Question about 1982 miniseries

Go on about how awful the movie adaptations were here.
Marianne

Re: Question about 1982 miniseries

Postby Marianne » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:35 am

Yeah, the constant griminess is just as annoying in its way as the overly-scrubbed look of the '57 film. I know they wanted to emphasize the misérables aspect but it's constantly filthy, constantly rainy, there's barely any difference in grime and murkiness between social stations, and the general effect is no hope or contrast whatsoever--even Marius and Cosette are unduly grim and never seem to smile! The students are vaguely tattered and covered in mud, Valjean's apartment is a dim unplastered hole in the wall, his death scene is melodramatic instead of peaceful... there's a sort of levelling effect when everything is horrible all the time.

One of the most astute comments made about the design for the new tour of the musical is Hugo's love of chiaroscuro. You can see it in his artwork, but it's also clear in his writings, where he often plays on contrast and paradox with no other purpose than artistic effect. We joke about his verbal tics and his fondness for abysses and shadows and sepulchres, but he's just as fond of horizons and stars and lightning. It's the old grotesque/sublime interplay in action. I don't offhand recall seeing a film that made good use of that in the design.
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.
- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

Maria Combeferre

Postby Maria Combeferre » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:43 pm

I haven't seen this version yet, just a few clips on youtube, but I would really like to.

Trouble is, I'm having some difficulty in getting hold of it.

Any ideas?

collectingbees

Postby collectingbees » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:06 pm

I haven't seen this version yet, either, but would really like to. Apparently it has the only completely accurate Gorbeau robbery ( insert squee!). Also, is it just me, or does the Éponine in this version look like Björk? ( I actually think Éponine's pretty hot in this version...)

hazellwood

Postby hazellwood » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:12 pm

Try searching "les misérables lino ventura" on ebay.fr. There are about a million VHS/DVDs of it there for under 20 bucks.

Alternatively, you could just download it here. (Ulkis posted that first on the 'What's the worst in the movies thread', by the way.)

DVD = better quality, though.

Frédérique

Postby Frédérique » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:01 am

The Gorbeau robbery is not completely accurate, or at least the resolution is not. But it's closer than most :D
(I think the Éponine looks a bit like Nico [in a non-blonde phase], actually. Not sure about Björk.)

collectingbees

Postby collectingbees » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:56 am

I found it on Amazon on BluRay in a non-US compatible format. :/ (it was pretty cheap though!) I know that I want it on dvd, but I don't know how to get around the format stuff. It's on my list of "stuff I want." I also don't know if that downloading format is compatible with Mac (I am so lame, I know).

Speaking of!!!: for Loyalty of Villains I have this entire Montparnasse back story where I drew him looking exactly the way he looks in the mini-series.. without every having seen or screen caps of it until today! How amazing am I? :D

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:34 am

There are programs designed to change DVDs to different formats/regions -- try searching the internet for PAL to NTSC conversion or change region on DVD or other such search terms. ;)
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:17 am

And I think most dvd players play different regions anyway. If not your DVD player, than your computer.

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:26 am

I don't know about newer computers, but mine only allows a total of 5 region changes -- the 5th is how it stays forever. Even on your computer you want to convert it to region-free.
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

collectingbees

Postby collectingbees » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:30 am

That is quite awesome to know! Thanks, ladies! :D

silverwhistle

Postby silverwhistle » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:03 pm

MmeJavert wrote:I don't know about newer computers, but mine only allows a total of 5 region changes -- the 5th is how it stays forever. Even on your computer you want to convert it to region-free.

A way around this is to use VLC as your computer video player. It's entirely region-free software.
- Entends-tu? je t'aime! cria-t-il encore.
- Quel amour! dit la malheureuse en frémissant.
Il reprit: - L'amour d'un damné.

Victor Hugo, Notre Dame de Paris

Maria Combeferre

Postby Maria Combeferre » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:09 am

Do you know if there's any place on the web where one can wathch it without having to download it?

I'm having some trouble with the files under the link above :(

Oh, and I'm also having some difficulty finding a subtitled DVD edition. Is that becouse thera are none or becouse I'm looking in all the wrong places again?

santsprz

Postby santsprz » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:51 am

Maria Combeferre

Postby Maria Combeferre » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:49 pm

I'm felling really hopeless but I'm not used to doing theese things. :oops:

Thanks to the much apritiated help from you guys I've now managed to get a hold of the movie! :D

Subtitles would be emensley helpfull, though. I was wondering if any kind spirit could direct me to some english ones? *smiling my sweetest smile* I would be very much obliged :wink:
It's easier to be odd or crazy or insane than to hurt all the time.

Be who you are and say what you mean. Because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail.

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:40 pm

I don't think there are any English subtitles--at least, I could never find any on my copy of the DVD.
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.

- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

Return to “Movies”