Les Misérables v Wicked

Talk about Boublil and Schonberg's stage adaptation here.
Enjolras-the-jaw

Les Misérables v Wicked

Postby Enjolras-the-jaw » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:49 am

Okay something that has been annoying me FOREVER is my friends, and my own sister and mom are convinced the Wicked is better that Les. If this thread gets a lot of comments saying that what we all know, that revolutionary students are better than munchkins any day of the week :wink: , then I will show it to them. That said, please keep it clean.

Now with the basis over, here is some food for thought. One: Les Misérables is based on actual events, which is, in my opinion better. Also, Idina Menzel is only my 4th favorite singer, all the other ones have come from Les (my top six are Colm, Quast, Salonga, Menzel, Karimloo, and JOJ). Les has stood the test of time, whereas Wicked has only been running for 10 years. Four: Les Misérables found a perfect medium between lots of character death and a good story. Wicked kills all of one or two characters and still has a happy ending. Finally Les Misérables is a deeply intellectual play, whereas Wicked is an intelligent play, but the message is very classic and rather Disney-ish (Friendship and follow your heart).

So for my sake, as well as possibly your own (if your friends and family are like mine) please comment on this forum. :D And hopefully, there will be no Ozians instated of Mizzys, although I won't bash you if you give an honest opinion. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Enjolras-the-jaw on Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
At the end of the day, I dreamed a dream that whenever I was on my own in my life, I would hear the people sing with a heart full of love under the stars. Les Mis, I pledge allegiance to you.

Aurelia Combeferre

Re: Les Misérables v Wicked

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:11 pm

I think that Les Mis and Wicked come from two different generations of theater. Les Mis and its contemporaries (in terms of when they were first run) are more sweeping in terms of crowd/chorus scenes, rely on more actors and have certain spectacular trends in terms of stage effects and orchestration. Wicked and other plays of its time focus on a tighter cast of characters, and are a little more "experimental" in terms of their music.

So it depends on what floats your boat.

Inasmuch as I love some of the songs from Wicked and can feel a lot for Elphabah, I'm still so much more into Les Mis. The story moves me. There's so much to do on stage. The songs capture a wider range of human experience and emotion. And it's got some of my favorite lyrics. Plus, I think the Les Mis experience is very universal; it's a play that's been translated into so many languages and has received so much acclaim in different places in the world.

And something I like about Les Mis is how it can strike a chord in viewers of many ages. For instance, when I was a teenager I could relate so, so much to Éponine. When I got a little older and more restless, my favorite characters were Enjolras and the students. Now that I'm still just a little older, I find that the story of Valjean is moving me in an unexpected way. There's just something in there for nearly everyone.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Phan_in_Mizland

Postby Phan_in_Mizland » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:12 am

For me, it's the audience. Not that I'm saying that Wicked fans are bad (I am one of them) but I'm so sick of this:

Girl at my school: I know so much about musicals.
Me: OH YAY! ANOTHER THEATRE PERSON! What shows have you seen?
Girl: Wicked
Me: And....?
Girl: Wicked
Me: SO you're a hard core-Wicked fan? Coolio I guess. Who's you're favorite Elfy, Idina Menzel, or maybe Stephanie J. Block.or even....wait, who did you see? I bet you have a favorite.
Girl: Elfy was the witch, right? I liked the other one because she was pretty.
Me:....
Girl: Wicked is my favorite musical
Me: Do you plan to see any other musicals?
Girl: Nope! Cause I've seen Wicked and know EVERYTHING about musical theatre.
Me: 0.p

Yep, sick of THAT convo. I understand Wicked is a good first show (it was the first show I ever saw live) but seeing ONE SHOW no matter what it is doesn't make you a theatre buff T.T

Usually when I see another kendered Les Mis spirit, the convo goes like this.

Me: And I like Wicked, sure, and I LOVE Phantom of the Opera, but then there's Les Mis....
Girl: OMG LES MIS!!!!! WHO'S YOUR FAVORITE ENJOLRAS? I personally love Thaxton and--
Me: WAIT! What plot point do you think is more important to the story?
Girl: Javert's journy in finding and capturing Valjean
Me: Coolio, I love the Revolution Red and Black and all that jazz cause I have a freakish obsession with Revolution
Girl: Have you read the Brick?
Me: OF COURSE!
Girl: YAY! Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to go see My Fair Lady at the local theatre and then go take a class to learn more about the joys of musicals. I may know quite a bit, but I don't know all of it.
Me: :D

Am I the only one who gets Wicked teenybopper syndrome? I mean, when I saw Wicked I wasn't all "Lol I know everything about musicals" I was "LOL MUSICAL I NEED TO GO LEARN EVERYTHING I CAN. LOL WHAT IS LES MIS IMMA WATCH IT.......LOL I LOVE THIS SHOW!" but then again I was, like 11 so i guess I was less "I know all" back then......I think everyone was.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:23 am

Actually for me, I discovered Wicked some time after Les Mis. So for me it was more of like, "Les Mis?? Where has this been all my life??"

Then I proceeded to research on musical theater, discovered Wicked and a whole lot of other things, I liked the stuff but still went back to Les Mis anyway--all the while keeping tabs on local theater whenever I can afford to.

It's been five years. And I still don't know much about theater, but I'm more than happy to learn more.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

enjolraslesunicorn

Postby enjolraslesunicorn » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:07 am

I love both musicals, but Les Mis more. I had no idea about Wicked until my Uncle gave the CD to me, and then I would only listen to What is this Feeling. I LOVE Les Mis, and I have two copies of it on my iPod. I've known it longer, and I think it's so well written. I have 12 Les Mis pages bookmarked on my browser(Obsession...). I'm going to marry Enjolras. And I read the brick. And I still haven't read Wicked. So yeah, Les Mis all the way.
Last edited by enjolraslesunicorn on Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's the return of the horrendously drawn unicorn horn

livvy16

Postby livvy16 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:26 pm

I love Wicked a lot. It was like the fourth Broadway musical I've seen I think. And I was introduced to it around the same time I was introduced to Les Mis, so I've grown up listening to both. But when I say LM for the first time this summer I realized that nothing, let me repeat NOTHING could ever compare. Period. Yeah, so Wicked is good. But it's not Les Misérables.

mywildimagination

Postby mywildimagination » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:16 pm

In terms of canon-adherence, Wicked is a far-fetched adaptation of a book that was a far-fetched adaptation of a movie which was an even more far-fetched adaptation of a book. Makes Les Mis a whole lot simpler.

The Bricklayer

Postby The Bricklayer » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:17 am

I like Wicked, but it doesn't bring as many emotions as Les Mis does. They're two very different pieces of work. Although I do love Norbert Leo Butz (aka Norby [in my mind])
Tomorrow will come no matter what, but it is up to you to make it better than today.

Proud Member of the Resident Combeferre Club.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:52 am

It's a question of depth for me. Wicked has a few catchy tunes, but it's as deep as a paddling pool really. Les Mis is epic in scope and hugely meaningful and deals with big universal themes. I find the songs in Les Mis a less trite as well. I don't *dislike* Wicked, I just don't see a lot of merit in it.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Rose1836

Postby Rose1836 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:20 pm

I don´t dislike Wicked either, but I am not really a fan. I find it a bit... don´t bite, please, but I find it bland.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:57 am

No, I think bland is a fair summation actually, as is Disney. There's nothing that is really going to make you think in Wicked, the lyrics lean more towards trite than witty on repeat listens and the music, while catchy, is far from revolutionary (and yes, Les Mis could come in for criticism for its use of similiar chord structures and such there).

I don't dislike it, but I wouldn't pay West End prices to go and see it (never mind rip off Broadway prices) because it just doesn't offer much beyond a couple of hours of amusement. That's because my personal preference is for theatre that is in some way transformative, that makes you think or makes you consider something anew, that evokes a real emotional response (in addition to also being entertaining). And a few nice tunes or easy jokes or simple plot just aren't quite going to make that happen for me. Not to say it shouldn't exist or shouldn't do well, it just annoys me when people legitimately think it is the single most amazing thing in the history of musical theatre.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Pointless Star

Postby Pointless Star » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:18 am

Wicked was the first show I saw on Broadway, but I discovered Les Mis earlier. I love both of them, but for different reasons. In my opinion, Wicked has a nice set and amazing effects I especially love the clock of the time dragon!, the costumes were great, it was funny, and the songs were pretty catchy. I haven't seen Les Mis onstage before, but I enjoy the story and songs. I feel like Les Mis is a lot more meaningful, it's easier to connect with the characters and it's a more realistic story.

The Bricklayer

Postby The Bricklayer » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:06 am

Pointless Star wrote:I especially love the clock of the time dragon!
Speaking of the clock, is the 4 always written IIII instead of IV?
Tomorrow will come no matter what, but it is up to you to make it better than today.

Proud Member of the Resident Combeferre Club.

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:34 pm

The Bricklayer wrote:

I think it was IIII when I saw it last year. If you want to know why in general, this article explains that it's a symmetry thing-- IIII matches VIII better.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

Pointless Star

Postby Pointless Star » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:05 pm

Gervais wrote:
The Bricklayer wrote:

I think it was IIII when I saw it last year. If you want to know why in general, this article explains that it's a symmetry thing-- IIII matches VIII better.

It was IIII? I didn't even notice that. :shock: The article you posted is interesting. I prefer IV, but it's probably because I'm used to it rather than IIII.

Return to “Stage”