Les Misérables (new non-musical show) production diary

Talk about Boublil and Schonberg's stage adaptation here.
Acaila

Re: Les Misérables (new non-musical show) production diary

Postby Acaila » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:44 pm

Oh no that's awful :o I probably wouldn't have been able to resist giving the theatre a piece of my mind, productive or not!
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

brixhamlaura

Postby brixhamlaura » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:49 pm

It would not have been a good idea today, my language on the subject would have made profanity look civil!
Les Mis fan...
Highly chuffed to be directing a (non-musical) stage show based on aforementioned brilliant Victor Hugo novel, in 2013 - http://southdevonplayers.weebly.com

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:57 pm

*snort*
I honestly believe that I never truly knew how to swear until my first professional theatre job, uncivil language tends to come with the territory :lol:
Abaisse Chief/Chef

brixhamlaura

Postby brixhamlaura » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:05 pm

It does indeed, lol.
Les Mis fan...
Highly chuffed to be directing a (non-musical) stage show based on aforementioned brilliant Victor Hugo novel, in 2013 - http://southdevonplayers.weebly.com

brixhamlaura

Postby brixhamlaura » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:07 pm

YAY!
New dates sorted.
So: we will now be performing September 19th- 22nd

That plus we have been asked to perform a couple of scenes or so at a carnival in July - we had already booked our cast into the carnival parade hahaha- and will be performing at least two, maybe three, street theatre publicity stunts with the barricade boys (and anyone else from the cast, or any friends, who want to put on a costume, who can turn up for two or three hours) as well... with some interest from the local TV and radio in our one at the Torquay town centre street market!

So all is good again.
Les Mis fan...

brixhamlaura

Postby brixhamlaura » Thu May 09, 2013 12:08 pm

The "barricade boys" rally publicity stunt on August 31st in Torquay at the market is getting bigger and bigger. The BBC want to cover it for the local news, plus the local paper and radio, and now the Mayor is planning on attending AND getting involved in the stunt - ideas for that involvement are being tossed around at the moment... I have suggested (off the top of my head) either a verbal confrontation with Enjolras and co, or unexpected support for their cause - that is in keeping with the theme of the publicity stunt as already planned. We will see.
Les Mis fan...

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu May 09, 2013 12:47 pm

You mean you're not having them barricade a street? :D
Abaisse Chief/Chef

brixhamlaura

Postby brixhamlaura » Thu May 09, 2013 4:40 pm

Tempting but I think we would get whinged at, in Torquay town center in the middle of tourist season. ;)
Les Mis fan...

brixhamlaura

Postby brixhamlaura » Thu May 16, 2013 8:06 pm

Well the first "moment of truth" came last night, with casting the show. We had a huge turnout for the auditions. The great fun is that at the moment Weebly, where we host our main website, is having major problems with it's website editor so we cannot update our main site. (GRRRRRR! - and I have whinged at Weebly Support so hopefully it gets sorted soon) ...

We didnt pre-cast and the cast we now have are a total mixture of extablished theatre company members, and newbies. With a few people from the model agency Aesthetic Clarity, which I am also with, who came over and auditioned as well.

Casting Les Mis, isnt an easy thing. Despite this not being a youth show, I had a lot of 11 - 14 year olds wanting to read for Fantine. Nothing wrong there, but call me a fuddyduddy if you wish, I am not happy with the idea of having someone underage playing Fantine (especially outside of a school show context) considering the prostitution aspects of the character. (granted, parents were present, but still...) There were issues of trying to take into account who wanted a large role, and who wanted a small role. Lots and lots of girls/ women auditioning, and not so many guys.

It was our biggest audition turnout ever, and after we had heard the auditions, we finalised the casting that night. A lot of people hung on to find out their fate that night, despite it being rapidly approaching midnight. There were disappointments, I hate having to tell people that they didn't get the role they wanted, or they didn't get a role other than "factory girl number 4" type stuff. But when you have about 9 people all wanting to play Fantine, and the same wanting to play grown-up Cosette... it's going to happen, sadly.

With the guys, there are a lot of cases of one role played in Act 1 and another in Act 2. We have just slid through by the skin of our teeth on that. Although they are all super. There are also a couple of girls happy to play male roles, who pitched in as well. I do not like doing cross gender casting and am horrendously picky as well with it. If it has to happen, it has to be well done. (the joys of community theatre!)
With the girls, we had to cast bearing in mind all kinds of issues - not just acting skills, but also age, and age of who they are playing opposite, what the book says, rehearsal commitments, etc. It all worked out beautifully for the show in the end. There was one girl who is very pretty but has confidence issues due to being plus-size, who hadn't thought she would get a part because of her confidence issues, who is now beyond over-the-moon at having a large role.

Next week, we have the script read-through, then we start blocking the scenes.
Not really any backstage pictures yet, but here is one of Ed, who is cast in the role of Enjolras, outside the community centre where we rehearse, in the picnic area, having a laugh before we got underway with a flag for Les Mis, and a sword from a medieval show, fished out of our store cupboard at random I think he was kinda saying this was the role he wanted :D
Les Mis fan...

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu May 16, 2013 8:16 pm

Hmmm, I see a bit of blonde? And he showed up to audition in a waistcoat and waved some red material around....yeah I think I approve ;)
Totally agree with you on the kids note. I work with kids a lot and know that they can do lots but there's no way I would cast someone of school age as Fantine in an adult production, amateur or not.
Glad you got it cast though, and don't stress it, sometimes people are going to be disappointed with casting but that's just how theatre goes. :)
Abaisse Chief/Chef

brixhamlaura

Postby brixhamlaura » Thu May 16, 2013 8:22 pm

Hmmm, I see a bit of blonde? And he showed up to audition in a waistcoat and waved some red material around

You do see blonde, yes. :D. (well the red flag was fished out of our cupboard where it had been put ready for rehearsals ;) )

Totally agree with you on the kids note. I work with kids a lot and know that they can do lots but there's no way I would cast someone of school age as Fantine in an adult production, amateur or not.

I admit I was surprised that their parents, who were present, seemed to be OK with this. :? Ah well.
Les Mis fan...

brixhamlaura

Postby brixhamlaura » Thu May 23, 2013 5:46 pm

Cast readthrough was last night, very impressive for the first readthrough... :) Blocking (planning the running around the stage) starts next week
And as usual with our group, there are a few fun out-of-the-box photos. Here are the behind-the-scenes photos from this week.
Ed (Enjolras) being protective of his flag.

Image Charles (Marius) and Ed (Enjolras) raid the costume cupboard and fish out a couple of random top hats to try on, in break-time.
Les Mis fan...

brixhamlaura

Postby brixhamlaura » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:24 pm

Because it was Barricade Day yesterday, some of our cast members who are also Les Mis fanatics anyway, turned up early...

The first celebratory picture...

Marius (wearing coat and hat from final scene of the show)

Enjolras and "revolutionary crisps"

Enjolras

Image Then the lad who is playing Gavroche turned up, his Dad took the photo but was laughing so hard the photo is blurry...

And then we went and had a properly sensible three hour rehearsal for the show, when everyone else arrived.
Les Mis fan...

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:30 pm

Your cast are utterly precious Laura :lol:
Abaisse Chief/Chef

brixhamlaura

Postby brixhamlaura » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:46 pm

Checking in - wow its been ages since I posted, and that is mainly down to hurtling round after the show. We have our big promo cast photoshoot (full costumes, on location - so prepare for the worlds biggest post) next weekend, but for the time being, here are some "backstage" photos from rehearsals yesterday when one of the Act 1 cast (not in act 2) dug out her camera during Act 2...

Ric - Jean Valjean - taking a break...

Image Rich, one of the soldiers... (checking his script in break-time)

Image Charles and Ed (Marius and Enjolras)

Image Ed as Enjolras (photo taken during the confrontation with Le Cabuc)
Les Mis fan...

Return to “Stage”