Cosette, the sequel to Les Misérables

Novels, poetry, non-fiction works. Anything bound in paper, pretty much.
Amy3422

Re: Cosette, the sequel to Les Misérables

Postby Amy3422 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:44 am

Aurelia Combeferre wrote:
Gervais wrote:I woukd suggest someone buy as many copies of this and Phantom of Manhatten as possible and have a nice big bonfire, but that would be a waste of money. :twisted:

Ugh, Phantom of Manhattan. Only a step more tolerable than LND!!

I've successfully avoided LND until now, but am conflicted about it because Webber is my favourite composer and the original was my favourite play. Exactly how much would I regret just listening to the soundtrack?

Wow, I subjected myself to the Les Mis. "sequel" a few years ago and had repressed a lot of this information. It's good to know the novel has the reputation it deserves. The only enjoyable part was the beginning, because the shameless plagiarism at least reminded me of Les Mis. But yes, it does make me wish Hugo was around to sue. And smutty! Good grief! Why'd the librarian let me read it?

I actually have a lot more rage about Phantom of Manhattan, because I distinctly remember finishing it, announcing that it was the most appalling thing I'd ever read, and expressing relief that at least no one would take such tripe seriously when it was announced that Webber had failed me by making that horrid new musical. I couldn't begin to express my rage.

The saddest part is that I also own Ceresa's sequal to Les Mis. I started it, but couldn't continue. :(

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:59 am

It's not the soundtrack of LND that is atrocious, it's the story. Basically it's "Manhattan" with Meg Giry in the role of antagonist.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:13 pm

Yeah, the soundtrack is decent. And it has Ramin Karimloo! But that's about all LND has going for it...Oh, Mdm. Giry's still alive, which counts for something, and they changed the boy's name from Pierre to Gustave, which gets rid of the horrible "Your son. Our son. Pierre," that's been stubbornly clinging to my brain

Serious about that bonfire--I'll bring the marshmallows. :twisted:

From what I've heard about Ceresa's, I think I might like it somewhat. Then again, I also somewhat liked Scarlett, even though the WTF moments outweigh the "Sorta makes sense" moments and--how the heck did they let her run an Irish town? Still don't get that....

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

Amy3422

Postby Amy3422 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:23 pm

Gervais wrote:Yeah, the soundtrack is decent. And it has Ramin Karimloo! But that's about all LND has going for it...Oh, Mdm. Giry's still alive, which counts for something, and they changed the boy's name from Pierre to Gustave, which gets rid of the horrible "Your son. Our son. Pierre," that's been stubbornly clinging to my brain

Serious about that bonfire--I'll bring the marshmallows. :twisted:

From what I've heard about Ceresa's, I think I might like it somewhat. Then again, I also somewhat liked Scarlett, even though the WTF moments outweigh the "Sorta makes sense" moments and--how the heck did they let her run an Irish town? Still don't get that....

See that's too bad. I almost don't want something as atrocious a LND to have redeeming qualities. I will give it a listen though.

All I know about Ceresa's sequal is that Javert (now called Verjat!) isn't dead and that Marius becomes a man-whore. I think the writing was better than Kalpiakan's (don't know if that's spelt right). It could be interesting, but I have serious issues with the premise. It's slightly amusing that both sequals have the same title and the same cover. Also, Ceresa makes Cosette blond . . . again. :roll:

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:43 pm

So basically... this is phantom of manhattan: the les mis edition?
"Cure your Cholera with boiled water and bananas"

Courgette

Postby Courgette » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:18 pm

So, tell me, why was this written in the first place?

A spin-off book about the Les Amis - now THAT is something I'd love to lay my hands on!!
"Lord in Heaven, look down on him in mercy..."

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:50 pm

Absolutely! I can't imagine many fans wouldn't
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:14 pm

Or maybe a perspective-flip focused on Javert? It's been noted that he was probably a really good cop when he wasn't hung up on Valjean, so he most likely had some adventures we didn't see.

I know there have been some "young readers" versions with Gavroche as the POV character, as well.
"Oh my God! I'll never have time to strike a pose!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:20 pm

I desperately want to figure out Javert's past. Beyond the "born inside a jail", we don't know much of anything about his pre-police life do we? I wonder how he was brought up...
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Little Cozelma

Postby Little Cozelma » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:31 pm

Bah, I'd love to read it, but that would mean I'd have to buy it from an online shop, and I'm not sure if that's worth the money. Even though it's not much, it would be a little bit weird to buy a book that you know is going to be full of crap.

(Pardon my on-topicness! :P you can continue your conversation)

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:33 pm

Or one can just borrow it? Or get it second-hand?
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Little Cozelma

Postby Little Cozelma » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:38 pm

No, I don't have another option. Remember my location? The closest library to me that has this book is in New York. Thanks Google Books.
Never mind, I'll buy this and many other unnecessary things when I'm old and independent.
(Yes, I'm far from 18. Moments like this I feel like a baby in this community :| )

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:23 am

So...my library had this in the system. Not at the local branch, but it where it could be ordered.

I thought I would be satisfied by the read-through alone.

But apparently not.

It'll probably be in by the end of the week.

...What have I done? :shock:

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:27 am

I eagerly await your comments :D

To be honest I would read it if a copy fell into my lap :D
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:39 am

My comments may mostly consist of asking for brain bleach, but if they're anything other than that, I'll make sure to share. :wink: And that would be cool if you did find it eventually, actually. :D

Return to “Written Works”