Going specifically to see a certain performer

Talk about Boublil and Schonberg's stage adaptation here.
abbyreads

Going specifically to see a certain performer

Postby abbyreads » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:22 pm

Okay, so as the thread title suggests, I have a question about traveling to a show to see a specific performer. Long story short, my little brother only likes musical theater because he saw Ramin Karimloo in the Les Mis and POTO 25th Anniversary shows on TV, so when he found out Karimloo would be playing Valjean a mere 10 hours away, he really wanted to go. I haven't bought tickets yet, but we're pretty much sure we're going to go. However, I really don't want to drive 20 hours in a weekend to find he's not playing the night we're seeing the show. I know that that could happen at any point, but I was wondering if there could be a rhyme or reason to figuring out shows big names might have a better chance of performing at. I'm a minimum wage earning college kid, so I'm thinking a midweek matinee would be best, but it clearly wouldn't be best if RK's saving it up for the weekend and not performing then, y'know? If anyone has any advice or words of wisdom or whatever, I'd appreciate it.

Acaila

Re: Going specifically to see a certain performer

Postby Acaila » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:12 pm

I haven't heard that they're using an alternate for Valjean in Toronto as they do often in London, but I don't know that midweek matinee would actually be the best one. Monday nights and at least one matinee are what alternates tend to cover, so I'd say Friday/Saturday nights probably safer as they are the big shows.

Toronto is probably harder than New York or London where there are websites devoted to cataloguing when actors are supposed to be on holiday (I used one a couple of years ago to align my trip to London to match with Alfie Boe's holiday week because ick!), especially because it's not an openended run either.

I don't know if Ramin is quite an active or interactive tweeter, but that's the sort of thing I would do - fire him off a quick message saying "Hi, we're really keen to come and see you as my bro is a big fan, do you have any time off arranged so we can be more sure of seeing you?" No guarantee you'll get an answer, but it's definitely worth a shot :).

But all that is for scheduled breaks, and sometimes, things do happen and that is unfortunately just a part of live theatre. Then again, understudies are often totally amazing (I still have a good laugh about people tutting in the audience at John Owen-Jones being off for a show, and then getting served up the phenomenally good Christopher Jacobsen instead <3 ) So by all means, go for Karimloo, but there's no reason at all to let it ruin the experience if you get there and he's down with flu.

Also, our own deHavilland is probably going to be a good source of info on the Toronto production, so once it's up and running, we might be able to find out more via her, since hopefully we can peer pressure her in to pretty much camping out at the theatre :twisted:
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:05 am

Toronto theatres are all dark on Mondays, there's no shows. It's already been determined/announced that Ramin's going to have one extra day off per week, most likely on a single show day (Tuesday, Thursday, Friday or Sunday) if the way he throws "day off" instead of "performance" or "night off" around is anything to go by. Wednesdays and Saturdays are two-show days and Sundays are just a matinee. (Though it's possible that, like Acaila said, he'll take a Wednesday or Saturday matinee off, but I think it'd almost be safer to say he takes off Thursday after a two-show weekday, then is on for the three-show weekend and has Monday off. That's how I'd do it if I was picking my own days off, anyway, bahaha.)

He's currently in talks to determine which day he'll have off and has promised to tweet it as soon as he knows, since people keep asking about it. As of yet, he hasn't said which day it'll be.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:26 am

Traditionally with the tour (since that's where most of my experience is), Valjean got one show off per week. Randal Keith would usually take his show off at some point to break up the 5 show weekends. (friday evening, Saturday matinee, Saturday evening, Sunday matinee, Sunday evening - can you blame the man for trying not to do five shows in three days?) If they were running 8 in 5s or axed the Sunday evening to have a Wednesday matinee, the Wednesday matinee would frequently (but not always - plenty of factors at play) be the one he'd take off.

I'm going to guess that if they are encouraging Ramin to take a day off rather than a show off, and they are doing Wednesday matinees, that the best idea would be to take Thursday off. Rest up after a two-show day. They really do prefer that the lead go on for Friday and Saturday evenings, as those are your biggest sale days.

If Ramin simply gets one show off per week, it'll probably be the Wednesday matinee that gets the axe because it eliminates a two-show day on the less lucrative performance. When Phantom is running with alternates, you can guarantee an alternate on a Wednesday matinee for that reason.

But you're best off waiting to hear more, since they seem to be trying something different than usual with this scheduling.
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:12 pm

MmeBahorel wrote:But you're best off waiting to hear more, since they seem to be trying something different than usual with this scheduling.

Not really, this is how Toronto shows do it. Whatever's housed in the Princess typically always takes the Wednesday double show and the Saturday double show.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:26 pm

Heh, I knew you'd bring the Toronto goods :D . So do shows do Sunday nights instead of Monday in Toronto usually then?
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:34 pm

Nope, Sundays are usually a 1:30 matinee with no evening performance.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:58 pm

I guess it's the religion-rooted tradition that makes any Sunday performances rarer over here. Some WE shows do them now because they're usually better attended than Monday nights, but Brits are slow to change habits! Sunday matinees would definitely make multi-show theatre weekends easier from an audience point of view :).
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:25 pm

It also means that the cast and crew has a little bit more of a weekend than if they had a show the evening before their day off. It's more like a day and a half off instead, since the theatre usually goes dark following the Sunday matinee. They save any lengthy understudy rehearsals or what have you for single-show days where there's no matinee.

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:35 am

No no, I meant Valjean scheduling, not theatre scheduling. The sitdowns are usually like this, I agree. I simply meant literally scheduling a performance off by "something different" to the traditional getting a performance off.

I wasn't jumping topics - the last sentence still related directly to the first sentence, though I see how the middle bit didn't really make that transition well.

ETA: And I realise I'm still making no sense. US theatres generally run on a Tuesday through Sunday week, with two shows on Saturday and Sunday, unless a midweek (nearly always Wednesday) matinee is taken, in which case the Sunday evening show is usually (but not always) the one axed. When the tour was running back in my day, the tour stops of more than two week duration - the sit downs - generally had Wednesday matinees. Which is why a theatre schedule like that for TO is entirely expected.
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:58 am

UPDATE: Ramin will in fact be taking Thursdays off.

As both Mme Bahorel and I predicted. ;)

Return to “Stage”