Les Misérables 1998

Go on about how awful the movie adaptations were here.
Prisoner 24653

Re: Les Misérables 1998

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:00 pm

Now that I think about it, it's entirely possible that the director of the Baden production watched the 1998 film and was influenced quite a bit by it. That may explain a lot. Though the French miniseries with Depardieu had the "handcuffed Javert slowly and calmly wading into the river" thing that Baden ended up using, so perhaps it was both.

And yeah... This movie had a lot of "that's so not Valjean" moments; but just standing there, watching Javert cuff himself and drop into the water, and calmly walking away with a bit of a smile (and then the credits rolling) takes the cake. >_<

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:57 pm

I'm afraid I said "That's not how it was in the book!" enough to annoy my friend I saw it with, but on the positive side she said she'd re-read the book now because she had forgotten so many details.
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Postby 23623 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:33 pm

Ulkis wrote:I've seen better but I've seen worse.

There's worse? God have mercy. I really dread to think about what could be worse than: cutting Éponine and Enjolras + weird Valjean and Fantine relationship + screen version of Baden Mis "Final Battle" + Valjean watching Javert die with a smile + Valjean hitting Cosette + Javert telling Cosette...that.

Prisoner 24653 wrote:And yeah... This movie had a lot of "that's so not Valjean" moments; but just standing there, watching Javert cuff himself and drop into the water, and calmly walking away with a bit of a smile (and then the credits rolling) takes the cake. >_<

And I had never expected that this could happen at that time when I was ranting over and over again about a Javert smirking at the dead bodies after the barricade falls. Really, wonders never cease. :roll:

As for Javert handcuffing himself... do you guys hate it because you've seen it done so many times that you're really tired of this cliche, or just hate it right away the first time you see it in a movie/stage production?
Revolution, but civilization

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:41 pm

23623 wrote:
Ulkis wrote:I've seen better but I've seen worse.

There's worse? God have mercy. I really dread to think about what could be worse
I don't know what could be worse, but sooner or later somebody's going to put it in a movie. Considering the long term, that book isn't going to go away and movies aren't going to go away and people willing to meddle with original material will appear in an unending stream.

As for Javert handcuffing himself... do you guys hate it because you've seen it done so many times that you're really tired of this cliche, or just hate it right away the first time you see it in a movie/stage production?

Hated it as soon as I saw it. It's just gross. I don't know why I feel that way about it. The suicide in 1998 is kind of half-assed and then away goes jolly Jean grinning his head off. I hate to say this, but the more I think about it the worse I think that movie was.
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Caius Cassius

Postby Caius Cassius » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:22 pm

I kind of love this movie in a guilty pleasure way, like I love Lynch's Dune. It's so bad. Perfect for a drinking game.

Geoffrey Rush makes it watchable, although the ending really made me wish Valjean could just take the Paragon Interrupt and save him.
"Does this unit have a soul?" - Legion, Mass Effect

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:37 pm

I thought the Michael Rennie film ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044907/ ) . I also thought that the Frederic March version was worse as well, or at least no better than this one. I think, in regards to that film in comparison to this one it depends on what one prefers to be taken from the book.

Return to “Movies”