Upcoming Alumni Projects

Talk about Boublil and Schonberg's stage adaptation here.
Prisoner 24653

Re: Upcoming Alumni Projects

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:39 pm

I haven't looked up videos yet, but looked up the listing for the soundtrack on CastAlbums.org. The film itself comes out in Japan next month, so I imagine that's when the soundtrack will be released, as well. :)

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:59 am

Prisoner 24653 wrote:Though I'm not too keen on what I've heard from the English soundtrack for Disney's Beauty and the Beast remake (ugh, autotune),

What's autotune?
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:44 am

Autotune is essentially a computer program that can take someone's singing and put it "in tune."

On My Own, for example, starts in D minor and then modulates to Bb major, before ending in F major. (Typically speaking, it's also sometimes performed from E to B to F#, but that's not really important.) When Frances Ruffelle sings On My Own, because she's in key, she hits those notes.

Now, let's say I -- a not very good singer -- decide to sing On My Own. It doesn't sound very good, so someone kindly offers to autotune me to make it sound more in key. They program the autotune to take the song and make any adjustments required for it to go D- to Bb+ to F+. When they put in the Frances Ruffelle version and then autotune spits it back out you can't hear any difference because the program didn't have to do anything to make it fit that key. When they put in my version and autotune spits it back out, the program has to alter the recording to force the sound of my singing to fit. Now let's say I'm not as terrible as I think, the autotune doesn't have to do that much work, so maybe an experienced ear can hear that my singing has been adjusted a little bit, but it didn't have to be adjusted a lot so it's not distracting. And then let's be realistic and say that my singing is terrible and the autotune had to work really hard to make my voice sound like it was hitting the right notes, so now what it spits out is in the right key but sounds really tinny and computerized. All autotune does is alter sound to fit in the key of your choosing, so it doesn't necessarily make something better.

That's what it's designed to do, anyway. You can also use it to get creative and play around with how a voice sounds. Today's pop music is totally full of it.

Point is: if you're used to hearing live performances, (live-theatre especially), then you can usually tell the difference between someone who is singing and someone whose singing has been adjusted by a computer. And the reality is: if the singer was in key in the first place, you wouldn't be able to hear any autotune, which also means that it's not necessarily every single word/note that's been adjusted, just the ones that were off. So take this clip of Emma Watson singing "Belle - Reprise" for example. It's not so bad until about 00:38, but then it's like "oh."
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:02 am

Also, on this topic, Doug Walker just put out a really great video relevant not only to the Beauty and the Beast remake, but the Les Mis movie as well.

Should Bad Singers Be Dubbed?"

(Hehehe, putting the ending of Quast's Stars against Crowe's was just mean. But hilarious.)
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:53 pm

It's been a while since I've watched anything by Doug Walker, but that was a good one. (I don't get the Kristen Stewart joke though.)

I remember in the late 90s or early 00s actors who can do their own singing (e.g. Gwyneth Paltrow) tend to get a lot of praise, and when Reese Witherspoon got an Oscar for 'Walk the Line' a lot of attention was given to how well she could sing. I wonder if that had something to do with the insistence on having actors do their own singing.

Yes, it's impressive if they can pull it off, but (like Doug said in the video) there's no shame in dubbing if they can't. Christopher Plummer was dubbed in Sound of Music and that doesn't detract from anything. A lot of the animated Disney films use a professional singer (usually Broadway) for the music numbers despite already having an actor do the spoken lines. Emma Watson has a nice enough voice but she's no singer.

Anyone put next to Quast is going to lose, but damn that comparison was painful. I actually quite like Russell Crowe's speaking voice, but I'd really like to not ever have to listen to him sing again. I think the whole 'live singing' thing was a big deal for the Les Mis movie, so dubbing probably wouldn't have been an option, but if that was the case they really should've used a different actor.

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:10 pm

[quote="Olivia_y"A lot of the animated Disney films use a professional singer (usually Broadway) for the music numbers despite already having an actor do the spoken lines.[/quote]

In the Swedish dubbed versions they usually have the same voices for both the speaking and the singing, and that person is usually a singer. The Swedish voice of Beast is done by Tommy Körberg, who is a famous Swedish singer (And also the Swedish Jean Valjean)
Lamarque est mort [disco dances patriotically]

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:45 pm

Thomas Aldridge (current Grantaire) has been announced as the new Ron Weasley for the cast change this summer, taking over from 24th May 2017:
https://www.pottermore.com/news/new-cas ... ild-london

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:04 am

Killian Donnelly taking over as Jean Valjean from 12th June.

https://twitter.com/killiandonnelly/sta ... 0752598016

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Sat May 13, 2017 7:20 am

I don't now how much people outside of Sweden know about this, but Peter Jöback is doing an outdoor arena concert this summer called I love Musicals, and I just saw on instastories that Tam Mutu is going to be there. It almost makes me wish I was going; Jöback did a tour of the I love musicals a couple of years ago that I went to and it was really good. Norm Lewis was a guest, among others, and he was just a delight.
Lamarque est mort [disco dances patriotically]

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Sat May 13, 2017 9:38 pm

Lucie Jones (former Cosette) is the UK's representative on Eurovision (Grand Final) tonight!

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sat May 13, 2017 9:44 pm

Yeah, she was. And it was a pretty lackluster Eurovision performance, lololol.

singleton

Postby singleton » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:30 am

Prisoner 24653 wrote:Though I'm not too keen on what I've heard from the English soundtrack for Disney's Beauty and the Beast remake (ugh, autotune), I've been eagerly snapping up clips and info from the foreign-language dubs. Thus, I've found a couple of LM alumni who are in the Japanese dub. Kaho Shimada (Éponine on the CSR and the first couple of Japanese cast albums) is voicing Plumette the feather duster, while Kunio Murai (Javert on the 1994 Red cast album) is voicing Maurice. :D

And Hiromi Iwasaki, the OJC's Fantine, makes a very rare voice appearance (her first?) as Mrs. Potts.

Here's Kaho Shimada's entry in her blog. The third picture is Hiromi and Kaho, below which is the comment "30 years since Les Mis".

http://ameblo.jp/shimadakaho/entry-12243332111.html

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:54 am

singleton wrote:
Prisoner 24653 wrote:Though I'm not too keen on what I've heard from the English soundtrack for Disney's Beauty and the Beast remake (ugh, autotune), I've been eagerly snapping up clips and info from the foreign-language dubs. Thus, I've found a couple of LM alumni who are in the Japanese dub. Kaho Shimada (Éponine on the CSR and the first couple of Japanese cast albums) is voicing Plumette the feather duster, while Kunio Murai (Javert on the 1994 Red cast album) is voicing Maurice. :D

And Hiromi Iwasaki, the OJC's Fantine, makes a very rare voice appearance (her first?) as Mrs. Potts.

Here's Kaho Shimada's entry in her blog. The third picture is Hiromi and Kaho, below which is the comment "30 years since Les Mis".

http://ameblo.jp/shimadakaho/entry-12243332111.html

Ooh, thanks for that! I didn't realize it was her. :D

Now that I've heard the Japanese soundtrack, I'm amused that they completely retranslated the lyrics again -- so now they have one set of lyrics for the animated film, one for the stage version, and one for this new film.

singleton

Postby singleton » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:23 pm

Found this whilst googling for stuff. Kojiro Oka (former Enjolras) will be doing a concert with guests, who include Hiromi Iwasaki (former Fantine) and Kazutaka Ishii (former Marius). They will be performing some numbers from Les Mis.

http://www.chunichi.co.jp/chuspo/articl ... 00210.html

His tribute to a former Éponine. Tsubasa by Minako Honda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc7EvzlizkI

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:17 pm

singleton wrote:Found this whilst googling for stuff. Kojiro Oka (former Enjolras) will be doing a concert with guests, who include Hiromi Iwasaki (former Fantine) and Kazutaka Ishii (former Marius). They will be performing some numbers from Les Mis.

http://www.chunichi.co.jp/chuspo/articl ... 00210.html

His tribute to a former Éponine. Tsubasa by Minako Honda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc7EvzlizkI

Ooh, very cool! Thank you for sharing! :)

Return to “Stage”