and his mouth look too large.

But, as Jehan's Rose said, it's the acting and singing that really matters. He doesn't look like my mental picture of Marius at all, but who knows? He could be the most brilliant Marius ever, we'll just have to wait and see. :D
"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."

livvy16

Postby livvy16 » Fri May 04, 2012 7:06 pm

[quote="Jehans Rose"]Granted, he isn't a stardard hottie, obviously. But he can easily be taken for the guy next door, which isn't bad at all. quote]
Thank you Jehan Rose! "The boy next door" image is kinda cute and makes me smile :) I will see if I can try to change my opinion of Eddie, but no promises

livvy16

Postby livvy16 » Fri May 04, 2012 7:10 pm

Mlle_Alexandrie wrote:Really, the only thing about him that bugs me slightly is the fact he's so freaking skinny. Like, to the point it makes his face look... off, because his cheeks are so thin it makes them look pinched-in, and his mouth look too large.

Mlle Alexandrie: I agree with you on the whole skinniness thing. Looking Anorexic is bad enough in girls, but I almost think it's worse in boys. His cheeks.... Oh my gosh, I HATE his cheeks.

But like both you and Jehan Rose said it's his musical and acting talent that REALLY matter so I'm going to try and get over his looks and just pay attention to his singing. I can't wait to see what my opinion of him is after the movie...

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Wed May 16, 2012 7:44 pm

I think he looks alright in this movie. In other stuff I've seen, I wouldn't say he's butt ugly, but yeah, so-so.

MSam

Postby MSam » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:34 am

Er honestly, it's just personal choice. I think he's pretty cute.

Charlette-Ollie

Postby Charlette-Ollie » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:10 am

I'm growing to like him. It would take a lot for me to call anybody ugly. I think his is that type of attractiveness that is so unusual you don't notice it at first. The only thing I dislike is that he doesn't look nearly derpy enough for Marius.

Simara

Postby Simara » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:24 pm

I personally don't think that he is good loocking. Infact, I think he doesn't look very much like a Marius at all...
Das Denken ist die Arbeit des Geistes, das Träumen seine Freude.

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:31 pm

Charlette-Ollie wrote:I'm growing to like him. It would take a lot for me to call anybody ugly. I think his is that type of attractiveness that is so unusual you don't notice it at first. The only thing I dislike is that he doesn't look nearly derpy enough for Marius.

Oh, I totally think he is very derpy looking, haha. That's why even though I'm like, oh, I wish I was more attracted he looks like a Marius to me. They should have made his hair darker though I think.

also hopefully Redmayne has an awesome voice to make up for it all :)

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:31 am

I think most guys who have been cast as Marius don't look anything like Marius. One of my favourites is Jean Servais in the 1934 French film - Marius isn't blond, but Servais angsts so perfectly it doesn't matter. Adored Tim Howar with the US Tour - who was so dead on my mental image of Courfeyrac I nearly started cracking up when I saw his headshot before the show. He acted and sang the role beautifully, but he's still a Courfeyrac. I ended up with a lot of affection for Steve Patterson, who succeeded him, who was blond and dorky and looked like an engineering student. Andrew Call, who did the role brilliantly at Signature, was a little surprised be cast because he's a total fratboy type, but his Marius was gorgeous and compelling and a real privilege to be able to see. Even the most recent I saw, Justin Scott Brown, looks absolutely nothing like Hugo described.

Even people who superficially matched the dark curly hair and an angsty expression haven't necessarily looked like Marius, whether it be Hugh Panaro or Jérôme Pradon. Adam Jacobs didn't match not because he has some Filipino background but because he's not actually angsty enough (he was derpy enough, though - I loved Adam even when I thought his Marius was a moron). The ones who get upright angsty perfect, like Dan Bogart or Jody Crosier, haven't been great physical matches to Hugo or to my mental image.

Since the vast majority haven't been perfect, I think Eddie Redmayne hardly qualifies as a poor physical match. (but then, I have a soft spot for anyone who can hold his own in a two-hander opposite Alfred Molina - I may not have enjoyed the script to Red, but I can still be dead sure Eddie Redmayne is a hell of an actor without having seen that original cast. That there's acting talent there means I think he'll be fine on that score.)
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:01 pm

I think most guys who have been cast as Marius don't look anything like Marius. One of my favourites is Jean Servais in the 1934 French film - Marius isn't blond, but Servais angsts so perfectly it doesn't matter.

I do think Servais looked like the Marius spot on except for the hair - his body and face pretty much matched Marius, imo, although I dunno if he had passionate nostrils :)

I think Eddie Redmayne's face actually fits Marius - looks derpy, and I have a weird thing where I think he is both ugly and hot. I don't know. It's weird. I can't quite get an idea of how tall/built he is though. I'm guessing he's bigger than Marius is described, he looks like he could be tall.

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:35 am

As long as he's shorter than Aaron Tveit, it should be fine.

Does anyone know WTF "passionate nostrils" look like?
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Col.Despard

Postby Col.Despard » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:21 am

I sort of see passionate nostrils as...flarey.
"The principles of freedom, of humanity, and of justice, will finally triumph over falsehood, tyranny and delusion, and every principle inimical to the interests of the human race" - Edward Despard, 1803
http://coloneldespard.deviantart.com/

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:05 pm

Ditto with the flaring. And I imagine them as somewhat large.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Return to “Movies”