Upcoming Alumni Projects

Talk about Boublil and Schonberg's stage adaptation here.
Prisoner 24653

Re: Upcoming Alumni Projects

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:54 pm

I was so incredibly happy to see the news today about Norm. I've been wanting him to play the Phantom for quite a while now. And Sierra's returning, as well! Not my absolute favorite Christine, but definitely a good one, imo. For once, Broadway Phantom news I'm actually really excited about!

Though I don't think I'd count Gary Mauer as a baritone... He sounded very tenor-ish in everything I've heard from him. Jeremy Stolle, one of the current understudies for the Phantom on Broadway, is more likely a baritone, along with Brad Little, Anthony Crivello, possibly Richard Todd Adams, and performers in that vein. (Not all those actors have been in the Broadway cast, but yeah.)

TheRandomPhangirl

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:01 pm

Not really upcoming, but Barry James as well as a few ex-Gavroches are in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. (I also note that he was the only actor who was entertaining)
I'm the one to shout "Down with Polignac!"

TheRandomPhangirl

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:14 pm

Next Phantom cast change in London, Lisa Anne Wood, ex Cosette, will be u/s Christine, Liam Tamne, ex Enjolras, will be Raoul (dear lord preserve us), and Oliver Savile, ex Feuilly, with be u/s Raoul. And everyone knows that Killian Donnelly's going to be Hughey (sp?) in Memphis.
Last edited by TheRandomPhangirl on Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:04 pm

I'm so glad someone other than me said it ;)
OliSav actually will probably be a good Raoul though. One for the understudy watch :)
Still sad that I won't get a chance to see Killian in the Commitments though :(
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

TheRandomPhangirl

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:54 pm

I hope OliSav beefs up his voice though, from what I heard from his Mis tracks, it was a bit weedy. (anyone's better than Liam though *cough*)

Killian's supposed to be a really amazing Deco, yeah, but his alternate was damn good too. I don't know if he'll be principal come cast change, but if he is I'd reccommend him very much.

TheRandomPhangirl

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:53 am

TheRandomPhangirl wrote:I hope OliSav beefs up his voice though, from what I heard from his Mis tracks, it was a bit weedy. (anyone's better than Liam though *cough*)

Having heard audio from last night, I take it back. Liam Tamne doesn't actually suck that much as Raoul.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:34 pm

Mark Uhre (Toronto Enjolras, '13 - '14) and Jonathan Winsby (Toronto Courfeyrac, '13 - '14) are both appearing in Halifax-based Neptune Theatre's Into the Woods. As the two princes, with Mark doubling as the Wolf. I love this because they're both so tall and capable of being both dash and hilarious. Almost worth the trip to Halifax just to get a recording of them singing Agony. Previews started yesterday and the show runs to October 5.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:15 am

That is wonderful casting! I can imagine those two being great at Agony! :D
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:55 am

It looks like Aaron Tveit is headed to the London stage -- according to this article, he'll be playing John Wilkes Booth in Assassins at the Menier Chocolate Factory. Interesting casting; I'd see him more as a Balladeer/Oswald, or maybe Hinckley. But we'll see how it goes.

Also, speaking of Sondheim shows, did anyone else catch PBS's broadcast of Sweeney Todd in concert, featuring Philip Quast as Judge Turpin? I swear, if I didn't already know he was playing the role, I wouldn't have recognized him. :lol: I generally enjoyed the concert; I've never been a fan of Bryn Terfel, but I rather liked Emma Thompson as Mrs. Lovett, and many of the supporting players were quite good, as well. It won't replace the 2001 Hearn/LuPone concert for me, but I'm glad I tuned in.

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:40 pm

I saw it! :mrgreen: I wish I could find it on YouTube or something though; I've honestly never seen the Judge's Johanna because I've only seen the film and the one with Angela Lansbury, and even though it was creepy as hell I kinda want to hear him sing it again.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:53 pm

Yeah, not having any luck finding Quast's version online... bummer. There is a full upload of the 2001 concert, though, with Timothy Nolen as the Judge and that song included. (Also George Hearn as Sweeney, Patti LuPone as Mrs. Lovett, Neil Patrick Harris as Tobias, Lisa Vroman as Johanna, Davis Gaines as Anthony -- awesome cast all around. :mrgreen: ) The song wasn't in the 1982 Hearn/Lansbury video since it was cut from the original Broadway production due to it not going over well with preview audiences... It was included on the cast album, though. However, the album and concert versions put the song in a different place from where it actually is in the show -- normally, it would come after the "Ballad" reprise after the contest between Todd and Pirelli, but the album and concerts move it to after Pirelli's death.

Also, I find it rather interesting that the cast albums and movie soundtrack (and the vocal score that's available to the public) put Anthony's rendition of "Johanna" in E-flat... but the 1982 video, the concert versions, and most live show audios and videos I've found (except for the John Doyle actors-playing-instruments revival), plus the production I saw live, put the song in F. Wonder why that is...

TheRandomPhangirl

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:28 pm

Former cast member Killian Donnelly and soon-to-be-former cast member Jeremy Batt will be in the first London cast of Kinky Boots.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:05 pm

Seen some buzz on tumblr that David Thaxton and Caroline Sheen will be in a new musical called Only The Brave in Cardiff this year.

I saw it a few years ago when it premiered at the Fringe. I think it was the same year that Rebecca Caine, Frances Ruffelle and Annalene Beechey were all in a show together. If so, I should have gone to that one :?
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:34 pm

I hope that show was about three sisters: a domineering queen bee, a whiny middle child and the sweet one with a voice like bells.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:54 pm

Google is suggesting I'm getting Annalene and Sarah Lark mixed up in this case. It was set in Paris apparently though! Also there was a character called Colette. Lolololol.

(The show was called Mathilde, and was directed by Simon Callow)
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Return to “Stage”