Cast members with solo CD's

Talk about Boublil and Schonberg's stage adaptation here.
Acaila

Re: Cast members with solo CD's

Postby Acaila » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:01 pm

Yes, I saw her in...October 2001 I want to say? They had a good run of Eponines around then, Jo Ampil, LMK and Caroline Sheen who are all probably in my top five. I've always been really pleased since then to hear of her doing well for herself in things like Lord of the Rings (she'd left by the time I saw that :() and Mary Poppins of course.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:32 pm

@mizfan92: yeah, that's Ramin's original solo CD. Probably long out of print by now.

@Acaila: I was less thrilled with Sheen, but she came right on the heels of Laura-Michelle, who I had such a crush on. I usually don't care much about Éponine (much preferred Sheen as Fantine, and really liked her as Jennifer in Witches of Eastwick, so this is really just about Éponine), but oh, Laura-Michelle. And then she was so absolutely perfect as Mary Poppins - the US ruined that show, so I can't even really compare Sheen on that one because so much of the good stuff didn't cross the pond, the whole tone was different. And I'm still sorry I missed her in Fiddler (went later in the run, after she'd had to head back to the UK). And she was such a lovely Eliza in that final cast of the Trevor Nunn MFL with Anthony Andrews. Jo Riding was more adorable in the role, but Laura-Michelle was lovely.

I think I still have a crush on Laura-Michelle as I'm squeeing like whoa thinking back on all this.
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:40 pm

Yes, I wasn't so keen on Sheen at the time, as you say coming after LMK (absolutely crushworthy!!) and also Jo who I *adore*. But I've been reevaluating her recently and just going "You are so much better than so many modern Eponines! :shock: " I think she manages to be interesting or engaging but definitely in the character. She's got that almost crudeness about her that works really well for the Thenardier side of Éponine. I really felt like it was believable that she grew up with those parents!
Though I wasn't overly keen on her Fantine...it wasn't bad or anything, it just didn't do very much for me.

I knew LMK had been in MFL but I didn't realise Anthony Andrews was in it?! My Scarlet Pimpernel fan side of me is now in a fit of utter self-loathing!
Abaisse Chief/Chef

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:08 am

Yes, closing cast! With Michael Xavier as Freddy. Phil Snowden had gone into the ensemble by then, too, which was great because I <3 Phil.

I think my problem with Sheen's Éponine was that she kept leaning just her head forward, like a long-necked bird sticking her neck out or something (and it was really bird-like because she is tall and skinny and her nose is so pointy). I think she was trying a little too hard to make Éponine physically gawky and awkward. The rest of her performance was fine (and so much better than the direction has seemed to go lately, dear god). And after Mary Poppins and her performance as Fantine, I definitely see why she was compelled to try to make Éponine physically different, because she is lovely and graceful, but it just seemed a little much at the time.
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:28 am

I'm going to have to go and watch out for that now :D I bet it'll be the only thing I notice soon enough! :D I do love her nose though!

I've always wondered if it was me having nostalgia for my own early casts, but the West End young principals (Marius, Éponine, Cosette....not so much Enjolras because there have been at least a couple of good ones lately) seemed to be so much stronger back then in the early 2000s. None of my favourites in those roles have really been challenged since then.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Return to “Stage”