Annotating and Marking Your Books

Novels, poetry, non-fiction works. Anything bound in paper, pretty much.
Aurelia Combeferre

Annotating and Marking Your Books

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:11 am

*inspired by the topic "The Care and Feeding of Bricks".

So which particular books of yours have you marked/annotated/highlighted/underlined as much or more than your Brick? How do you deal? Or do you NOT do these things at all to save your books?

I haven't marked my Brick, at all. However the book of mine that has had the most annotation and highlighting of my own doing is a copy of "The Social Contract". What else could I do while rereading it in a hospital waiting room? :lol:
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Re: Annotating and Marking Your Books

Postby 9430 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:59 am

I don't tend to annotate fiction books but I do to a small extent annotate textbooks, though never in a permanent fashion. I tend to feel as though I am defacing a book when I write in it. I also tend to annotate my Bible when the speaker in church says something about a passage that is worth noting down.

That being said, I did actually annotate my Julie Rose Les Mis the other day, just marking in some translation errors. And I found a copy of Macbeth the other day that was covered in biro (true, I bought it simply to annotate, but still).
aka Fiwen

merlin_emrys

Postby merlin_emrys » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:19 am

I don't tend to highlight or underline any books, really, but I'm terrible with turning down page corners. Just awful. It's mostly in novels and such, where I mark pages to remember particularly entertaining/enlightening/special quotes, so as to write them down or tell them to someone later, but I'll often do that just to mark a page. If there's something very specific that I want to remember, I'll usually make a note in the margin, but that doesn't happen often.

Roses for Ophelia

Postby Roses for Ophelia » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:01 am

I do the folding page corner things too, merlin, but it's mostly to mark my place. i also tend to leave books on their faces a lot, so parts i like tend to be automatically marked. i hate it when you take a book out of the library and someone has highlighted the hell out of it! Especially when they've highlighted practically the entire page and it's like ' why did you bother highlighting anything if you're gonna highlight everything?'
Rivers belong where they can ramble...

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:50 am

Oh gosh! I remember classmates who did that to their Shakespeare books when we were taking them up in high school. I would always be saying, "You guys are going to get lost come exams." And sure they did.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

LaPetiteBeth1828

Postby LaPetiteBeth1828 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:05 am

I've left both my copies of the Brick alone so far, but once to study for an essay exam on 'A Tale of Two Cities', I did fold down every single page mentioning Sydney Carton. *blush* Other than that I try not to dog-ear corners - my books get stuffed full of paper scraps instead, usually with the notes I wanted marked on them.

My Bible on the other hand, does get marked up pretty often and I think I did the same with my questions while reading 'Crime and Punishment' on my own. But generally whenever I'm in class I try to make notes on a separate paper as much as possible, even when the lecturer says to underline, because I know it'll distract me later when I come back to read it as a novel instead of for picking it apart.

Maria Combeferre

Postby Maria Combeferre » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:19 pm

I never dogear my books, but I do underline quite liberally, and mark pages with post-it's. My first copy of the brick is quite a rainbow as I underlined every line I found wise, amusing or beautiful and marked every page that mentioned Les Amis *cough* My new copies on the other hand have so far escaped with the post-it treatment.
Oh, and I started rereading 'The Social Contract' today, post-it's in hand. There are two of them on every other page I've gone through so far, I think...
It's easier to be odd or crazy or insane than to hurt all the time.

Be who you are and say what you mean. Because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail.

Martine Robespierre

Postby Martine Robespierre » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:45 pm

I usually don't mark novels, if I have to take notes I do it on a sheet of paper. But with historical/political/philosophical books is a different matter, I annotated a lot my copy of the Social Contract, as most of you did, and almost all my books on the French Revolution.
Rendre un homme heureux c'est mériter d'etre homme.
Jean Jacques Rousseau.

Entendons nous sur L'égalité; car, si la liberté est le sommet, l'égalité est la base.
Enjolras

Phan_in_Mizland

Postby Phan_in_Mizland » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:59 pm

The books I read for school are always annotated (my poor Tale of Two Cities...I love that book, but it's so written on) But I'm underlineing/hilighting my favorite quotes. (and perhaps doodling hearts evertime Jehan Prouvaire's name pops up.... :oops: ) But Dog-earing doesn't happen ib my world

enjolraslesunicorn

Postby enjolraslesunicorn » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:14 pm

I'll dog ear books, but if I'm sharing them with somebody or they're too big that it won't actually work, I don't. But has anybody ever had those bookmarks that go on the page like a paperclip, but end up tearing the tops of the pages? Those annoy me to death...
It's the return of the horrendously drawn unicorn horn

saminana

Postby saminana » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:37 pm

Those we read for school. Our French teacher even invites us to do so...
-Who's there?
-French Revolution!

LauraLeZunzu

Postby LauraLeZunzu » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:57 pm

Since I started to read politics and philosophic books, I mark those. I don't ever mark drama books (I don't know how to say it in english, but literature books, like that tells stories... I don't know...) but because I'm not used to it haha I mean, those which I don't like I don't mark them because they are not worth it. And those I like, it is impossible to me to mark them, I feel like it was to "hurt" them hahaha like when I was reading les mis, I felt the temptation to mark some quotes because the were amazing, but I just couldn't do it hahaha

Morgan

Postby Morgan » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:54 pm

(Is 'novels' the word you're looking for, Laura?)

I dogear non-fiction a lot, like a lot a lot. I also write in non-fiction books but only ever in pencil. Never ever ever in pen or highlighter.
I didn't do either of those things much before starting uni, but then I started folding over corners to mark out "things that will be useful for this essay" and that turned into doing it even when there was no essay. And then I got sucked into the marginalia wars that are waged in many, many of the books in the university library and it was all downhill from there.

I don't write in novels much unless there's something I really really want to remember next time I look at the book.
Rash waistcoats and scarlet opinions

WhoIam

Postby WhoIam » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:18 pm

I dogear pages where I like the quotes in novels, right now I have the Bible open to Isaiah (for my Jean Prouvaire tumblr) and it's highlighted all over the place. I am annotating my Brick where the F/M translation screwed with the argot.
All the world's a party, and I'm usually the awkward wallflower in the corner with a glass of water and a copy of Les Mis.

a-nom-de-plume

Postby a-nom-de-plume » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:12 am

My edition of the Brick is, and will remain, untouched (in the sense of dog-ears and annotations). It's 27 years older than I am, not in the best state of conservation. I have a bad habit of putting too much pressure when writing by hand, and writing with that much pressure could probably rip some of the pages.

And, seeing as a new edition would cost me 120 reais (roughly 60 dollars), it would be a terrible idea to ruin the one I own.

Regarding the academic texts I have to read for my classes, I have to underline and make margin notes, as it makes it easier to find the parts I need when writing my end-of-semester exams. It's a wonder that our department has a tradition of allowing consulting material in exams.
It is of public knowledge that Monsieur l'Inspecteur has the right to pronounce his name dramatically and with added emphasis whenever he sees fit.

Return to “Written Works”