64 italian miniseries

Go on about how awful the movie adaptations were here.
Martine Robespierre

64 italian miniseries

Postby Martine Robespierre » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:07 pm

This is not the awful 1940 version, is a 11 hours miniseries (in italian without subtitles) of 1964, the director is Sandro Bolchi; the filming is old and sometimes the acting is...not so good, but it seems even more accurate than the 57 movie, I saw only the first two episodes, and they quotes literally the book for the 80% of the time.
You can watch it in streaming herehttp://www.rai.tv/dl/RaiTV/programmi/media/ContentItem-a68a6e73-f5f4-437d-ab85-0da48e680bd0.html?p=0.
Since I am an Italian native speaker, I could translate it into English, let me know if someone is interested.
Rendre un homme heureux c'est mériter d'etre homme.
Jean Jacques Rousseau.

Entendons nous sur L'égalité; car, si la liberté est le sommet, l'égalité est la base.
Enjolras

Trompe-la-Mort

Re: 64 italian miniseries

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:42 pm

What annoyed me a bit about this one was the sometimes rather obviously painted background and cheap stages... Nevertheless, a great series, at least where the plot is concerned. The few scenes that are not 1:1 from the book make (nearly) perfect sense.
Therefore, I'm gonna take you up on that offer...
Actually, I got through most of the series without problems, but there are three scenes I could use help with:
1) Valjean is in bed at the bishop's house and there are a number of voices, apparently in his head. I don't understand most of them (should be episode 1)
2) In episode 4, there's a talk between Bamatabois, the chief of Madeleine's factory and a third man. Just the bit of the conversation from the question of how many years Madeleine was sentenced to and the question about what the newspapers write about the whole thing.
3) The Orion-scene (episode 4, right after the last scene)
Dark sarcasm ought to be taught at schools!

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:22 am

I'll take you up on the offer of translation too. Thanks!

Martine Robespierre

Postby Martine Robespierre » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:48 pm

@Trompe-la-Mort, here is the translation.
1 (voices in Valjean's head)
-Burglary
-It's a great wrong!
-It's easy to commit a burglary.
-To break a windowpane is housebreaking!
-To steal a loaf of bread is theft!

2 (conversation)
MAN- When did they condemn him?
FACTORY DIRECTOR- Last week, in Paris. It's nearly a year he has been captured, do you believe it?
MAN-By the way, what has become of his money?
FACTORY DIRECTOR- Well, it's a quite odd story, there are rumors...It seems that he managed to draw some money from Laffitte, he must have entrusted it to someone, or have buried it, I don't know. Anyway, he's a resourceful man, surely you heard that when he was being taken to Paris, he ran and he stayed hidden for a whole day!
MAN and BAMATABOIS- Yes, of course, we heard.
MAN-What about newspapers? What are they saying?
FACTORY DIRECTOR- For exemple, the Drapeau Blanc says "Jean Valjean, leader of a gang of escaped convicts , made the buismìnessman Madeleine disappear".
BAMATABOIS- Listen Vernon, your factory will be closed, isn't it?

3 (The Orion scene)
FIRST CONVICT- What's happened?!
SECOND CONVICT- A sailor is fallen!
FIRST CONVICT- Damn! He risks to be crushed between the Orion and the other ship!
PRISON OFFICER- Stay back! Go away!
FIRST CONVICT- What's the matter!?
PRISON OFFICER- Nothing! Stay away from the ship's side!
FIRST CONVICT- Did you see?
THIRD CONVICT- Did YOU see?
SECOND CONVICT- I didn't see him well, but one of us dove! He has broken his chain with a(n) hammer and...
FIRST CONVICT-...he's gone to rescue the sailor! That man is mad!
PRISON OFFICER- Look! He made it! He saved the sailor! They're lifting him up!
SECOND CONVICT- And the convict?!
FIRST CONVICT- He met his end.
PRISON OFFICER- Stay back!
THIRD CONVICT- But he saved a sailor! You'd let him die!
PRISON OFFICER- Stay back, I said!

Tell me if I forgot something.
@Ulkis, I'll start immediately the work, but is a very long work so it will take me much time, I'll do as soon as possible. :)
Rendre un homme heureux c'est mériter d'etre homme.
Jean Jacques Rousseau.

Entendons nous sur L'égalité; car, si la liberté est le sommet, l'égalité est la base.
Enjolras

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:22 pm

Don't worry about it Martin, take as much time as you want/do it at your own leisure.

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:45 pm

Yes! Thanks a lot!
Dark sarcasm ought to be taught at schools!

between4walls

Postby between4walls » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:16 pm

Watching this now from the beginning, rather than in bits and pieces, and it is so excellent. The only complaint I have so far is that they cut Petit Gervais.

The scene where Javert asks to be fired was word-for-word from the book...except where they worked in his backstory! Even better!
Here day embraces night, and says: I will die with you and you will be reborn with me. From the heavy embrace of all desolations springs faith.

The real name of devotion is disinterestedness.

between4walls

Postby between4walls » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:18 pm

And this Fantine...not quite book Fantine, but so loveable and sad. She's conscious that she's not all that bright, not clever about the ways of the world (her so-called friends keep telling her this, and she calls herself stupid). Yet this isn't enough to stop her from trusting the Thenardiers after she's been betrayed by Tholomyes.
Here day embraces night, and says: I will die with you and you will be reborn with me. From the heavy embrace of all desolations springs faith.

between4walls

Postby between4walls » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:19 pm

This is also the one and only adaptation with the Le Cabuc scene.

Lord Jon Connington

Postby Lord Jon Connington » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:21 am

I'm currently watching this (6 episodes in) and so far I'm squeeing because it has so many little book things. They even showed Valjean and Cosette living in the Gorbeau house and the coffin escape! So far the only thing I didn't like was the Waterloo play. It's just godawful. I get it's meta in a "we don't have the budget for the battle" way, but seriously, not even the effects were decent.

On the other hand, I'm absolutely loving this Fantine. I want to hug her.

And Javert seems very likeable. He's probably the only one who doesn't go for the "must look intimidating 24/7" approach. And he mentioned his parents.

Lugitum

Postby Lugitum » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:00 am

I bought the full 1964 Italian version on dvd from Amazon Italy. I have seen/heard many Les Misérables adaptations and this is probably the best major tv/film/radio adaptation that I haven't seen/heard yet. I've seen maybe four episodes and thought they were great, I will have to finish it. What adaptations have you watched/heard?

For me by far my favorite is the 2007 Japanese television animated series adaptation which is about 22 hours. After this my favorite would be either the 1934 France film or the 1935 Usa film (I'm biased since it's the first Les Misérables adaptation I saw, but it's not a "very well made" adaptation) or the 2001 UK radio adaptation.

Return to “Movies”