Random Idle Speculation

Talk about Boublil and Schonberg's stage adaptation here.
Schmerg_The_Impaler

Postby Schmerg_The_Impaler » Tue May 20, 2008 7:52 pm

I love not feeling older than Hugh for once. He's ten years older than I am, but he generally looks and often acts so young that I feel like he's younger.

This is my favourite (uitterly ancient) picture of him, actually-- he looks like such a dork.
I am playing the Queen of France right now in a play. Try not to decapitate me.

MllePaula

Postby MllePaula » Tue May 20, 2008 9:22 pm

Oh man...I love the awfulness of that photo. I found it in a box of old promo photos at the Broadway Flea Market right after I started his site and I think my reaction was something along the lines of "OMG HUGH!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: "

I'm not sure he even knows I have that on the site. He's too technophobic to look at the site himself and he trusts me with the content.

When I go back to see him later this summer and things are a little less chaotic compared to opening night, I should ask him to sign it...just to see the look on his face when I pull that out of my portfolio.

I do love to give him a hard time.

Frédéric Dumont

Postby Frédéric Dumont » Wed May 21, 2008 8:40 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rehearsing One Day More or what?

aka Darth Gilthoron
I am the lawrr and the lawrr is not mocked! *growl*
THE BLOOD OF THE SPAMBOTS SHALL WATER THE MEADOWS OF FRANCE!!!

Schmerg_The_Impaler

Postby Schmerg_The_Impaler » Wed May 21, 2008 7:46 pm

I love how drunk the Enjolras looks, too.

Incidentally, Citizen Aku and I were filling out a history packet at lunch, ten minutes before it was due, and one of the questions was something like 'what was proven by the 1830 revolution' or something, so Aku just scribbled down, "Enjolras is stoic-er than you." ^_^ I wonder what her teacher will think about that.

SylvieProuvaire1832

Postby SylvieProuvaire1832 » Wed May 21, 2008 7:56 pm

Speaking of which, how is she? We miss her.
Have courage for the greatest sorrows of life and patience for the small ones, and when you have labouriously acomplished your daily tasks, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.

MllePaula

Postby MllePaula » Wed May 21, 2008 8:01 pm

Stoic-er???

Anyhow, I'm in Philly...messing with free wireless while I wait for my friend Jan to pick me up at the train station.

Curtain rises at seven tonight. :D

Frédéric Dumont

Postby Frédéric Dumont » Fri May 23, 2008 8:45 am

And??

aka Darth Gilthoron

I am the lawrr and the lawrr is not mocked! *growl*

THE BLOOD OF THE SPAMBOTS SHALL WATER THE MEADOWS OF FRANCE!!!

MllePaula

Postby MllePaula » Fri May 23, 2008 12:58 pm

And this was the best production of Les Misérables that I've ever seen. I haven't loved the show this much since the 1st National Tour.

Here are two press reviews:

Regardless of where or how “Les Miz” is produced, its success generally rides on the actor playing Valjean--one of the most demanding roles of all time. Broadway vet Hugh Panaro fills the difficult bill in a seemingly effortless fashion.

His multi-octave voice is, of course, wondrous (if it weren’t he wouldn’t have the part). But the native Philadelphian’s acting is equally superb. He forcefully conveys the many emotions--anger, moral outrage and self-pity among them--that roil his character’s psyche.

- from Courier Post

And another...

Hugh Panaro gives an outstanding performance in the Walnut Theatre's remarkably nuanced production of the epic musical....The show's chief asset is Broadway veteran Hugh Panaro's robust, passionate, and delicately sung performance as Jean Valjean, the convict who must make a new life for himself all the while running from the doggedly unforgiving Inspector Javert (rendered powerfully, if sometimes woodenly, by Paul Schoeffler). Panaro, who has long scraggy hair and a Robinson Crusoe-like beard as the show begins, transforms remarkably over the17 years covered in the musical. After Valjean's release from prison, the actor emerges with matinee-idol good looks that eventually give way to an elder statesman hunkyness that brings to mind Charlton Heston before his NRA days.

- from Theatermania

Those reviews make me so happy because Hugh truly, truly deserved them. The audience buzz during intermission and following the standing ovations was very enthusiastic and, at the after-party, his costars like Paul and Josh were praising Hugh constantly.

As personal bias aside, Hugh was the best Valjean I've ever seen. Any doubts about whether he looks mature enough or has the physical stature to pull it off are unneeded. He was perfect. I went in with very high expectations and, well, he exceeded them. Last year, I told someone that every time I think I know how incredible Hugh is, he does something to amaze me all over again.

His performance was, for me, emotionally overwhelming at times.

I'll try to do a bit of a review by scene...because there are a lot of moments that stood out for me. I'll do that either later this morning or when I get home from work tonight.

But I have to comment on his "Bring Him Home." Vocally, it was exquisite enough to make me cry. And his acting was incredible. He made the song what it was meant to be...a prayer. A beautiful, desperate prayer and it came right from his heart and soul.

I'll comment on the rest of the cast later, but I have to give props to Josh Young. He is a wonderful Marius. A gorgeous voice and he made me like Marius again...something I hadn't done since seeing Hugh in the role. I can't wait to see him in this again and in future roles. He's a total sweetheart. After chatting with him on Facebook for a couple of weeks, it was great to meet him. And he's so dreamy looking...I have a photo with myself, Hugh, and Josh...and I hope it turned out well.

The after-party was quite fun. Nothing as big and fussy as the "Lestat" premiere.

I got the longest hug ever from Hugh. We haven't seen each other face-to-face for ages and, when he saw me, he said, "Paula!!!!!!!" And hugged me so long that I was wondering if he was ever going to let me go!

We continued our little tradition of having him sign my leather jacket for each role I see him in...Phantom, Lestat, Bobby from "Company," and now this.

He said, "You brought the jacket!!!!" He asked me where I wanted it signed. I told him to decide himself. He picked a spot on the left front below the shoulder and wrote:

A Image Full of Love on the Opening Night of Les Misérables - XOXO - Hugh Panaro and added a little arrow that, when the jacket is worn, points towards my heart.

He's just too sweet.

We also kept up our tradition of doing a little video for the site...the light was bad, but it's so cute.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8W_66EdPC_g

More details and pics later.

[/img]

MllePaula

Postby MllePaula » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:30 pm

I just realized I forgot to post my review here.

Paula's Opening Night Review

It's too long for me to just copy.

I actually edited out one little comment about Gavroche. I thought he was very cute and tough, but he looked more like a Cabbage Patch Kid than a street urchin from a 19th-century slum. Never mind that I think Cabbage Patch Kids are adorable...the kid is the son of the artistic director who sort of raked Hugh over the coals for MY comment. Oy vey.
:roll:

MllePaula

Postby MllePaula » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:09 pm

Hate to triple-post...but there's an excellent podcast with Hugh about Les Miz (and other things):

http://dctheatrescene.com/2008/07/01/hugh-panaro/

Schmerg_The_Impaler

Postby Schmerg_The_Impaler » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:18 pm

Paula-- my theatre teacher said awhile ago that she thought John Cudia would be coming to our school, and said that he played the Phantom and Jean Valjean.

Today, she said that a guy who played the Phantom and Valjean would be coming to our school to give a talk and answer questions and sing some... but this time the name that she gave was HUGH PANARO.

I'm really hoping that this isn't a mistake and that she meant to say John Cudia. I'm hoping that he's really coming. That would be amazing-- I've never seen Hugh live, and I really love his voice.

MllePaula

Postby MllePaula » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:19 pm

Oh, you HAVE to keep me updated. If you want to PM me with the name of the school, I'll check with Hugh, but he can be so erratic about checking his e-mails...he might not read it in time.

When is he supposed to be coming?

Schmerg_The_Impaler

Postby Schmerg_The_Impaler » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:36 pm

My drama teacher was really vague... I think she said it'd be sometime in... December? She's kind of old and batty, so again, I'm really hoping she didn't misspeak when she said "Hugh Panaro." I'll talk to her about it tomorrow at the auditions for the school play, so you don't go and ask Hugh and then it turns out that it was never him afterall.

If he does come, I'll have to remember to leave my Hugh-as-Valjean math binder in my locker. I wouldn't want to terrify him away with that!

MllePaula

Postby MllePaula » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:47 pm

Schmerg_The_Impaler wrote:My drama teacher was really vague... I think she said it'd be sometime in... December? She's kind of old and batty, so again, I'm really hoping she didn't misspeak when she said "Hugh Panaro." I'll talk to her about it tomorrow at the auditions for the school play, so you don't go and ask Hugh and then it turns out that it was never him afterall.

If he does come, I'll have to remember to leave my Hugh-as-Valjean math binder in my locker. I wouldn't want to terrify him away with that!

I love vague teachers...had lots of them.

I know Hugh is going to be in San Francisco for a couple of days in mid-December. The 19th, I think...he's got a concert out there.

Hugh won't be terrified by your binder. He'd be amused.

Schmerg_The_Impaler

Postby Schmerg_The_Impaler » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:37 am

HE'S COMING ON NOVEMBER FIFTH.

I am squeeful.

Return to “Stage”