What's on your 'wish list' for the new BBC series?

Go on about how awful the movie adaptations were here.
Acaila

Re: What's on your 'wish list' for the new BBC series?

Postby Acaila » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:04 am

While I'm not expecting anything to live up to my headcanons, I think the one thing that would put this adaptation into the unforgivable territory is if it got any of the Amis really outright *wrong*. Like, Enjolras flirting with women, or mixing up Bossuet and Prouvaire, or something like that.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:58 am

Right, hence my "downplay the amis" because it gives them less opportunity to do so than say, putting in 6 hours of Ami-time. You know they'd make up some fanon-level nonsense and give someone some new character girlfriend or whatever.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:43 pm

Just keep expectations low and be pleasently surprised when they get something right lol. (I think that was how a lot of people approached the movie when it was in production.)

Something I suspect they might do is make some of them a composite character, to trim down the cast and give this 'character' more screen time. So you might get a Combeferre/Courfeyrac hybrid as Enjolras' right hand man. They probably won't include all of them either.

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:57 am

I really hope they do the Gavroche/Enjolras exchange at the barricade about the guns. That would be awesome :)
Lamarque est mort [disco dances patriotically]

humanracer

Postby humanracer » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:49 pm

Going off topic slightly but you know what I would like? A version that combines the story of Victor Hugo's life and the writing of Les Misérables with the plot of the novel itself. Might be hard to pull off I know.

tatselk

Postby tatselk » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:20 am

To not follow in the steps of the previous Les Mis movies! Haha. :lol: But seriously (in no particular order):

1. More depiction of how wretched Valjean's life in Toulon was, in order to show his angst and the contrast of what he achieved later in life.

2. Don't turn Valjean into a saintly figure. Show his moments of weakness (e.g. stealing from Little Gervais, wishing that God would intervene in him denouncing himself at Champmathieu's trial, hating Marius for stealing Cosette away etc.). I think the closest depiction of this is the 2000 French miniseries starring Gerard Depardieu as Valjean. Although I have to admit that he was a tad too scary. :D

3. More complete backstory on Fantine, including what a jerk Tholomyès is.

4. More characterisation of the Les Amis and details on their working for their cause. Aside from Enjolras and Grantaire, there is a tendency to just group the rest into a random, anonymous mass of idealistic young men.

5. More details on how Marius fell out with his grandfather and how he waffled back and forth on his political views.

6. Appropriate aging of the characters throughout the series, to reflect the span of time which the Brick covers.

7. Ensure that the the look/ feel of the actors resemble the characters in the Brick. So far, I don't think I have come across a single version of Les Mis whereby all the main characters are well-cast... In my opinion, in the 1978 movie, Javert was pretty much perfectly cast and everyone else was... nowhere close to what they should be. The same happened with Marius V.S. everyone else in the 2000 miniseries. And again, in the 2012 movie, vis a vis Fantine (other than the hair/ eye colour), Cosette and Enjolras V.S. everyone else.

CC21106 wrote:Getting out of and back into the convent via coffin. Red-blooded action suspense, which is somewhat rare in the book, at least proportionately. Another one was when they were trapped in the alley with policemen at each end and he has to climb up the wall using his convict escape skill. Good action suspense there, too.

I like old Fauchelevent's interview with the mother superior about burying the nun in the crypt.

SAME. Sadly, I think these parts of the Brick are probably the first to go as they don't really add to the progression of the storyline. :(

Postby 23623 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:02 am

tatselk wrote:To not follow in the steps of the previous Les Mis movies! Haha. :lol: But seriously (in no particular order):

1. More depiction of how wretched Valjean's life in Toulon was, in order to show his angst and the contrast of what he achieved later in life.

2. Don't turn Valjean into a saintly figure. Show his moments of weakness (e.g. stealing from Little Gervais, wishing that God would intervene in him denouncing himself at Champmathieu's trial, hating Marius for stealing Cosette away etc.). I think the closest depiction of this is the 2000 French miniseries starring Gerard Depardieu as Valjean. Although I have to admit that he was a tad too scary. :D

3. More complete backstory on Fantine, including what a jerk Tholomyès is.

4. More characterisation of the Les Amis and details on their working for their cause. Aside from Enjolras and Grantaire, there is a tendency to just group the rest into a random, anonymous mass of idealistic young men.

5. More details on how Marius fell out with his grandfather and how he waffled back and forth on his political views.

6. Appropriate aging of the characters throughout the series, to reflect the span of time which the Brick covers.

7. Ensure that the the look/ feel of the actors resemble the characters in the Brick. So far, I don't think I have come across a single version of Les Mis whereby all the main characters are well-cast... In my opinion, in the 1978 movie, Javert was pretty much perfectly cast and everyone else was... nowhere close to what they should be. The same happened with Marius V.S. everyone else in the 2000 miniseries. And again, in the 2012 movie, vis a vis Fantine (other than the hair/ eye colour), Cosette and Enjolras V.S. everyone else.

CC21106 wrote:Getting out of and back into the convent via coffin. Red-blooded action suspense, which is somewhat rare in the book, at least proportionately. Another one was when they were trapped in the alley with policemen at each end and he has to climb up the wall using his convict escape skill. Good action suspense there, too.

I like old Fauchelevent's interview with the mother superior about burying the nun in the crypt.

SAME. Sadly, I think these parts of the Brick are probably the first to go as they don't really add to the progression of the storyline. :(

100% agreed.

One more thing about Fantine. I hate it that in many adaptations (including the musical) Fantine is reduced to a mere plot device. The whole point of her existence is to introduce Cosette. Perhaps this is the reason why some people think she's a boring character - how can the audience feel for her since they barely know anything about her before she dies? Admittedly Fantine's characterization isn't perfect in the book either. She's basically the stereotypical damsel in distress who Hugo used as an example to show how wretched the life of the poor was. (Same is true of the mother (I forget her name) in '93) BUT. The fact that a character is cliched doesn't mean that there's nothing valuable in them. It's not an excuse to downplay their role. I feel really happy for Marius and Cosette even though their romance is pretty cliched, and I still feel genuinely sad for Fantine even though I know perfectly well where her story is heading. So...yeah, I really wish there's an adaptation that includes the complete backstory of Fantine. Also - I had never considered this until I dug up a Les Mis timeline somewhere the other day - I want an actress closer to Fantine's actual age. I was so shocked by the fact that Fantine was actually only 19 when Cosette was born. (Jesus, that makes her younger than ME. :shock: ) No wonder she was such a naive girl full of romantic fantasies. She could be dreaming about Tholomyes the same way Cosette dreamed about Marius. (This is a bit far-fetched but I also notice that the Fantine in 1815 was roughly the same age as Éponine and Cosette in 1832, and I can't help but think about the different fates of the three young girls :cry: ) But then *things* happened. This was the turning point of her life. She was no longer a little girl but a mother. The change of role must be really difficult for a young lady in her situation, but she faced it bravely. She ended up sacrificing everything, including her life for Cosette. I don't think there will be as many people who think Fantine is boring or find it hard to feel for her if we get to see the whole picture. Fantine deserves as much attention as Éponine, les amis and Javert. Her sacrifice is no less honorable than theirs.
Revolution, but civilization

Caius Cassius

Postby Caius Cassius » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:18 pm

I really hope they don't turn Javert into a villain. I had to watch another Lawful Neutral fave being character assassinated and then butchered on an extremely overrated tv show and I stopped watching. I'm still angry two years later. It wasn't the only terrible thing they did, just the last straw.

Also: hoping for little details like Gavroche's brothers, Mabeuf or a well-done Gorbeau ambush.
"Does this unit have a soul?" - Legion, Mass Effect

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:56 pm

23623 wrote:
One more thing about Fantine. . . But then *things* happened. This was the turning point of her life. She was no longer a little girl but a mother. The change of role must be really difficult for a young lady in her situation, but she faced it bravely. She ended up sacrificing everything, including her life for Cosette. I don't think there will be as many people who think Fantine is boring or find it hard to feel for her if we get to see the whole picture. Fantine deserves as much attention as Éponine, les amis and Javert. Her sacrifice is no less honorable than theirs.

Good thoughts there about Fantine. She really was a mere kid when that jerk came along and seduced her.
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Return to “Movies”