Les Misérables v Wicked

Talk about Boublil and Schonberg's stage adaptation here.
Rachelle

Re: Les Misérables v Wicked

Postby Rachelle » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:47 am

ok, I love both show (les mis more so but they both have a very special place in my heart). Les Mis is my first favourite musical, Wicked is my 2nd, Phantom is my 3rd (i'm not including any foreign language musicals here.) Defying Gravity remains my favourite song.
"Cure your Cholera with boiled water and bananas"

abbyreads

Re: Les Misérables v Wicked

Postby abbyreads » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:58 am

I recently saw Wicked on its US Tour because my mom wanted to see it. While I thought it was spectacular--the costumes especially--it certainly was not Les Mis. It's hard for me to explain, especially because I did enjoy the show a lot, but it was missing something. Perhaps I felt this way because I can't help but compare it to Les Mis, which, in its essentially all-encompassing scope, pretty much dwarfs the whole love and friendship sort of thing. Some previous posters nailed it--it isn't deep and it seems a bit bland. This within itself is a bit disappointing--with its adoring fanbase, legendary original cast, and catchy tunes, I was wanting to be blown away, which just didn't happen. I will say that on the whole, it was worth it and a great evening. I had been wanting to see the show, and now I have. But there's no comparison between the two--Les Misérables represents so much beyond its numerous plotlines, and the music and the musical really manage to convey the human spirit.

Return to “Stage”