Your Stage History?

Talk about Boublil and Schonberg's stage adaptation here.
Enjolvert

Your Stage History?

Postby Enjolvert » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:57 pm

I know a lot here are into their performing on different levels, so this is a place for discussing your own history onstage and what you've been involved in, as well as parts you've played.
The law is unjust.

The Bricklayer

Re: Your Stage History?

Postby The Bricklayer » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:05 pm

Mine is dark and terrible. I've considered trying again, but stage fright kills any dreams I have. My place is working sound tech for my high school's shows.
Tomorrow will come no matter what, but it is up to you to make it better than today.

Proud Member of the Resident Combeferre Club.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:14 pm

Oh my god how long do you have.... :shock:

Umm, I did youth theatre type things when I was little.
Then school shows in high school.
Lots of drama festivals and lots of awards.
Local pantomimes and some productions with local companies when they needed younger actors.
Co-wrote and directed my first own show as part of a course, then directed another and became convinced I really liked directing.
Decided at the last minute I wanted to go to drama school and did
Spent four years there, trained as a director, directed a lot of shows, acted in some
Directed and assistant directed some professional stuff
Set up and ran a couple of youth theatres, just as something to do, but they won a bunch of awards and got me interested in working with kids
Still perform occasionally if something takes my fancy.
And now I'm going to teach drama :)

That's a very very potted history! :D

And I've never been in a proper musical which is one of the great miseries of my life :(
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

The Bricklayer

Postby The Bricklayer » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:17 pm

It's actually quite short, but still dark and terrible.
Tomorrow will come no matter what, but it is up to you to make it better than today.

Proud Member of the Resident Combeferre Club.

LibertySparks

Postby LibertySparks » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:44 pm

I survived my school's drama club by eating dark chocolate.
Really dark chocolate. Like 90% Cacao.
The director's friend writes plays, and they are painfully ridiculous and stupid. I fell into the older kid's trap, they were saying that it was sooooo much fun.
The director acted like this was a life or death situation, I was going through a life changing event (which was not this play,) and everyone was stressed. I ate chocolate and got a hug from my math teacher, practically knocked myself out with the chocolate, and acted like a robot doing my part. :( :x
Another story must begin...

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:08 pm

Let's see:

Aside from doing small skits and speeches for school assignments, the first big performance I was involved in was West Side Story. I did tech work for that production.

In high school I always was helping with choral pieces from local works and Shakespeare's plays (Merchant of Venice, Julius Caesar, Macbeth, and Hamlet). One memorable incident was when we did a bawdy Lancelot Gobbo rendition, causing a rather uptight (then) teacher to walk out. I also got involved in writing an original choral (more of poetry + song and drama) piece in my senior year. That piece won our school's Filipino language competition that year.

Then there was the one time we had to perform excerpts from Les Misérables. Unfortunately my group picked "Lovely Ladies" even when my amies and I were campaigning so hard to do "Red and Black". Thankfully we destroyed any pics of us dressed up as dockside prostitutes.

That same year I also auditioned to be Ophelia in "Hamlet". No, I did not get in.

In university: I did more of directing gags for youth events, except for the one time when we had to perform in class a play called "Last Order sa Penguin". I got a secondary part there as Harlene, a woman struggling with relationship issues.

Last summer: my first official venture into scriptwriting: from drafting all the way to workshops and reading the scripts to an audience.

Still no acting in actual musicals either; excerpts don't really count do they?
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

MamzelleCombeferre

Postby MamzelleCombeferre » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:46 am

Alrightie, lets go way back.

My first stage performance ever was a kindergarten production of Peter Rabbit where I played the only piece of corn onstage. This upset me for some reason I don't even remember now.

First grade was my first solo experience, where I was one of four soloist mice in the show How the Mice Saved Christmas.

In third grade I was Historian #3 (destiny I now see :wink: ) and a square dancer for our musical review on American history. This was the year I was also in two musical reviews at church, one about the birth of Christ where I was a wise man (or wise girl rather) and the other titled Sermon on the Mount, where we were all on a baseball team.

Fourth grade I began doing ballet and was a girl waiting for the train station in that years ballet. That same year I was in my third and last church musical review, called Promise U (as in University).

After that school year we moved, and continued doing ballet at the studio in my new town. I was a dancer at Cinderella's ball and a snowflake that year.

In sixth grade I was almost in octupus in that year's ballet, but then I quit to start doing theater. My first show with the local community theater was a pantomine of Rudolph and the Island of Misfit Toys where I played Charlie in the Box. From there I was in several shows with the community until eighth grade, including Aladdin Jr., Annie Jr., Lion King the highlights, a musical theater dance review, High School Musical (which I regret to this day), and several smaller musical theatre reviews we used as preshows to the actual musicals.

In seventh grade (I think), I was in a production The Best Christmas Pagent Ever where I played the character of Imogene, and had great being a brat. :) That same year I was in my middle school's choir, and was a member of the county middle school honor choir for all three years.

The summer before my freshman year, I was in my first big musical, Les Misérables the School Edition where I played several different roles as part of the chorus. From there I truly fell head over heels in love with musical theatre. In high school I was part of the drama club for four years and was in several shows, including Little Shop of Horrors (Ronnette), A Christmas Carol x2 (Ghost of Christmas Past both times, and Tiny Tim the second time), Threepenny Opera (Polly Peachum), Mummy Dearest (a truly awful play where I played a character named Toodles), Sweeney Todd (Chorus), and Clue (modeled after the movie version, Mrs. White). My last semester of High school I helped direct the play Every Family Has One (a truly execrable piece of theatre).

I was in my high school's Madrigal's choir my first two years of high school, and got to be a part of the county high school honor choir for two years. My freshman year, my choir was accepted to the national honor choir and got to perform at Carnegie Hall in New York City. I was also in marching and symphonic band all four years and won't bore you with all the details that go along with that.

In that time I was also in another summer production with the same community theatre that I did theatre with in middle school and Les Mis with. The show was called Rancho Tesoro and it was written by our director so we were the first cast to ever perform it. I was in the chorus, and since then it has been performed once more at a theatre about an hour away from my home town. My junior year I was in a completely student run production of Jekyll and Hyde where I was a chorus member with several solos. It is, to this day, one the best theatre experiences I've ever had.

The last show I was in was a production the musical The Secret Garden at our local community college. I was a chorus member and a set mover.

Next year I'm hoping to assistant dramaturg my universities production of Tartuffe by Moliere, and be in the cast of Chicago (or whatever musical we end up doing if we can't get the rights to that one). :)
KITTENS AND UNICORNS AND RAINBOWS OH MY! *Sparkles*

MmeFeuilly

Postby MmeFeuilly » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:55 am

I was three and tall, so my parents put me into a theatre camp (ages 5-12) where my brother was a leader. Went to same camp on and off until I was 9. Then was Hippolyta in a Midsummer's Night dream when I was 13, I was also the gryphon in the local Teen theatre's version of Alice and Wonderland. I also volunteered at that camp I used to go to and learned about backstage. Last year I was in A Thoroughly Modern Millie and As You Like It (Jaques). I also did costumes for the local teen production of Beauty and The Beast. Then went to a week-long workshopt. Last fall I was in a comedy called "Caught In The Net."
I Live On Constellation Street

Courgette

Postby Courgette » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:50 am

*trying to recollect obscure memories*

Let me see...not much to write about, I mean - stage fright really kills me (I'm much, much comfortable writing stuff than appearing ON a stage). But two memories do stand out -

1. A skit in kindergarten - at that age the importance of nature was being drilled into us, and I played the sun (complete with an orange costume, and a sun-shaped mask!! :D )
2. Don't know if this counts as a stage show but I used to take singing lessons for 10 years from aged 7 to 17-18 - and I participated in many locally organized concerts.
Sadly, I've given up all that now, which is quite unfortunate - I mean, my singing teacher thought that I had quite a strong upper register...
"Lord in Heaven, look down on him in mercy..."

macaron

Postby macaron » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:04 pm

Well, I cannot sing to save my life, in spite of singing lessons, so no musical theatre for me! *g* My only real experience in standing on the stage was a few years ago at uni when I took a course that was called "Shakespeare on stage" and our final exam, so to speak, was putting on a performance of The Taming of the Shrew. I absolutely LOVED it. Since I had no experience I played a whole bunch of smaller parts rather than a lead, which was loads of fun - I ended up attempting different English accents for each role to separate them, heh.

It turned out I have a real knack for learning stuff by heart, so after I'd learnt all my lines I learnt everyones else's as well and ended up being the unofficial prompter and stand-in during rehearsals when someone hadn't been able to make it. I think I got to do bits of most roles at some point, actually, which was great!

Inititally I was rather disappointed that we were doing Shrew, though - I've never really liked that play, and we'd heard about how they'd done Much Ado About Nothing and Twelfth Night in previous years and were hoping for something in that vein. But having the most amazing girl playing Petruchio actually made it pretty awesome.

torontocolm

Postby torontocolm » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:30 am

Let's go way back-

In Kindergarten I starred as, "The Rainbow" in my kindergarten graduation extravaganza. Highlights included the whole class singing Rainbow Connection, and me waving a rainbow ribbon back and forth.

Skipping ahead to my next role, in 5th grade, I played the Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz. What a mess of a show. We had to cut half of it due to lack of audience attention, and Dorothy hit the Wicked Witch of the West with a metal bucket (in the face!). If by melting you mean melt-down... (ha-ha-ha)

Advancing along to 7th grade, I opted not to try out for the show, but after auditions, the directors decided that no one was good enough to play Conrad in Bye Bye Birdie so I was forced to audition and got the part. That was actually a pretty solid show.

The next 4 (and last 4) shows I would participate in were all Les Mis. In 8th grade I played Javert, in the worst middle school production of all time, but I did get a real high jump for Javert's Suicide, so that's a highlight. (The lack of French accents annoyed me).

In 10th grade I played Enjolras in another Les Mis performance. Personally I thought I made a decent Enjolras, and it was a pretty good show all around. I was just disappointed that only upperclassmen could audition for Valjean/Javert. (I'd add my death photo to the thread if I had it :D)

In 12th grade I managed to get the part of Javert after singing Who Am I as my audition song. I wanted to play Valjean for the first time but I ended up getting Javert. I wasn't complaining. That was the greatest show I've ever been a part of. Everyone was excellent, it was a flawless performance. We happened to have a really good Éponine... that's all that stands out about that show. I experienced probably the most embarrassing stage moment of my life when during "Stars" I sang "And so it must-" and then the speaker went to the highest volume I've ever heard. I was belting out "be! And so it is written!" etc... while the volume was louder than a rocket ship taking off. The audience was not happy about that. All things aside, I loved that show, and I had an awesome audition at the end of the suicide, after I made my famous bridge jump (I posted it somewhere) and it was over.

As a sophomore I got pushed into some college production of Les Mis that had a very low budget... so we were performing in a 1000 seat theater with little costume/set money. I played Enjolras again, but I was embarrassed to call myself part of that. The Javert had to sing with the most non-French/British accent in the world. My career came to a close after that.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:40 am

You've played Enjolras and Javert *twice* each? {swoon}
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Enjolvert

Postby Enjolvert » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:32 am

That record of playing them both is incredible. Valjean, Marius and Thenardier next on the list to complete the lot then?
The law is unjust.

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:09 am

Acaila wrote:You've played Enjolras and Javert *twice* each? {swoon}

*seconds* :shock:

As for me, there were various programs throughout elementary and middle school that I don't remember that well, as well as various Christmas pageants for church. I did a week long drama camp one summer where I played a vegetarian Big Bad Wolf in a corny little play written by the program's director.

The only musical I've been in so far is Honk, where I was a duckling and various ensemble members.

If we're not just talking theater, I got a solo in Rutter's Gloria once. Rather proud of it, actually, though it was only a few measures long.

If, and that's a rather large if, I ever end up playing Cosette in any form or fashion, I have taken a solemn vow to move around as much as possible. So in 5, 10, 15 years, if you find a production where Cosette has ADHD, it's possible that I've made it into Les Miz. :wink:

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

torontocolm

Postby torontocolm » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:52 am

Enjolvert wrote:That record of playing them both is incredible. Valjean, Marius and Thenardier next on the list to complete the lot then?

I have no plans of participating in more productions but yes, that would be quite a collection. Unfortunately I can't play 2/3.

Valjean: I can't sing Bring Him Home unless its a different key/an octave lower. I do have a pretty solid Who Am I? and I can do his part of the Confrontation flawlessly. But Bring Him Home is all that matters.

Thenardier: Given my hatred of Dog Eats Dog, I couldn't bring myself to sing that. I respect the show too much.

I've always wanted to play Marius though. That would be fun.

@Gervais and @Acaila- I appreciate that :) I love being able to play them both because for some reason I love dying during shows. Marius lives, we assume Thenardier lives, and Valjean has a weak death. I much prefer the suspenseful suicide of Javert or the emotional flag scene with Enjolras on the barricade (except for the dress rehearsal where I fell off) Oops.

Return to “Stage”