Lookie what I found!

Talk about Boublil and Schonberg's stage adaptation here.
Pontmercy

Lookie what I found!

Postby Pontmercy » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:56 pm

Would you pay $21.99 for this? :-D

I only payed 50 cents for it and it was still in the plastic wrapper!
God bless,

~Pontmercy

silverwhistle

Re: Lookie what I found!

Postby silverwhistle » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:06 pm

Well done!
Mind, it's available on CD, so not many people will be hanging on to tapes.
- Entends-tu? je t'aime! cria-t-il encore.
- Quel amour! dit la malheureuse en frémissant.
Il reprit: - L'amour d'un damné.

Victor Hugo, Notre Dame de Paris

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:16 pm

Nice! Where'd you find it?

$22 is about how much the CD version of that album goes for, or at least that's what I paid for it in France this summer... nice to be able to acquire it on the cheap, even in cassette form. That's how I got my first Les Mis recording, a $1 tape of the OLC.
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.
- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

Pontmercy

Postby Pontmercy » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:25 pm

I found a cassette version of the CSR Highlights in Oregon, but I already had the whole thing on cd so I gave it to a fellow Mizzie who still had a cassette player.

I was really glad to find it because the CD is expensive and I didn't have it yet. I already have it recorded as an MP3 and am just waiting to chop it up into tracks. Easier said than done because each song flows into the other with hardly any gaps.

I found it at a thrift store, and almost squealed aloud. It was only 50 cents but I got it for half of that because this store does half off Mondays. :D

The cassette has all of the lyrics in it as well, so now I can sing along to the Disco!Amis. :lol:

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:14 am

I've got the missing bits, too, up on my website: you'll probably notice that a verse of La Journée est finie is missing from the lyrics booklet as is the whole "La Nuit, la nuit" bit after "J'avais rêvé d'une autre vie".

OFC full lyrics and translations
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

silverwhistle

Postby silverwhistle » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:32 am

Marianne wrote:$22 is about how much the CD version of that album goes for, or at least that's what I paid for it in France this summer...

That's extortionate! It's under a tenner here in the UK (about $10 US)! See amazon.co.uk (or my local branch of FOPP!).

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:59 am

silverwhistle wrote:
Marianne wrote:$22 is about how much the CD version of that album goes for, or at least that's what I paid for it in France this summer...

That's extortionate! It's under a tenner here in the UK (about $10 US)! See amazon.co.uk (or my local branch of FOPP!).

Well, it was a four-disc set of the OFC and the Paris revival cast recording for €34 ($44 US), so I just divided by two. I don't think the PRC is widely available in the UK.
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.

- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

Roses for Ophelia

Postby Roses for Ophelia » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:40 am

I once found an OLC of Miss Saigon for 5 dollars on casette. I was halfway home before i realized i didn't have a casette player.

Anyway, marvelous find! Especially in America. I ran myself ragged looking for the OFC, only to find it on iTunes.
Rivers belong where they can ramble...

silverwhistle

Postby silverwhistle » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:15 pm

Marianne wrote:I don't think the PRC is widely available in the UK.

I haven't seen it in my local record shop, but it would be easy enough to order from there or the big HMV in the city centre. Mind, I already have it from amazon.fr (I take it this is the Paris Mogador recording?).

Pontmercy

Postby Pontmercy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:35 pm

Roses for Ophelia wrote:I once found an OLC of Miss Saigon for 5 dollars on casette. I was halfway home before i realized i didn't have a casette player.

I found that too! But I haven't given it to my Dad to record on to an MP3 yet, some of that would be a bit shocking for him. :-p

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:47 pm

I haven't seen it in my local record shop, but it would be easy enough to order from there or the big HMV in the city centre. Mind, I already have it from amazon.fr (I take it this is the Paris Mogador recording?).

I remember, it was probably about 6 years ago or so, I was in a bidding war for it and it went up over a 100 dollars. Thankfully I was outbid, because I think I would have regret it at that price. I almost felt aggrieved when it came out on i-tunes - I had had to look hard for that recording! :)

silverwhistle

Postby silverwhistle » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:54 pm

Ulkis wrote:I remember, it was probably about 6 years ago or so, I was in a bidding war for it and it went up over a 100 dollars. Thankfully I was outbid, because I think I would have regret it at that price. I almost felt aggrieved when it came out on i-tunes - I had had to look hard for that recording! :)

I've had that experience with a few things: I haven't much money, so always bow out early, and then scout around looking for cheaper items!

Return to “Stage”