Upcoming Alumni Projects

Talk about Boublil and Schonberg's stage adaptation here.
deHavilland

Re: Upcoming Alumni Projects

Postby deHavilland » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:57 pm

They should do Witches of Eastwick with one of the Three Phantoms. Literally any one of them. Carpy's already done it.

"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:03 pm

Is that Maria Friedman?

Confession - I've never actually seen Witches of Eastwick. And yet, I approve of this anyway :)

Other news I've just seen - Madalena Alberto is going to be in.....War of the Worlds.....on the West End :shock:
And since nobody said it had to be alumni from the musical, the main part of the journalist is apparently going to be played by Liam Neeson!

I'm actually considering trying to return my Mormon or Matilda tickets, which I know is stupid because I've seen it live already and have the DVD somewhere. But Neeson singing Forever Autumn would be weird and kinda awesome (hopefully). Also because tripod aliens are a cooler thing to have in your set than chandeliers.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:54 am

Acaila wrote:... tripod aliens are a cooler thing to have in your set than chandeliers.

Got to agree with that! https://xkcd.com/556/ I know it's different tripods, but did anybody read the Tripod Books?
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Postby 23623 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:13 am

This is an *ongoing* alumni project but I think it fits here? (Have seriously considered putting it in the rant thread though)

So I heard about the Three Phantoms concert a while ago. Earl Carpenter, David Shannon and Lisa-Anne Wood would be performing (there must be other Les Mis alumni too but I can't remember who). Had booked a ticket but later found that I couldn't go due to some reasons, so I gave my ticket to a friend. :( She totally enjoyed the show, saying that she was moved by the songs even though she knew nothing about musicals. Some funny things happened in the concert too. They kept making fun of a guy who has never played Phantom. Someone commented at one point: "Guys, listening to all these songs in London would cost you 90 thousand dollars" and the audience all cracked up at that. Also during one song the conductor was somehow dragged off stage and Carpenter himself went to conduct in his place.

My friend seems to be genuinely interested in musicals after the show, which makes me very happy. I'm determined to convert her into a mizzie since that's already a good start. I do miss the concert though. Really really wish I could go myself!! :(
Revolution, but civilization

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:56 am

Three Phantoms is super fun and I feel like they really try to make it more than just another "songs from the shows" concert. Also it gives me an excuse to post one of my fave videos! https://youtu.be/tSRRjj29zNQ
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Postby 23623 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:17 am

Acaila wrote:Three Phantoms is super fun and I feel like they really try to make it more than just another "songs from the shows" concert. Also it gives me an excuse to post one of my fave videos! https://youtu.be/tSRRjj29zNQ

OH MY GOD. This is my new favorite rendition of "For Good"!! :shock: :lol:

I had told my friend about the songs before she went, hoping to give her some context so that she could better enjoy them. I said "For Good" is the farewell song between two best friends, which means after this song they can never see each other again, and it's really emotional if you know the plot in its entirety. And when I told her that...I totally wasn't expecting this lol!!! :lol:

*EDIT* Woohoo I just booked another ticket for the matinee tomorrow!! :D Can't wait to see all the funny things they do on stage. I'm thinking about stagedooring too...oh man the mere thought of talking to them makes me really nervous; I'm afraid that I would completely lose the ability to speak like last time I met Phillipa Soo. :oops: Sorry I'm probably not making any sense here but I'm really so excited now. I may post a review here after I come back, if anyone's interested.

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:46 am

23623 wrote:
Acaila wrote:Three Phantoms is super fun and I feel like they really try to make it more than just another "songs from the shows" concert. Also it gives me an excuse to post one of my fave videos! https://youtu.be/tSRRjj29zNQ

OH MY GOD. This is my new favorite rendition of "For Good"!! :shock: :lol:

I had told my friend about the songs before she went, hoping to give her some context so that she could better enjoy them. I said "For Good" is the farewell song between two best friends, which means after this song they can never see each other again, and it's really emotional if you know the plot in its entirety. And when I told her that...I totally wasn't expecting this lol!!! :lol:

Bwahahahaha! That's awesome! (I haven't looked up clips of the West End "Three Phantoms" concerts before... Clearly, I've been missing out!)

At the risk of going way off-topic, we also had a "Three Phantoms" tour in the US (and I think also parts of Canada) with American POTO actors -- our main 3 were Craig Schulman, Cris Groenendaal, and Kevin Gray; but they also had Mark Jacoby, Brad Little, Gary Mauer, and possibly others if any of the "mains" couldn't make a stop or perhaps if any of them had a personal connection to the city/state they were visiting. In Hawaii, we got the main 3 since they had all performed in shows here over the years when the touring companies came here (Cris as the Phantom, Craig as Valjean in LM, and Kevin as Scar in TLK), and it was quite nice. They did a great rendition of "Anything You Can Do" with modified lyrics -- they added lines referencing prior stage roles (like "I'm a better Phantom"/"Maybe out in Scranton"). I don't think they continued the tour after Kevin passed away, though Craig and Cris helped put together a lovely tribute album with a trio version of "Music of the Night" like they performed in the concerts. <3

Postby 23623 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:39 pm

So, Three Phantoms is indeed super fun! Just came back from the concert and I'm still excited about it.

The most precious thing that happened today: Earl Carpenter forgot his line in “Anthem”! He went like “No man no madness can possess...power may prevail, can possess conquer...” I nearly burst out laughing but finally controlled myself, remembering that I was recording. He was super calm though and he just kept singing as if nothing had happened. After that I spent a great deal of time pondering how many people in the audience actually noticed the slip (they didn't really need to know Chess to spot it; what he ended up singing was not even a correct sentence! :lol: )

The Les Mis medley they did was great. They did an a Capella IDAD. A Capella IDAD, like seriously, I didn't know I need this thing until today. My face was like 0_0 during that song because it sounded so extraordinarily beautiful. It was a pity that my recording totally didn't do it justice. :( In AHFOL Alistair and Lisa weren't even looking at each other when they sang and it turned out kind of funny. Also they did the last bit with Valjean (David) instead of Éponine. Speaking of David, his BHH was very well done. Admittedly his singing was nowhere near perfect (his high notes were shaky most of the time). But good thing was that he got into character very soon. When he sang "he is only a boy", "if I die, let me die" I could almost see him in Valjean costume, kneeling beside a sleeping Marius at the barricade and singing the prayer. Stars wasn't as good as I'd expected though. It was clear that Carpenter didn't put in as much effort as David did. He was in an almost casual manner (walking around, swaying his body from time to time, etc) and I was like "no, this is not how you sang Stars before!" :shock:

There were random jokes throughout the concert. My favorite one: What do you call a robot that writes musicals? -- Android Lloyd Webber (ok I guess this is an old joke but it's the first time I ever heard it and it did crack me up). Also they loved to show off some random Cantonese and it was so much fun for the local audience. They made fun with the songs too. My favorite one was the Alistair vs three Phantoms thing they did with "This is the moment". Poor Alistair just wanted to finish his solo but the three Phantoms did all kinds of things to make it difficult for him. :lol:

Despite all the awesomeness I had the feeling that the whole cast kind of slacked off a little this afternoon. Maybe because it was matinee and there wasn't a large audience? I didn't get the selfie thing in "For Good" which made me a bit disappointed. They just turned on the flashlight of their phones and the audience did the same. That was still a lovely goodbye though.

Err...sorry for the rambling. I've uploaded some songs in case anyone's interested.
Anthem. Click it. You know you want to. Did I mention that someone forgot his line as soon as he started singing? :mrgreen:
Les Mis:
- I dreamed a dream (a capella)
- Stars
- A heart full of love
- Bring him home
- One day more
Memory. Really want to share this one. Definitely my favorite song from the concert. I'm not an AWL fan to be honest and Cats is like my least favorite musical, but Olivia Brereton really won me. I never thought that a Cats song could get me so emotional! She actually sounded twice better on stage, I swear.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:44 pm

I'm pretty sure the selfie thing was just a one off - they didn't do it when I saw them. Maybe it needs dearest Mattypie Cammelle around for such shenanigans :D
Delighted you got to catch a live blooper though!
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Postby 23623 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:49 pm

Acaila wrote:I'm pretty sure the selfie thing was just a one off - they didn't do it when I saw them. Maybe it needs dearest Mattypie Cammelle around for such shenanigans :D
Delighted you got to catch a live blooper though!

They actually did it the other day! My friend saw it and said it was really funny that they were singing while taking selfie. I had no idea what song it was until I watched that video you posted and immediately facepalmed for having given her a faithful retelling of For Good.

And yay I love bloopers! Off topic: posted some stage door photos on other social media and my friends were all like “OMG this guy is so hot who is he”. Thank you so much for your pretty face, Carpenter. Promoting Les Mis has never been this easy for me!

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:20 pm

Though I'm not too keen on what I've heard from the English soundtrack for Disney's Beauty and the Beast remake (ugh, autotune), I've been eagerly snapping up clips and info from the foreign-language dubs. Thus, I've found a couple of LM alumni who are in the Japanese dub. Kaho Shimada (Éponine on the CSR and the first couple of Japanese cast albums) is voicing Plumette the feather duster, while Kunio Murai (Javert on the 1994 Red cast album) is voicing Maurice. :D

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:24 pm

Prisoner 24653 wrote:Though I'm not too keen on what I've heard from the English soundtrack for Disney's Beauty and the Beast remake (ugh, autotune)

Aww, damn. I'd heard that the actual soundtrack sounded better than the trailers (still haven't watched the movie)...and hoped that was true somehow.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:57 pm

I watched it last night. Emma Watson seems to be the only one who was really auto-tuned, everyone else sounds fairly decent. But then you have to take from that what you will because Belle sings half the songs in the movie anyway. I was underwhelmed on the whole.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:24 pm

I think they kind of panicked when they realized that people would compare Emma's singing to Paige O'Hara, since O'Hara is such an icon, and that's why they went overboard (to say the least) with the autotuning. You could hear in some parts that Emma actually has a nice voice, and I think they should have just gone with an updated vision with the singing as well, since the movie otherwise was updated for how our society is today.
Lamarque est mort [disco dances patriotically]

Postby 23623 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:39 pm

Prisoner 24653 wrote:...Kaho Shimada (Éponine on the CSR and the first couple of Japanese cast albums) is voicing Plumette the feather duster, while Kunio Murai (Javert on the 1994 Red cast album) is voicing Maurice. :D

OMG where can I find these videos you're talking about??

Return to “Stage”