Les Misérables (new non-musical show) production diary

Talk about Boublil and Schonberg's stage adaptation here.
brixhamlaura

Re: Les Misérables (new non-musical show) production diary

Postby brixhamlaura » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:44 pm

We have started into the promotional events - our revolutionaries (or, as many of the cast as can get along to extra events) holding rallies and demonstrations and publicity stunts.

Here we are outside the town hall in Torquay the other day (that's me in the green skirt) with our show adaptation of Ca Ira. (which isnt actually sung in the show, but we adapted for all our carnivals in the last couple of months and then for the rallies last weekend and this coming one)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4vIQI3tZu0&list=UUtmOdhXgmhWX2tzzP7ChkqA
Les Mis fan...
Highly chuffed to be directing a (non-musical) stage show based on aforementioned brilliant Victor Hugo novel, in 2013 - http://southdevonplayers.weebly.com

brixhamlaura

Postby brixhamlaura » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:08 am

Sorry I have been awol.
Something huge happened on the Friday night of the performances.

I will cut and past the resultant press release (squee!)

London sponsor backs Brixham theatre group’s epic stage production of Les Misérables: The Memoirs of Jean Valjean for a further performance at the Palace Theatre, Paignton, on November 16th 2013.

In September, the South Devon Players, an award-winning amateur theatre group from Brixham, performed their own production, of Les Misérables, as a three hour full-scale non-musical stage drama written directly from Victor Hugo’s novel.

This production was very well received by audiences, with standing ovations, comments such as “flawless”, “spellbinding”, “awesome” being commonplace, and one couple on holiday from Taunton, stating that they felt the production of be of a higher standard than a professional production of The Tempest which they had recently seen in Stratford Upon Avon.

Also present, was a professional photographer and film maker from London, who was so impressed by the production, in his words “spell-binding”, that he is now sponsoring the South Devon Players to be able to go where they could not afford before, into the Palace Theatre, Paignton, for a final performance of this show, at a low ticket price, as he believes that the show should be seen more widely, and that the South Devon Players in future should be able to afford to perform in larger theatres 2014.

The tickets are now available from the Palace Theatre box office (Tel 01803 665800) priced at £3 each.

Les Misérables: The Memoirs of Jean Valjean is a dramatic new 3 hour show based directly on Victor Hugo's novel. Suitable for the whole family, this brings this classic tale of love, redemption and revolution to life in a thrilling new production written by our secretary, Laura J, and premiering with the South Devon Players.

This is a huge production, the biggest by far that we have ever undertaken, it has attracted positive interest & compliments from Hollywood celebrities, and the original show “run”press release is featured on one of the biggest Broadway websites in their "international" section. An international theatrical script agent is also currently looking into making the script available to other theatre companies.
All in all, a show not to be missed!

The South Devon Players are an award winning, small, family-friendly, completely non-profit, community theatre / amateur dramatic group based in the beautiful fishing port of Brixham; Devon (in South West England) and we perform theatre shows around Torbay, and South Devon, based on historical events, usually local history & legends although we sometimes do also cover wider historical events.

Founded in 2005 with the proceeds of a car-boot sale, then winning the Torbay Together Arts In The Community Award in 2010, and appearing on BBC1 national television in 2012-2013, the majority of our shows and projects are about local history and mythology of the South West, and are written by local authors. It is part of our ethos to promote the history of Brixham, Torbay and South Devon. We sometimes deviate to perform plays based on famous classical stories or other wider historical events, but our main focus is, and will always be, the history of the Southwest.

We consider it a vital part of our raison d’etre to be able to keep ticket prices affordable for everyone, and bring theatrical experience to a wider audience. We also do our best, where possible, to support other local non-profit events or entertainment groups working within the community

Les Misérables Tickets are £3 each, from
The Palace Theatre, Paignton.
Box Office, Palace Theatre
Palace Avenue
Paignton
TQ3 3HF Tel: 01803 665800
info@palacetheatrepaignton.co.uk

CONTACT THE SOUTH DEVON PLAYERS
email southdevonplayers@gmail.com / southdevonplayerstheatre@yahoo.co.uk
Facebook & Twitter: sdevonplayers

brixhamlaura

Postby brixhamlaura » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:42 am

Update! Long time no see! Basically, the project took off to a point I have been swamped beyond belief (with good things) and it isn't over yet.

Back in the summer I posted about the production of Les Misérables - a new, non-musical production I wrote from the unabridged book, and directed... I havent updated with the latest as I have been swamped up to the eyeballs with good things happening from it.
During the main show run in September, a chap from London came to see it, and was so blown away by it, he instantly, 24 hours later had emailed me to offer us sponsorship to do the show again in a bigger professional theatre than we could ever have afforded. Needless to say we accepted! That went even more amazingly, we now have a web-film series in the offing - shooting the pilots in Spring 2014 - follow my theatre company website http://southdevonplayers.weebly.comand Facebook https://www.facebook.com/sdevonplayers, if you want to get in on that, or to follow news, as those are our main points of news release.

And here are some stills from the barricade scene of the London sponsored production of Les Misérables last month (of which I am rabidly proud since I wrote the script, and directed it, and then someone from London came and saw  our first run of it and they instantly sponsored it to go into one of the big professional theatres because they were so blown away by it, plus audience feedback was phenomenal, plus there is a film in the offing, plus I rabidly love all things Les Mis anyway) I have just been editing film clips (we had the show filmed) for peoples showreels, this evening, and nabbed a few screen grabs from the barricade scene of that performance while doing so...

A soldier got a tad overconfident...

Valjean releases Javert

Enjy and Grantaire see the soldiers marching towards them (we marched the soldiers down through the theatre audience, it really made people jump!)

Feuilly and Combeferre

Éponine dies.

Barricade-splats

Javert is rumbled!

Enjolras

The battle in full swing
Les Mis fan...
Highly chuffed to be directing a (non-musical) stage show based on aforementioned brilliant Victor Hugo novel, in 2013 - http://southdevonplayers.weebly.com

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:22 am

Looks great! And glad you've had such success with it!
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Return to “Stage”