Cosette, the sequel to Les Misérables

Novels, poetry, non-fiction works. Anything bound in paper, pretty much.
Ulkis

Re: Cosette, the sequel to Les Misérables

Postby Ulkis » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:48 am

Oh shit. I didn't forget how bad that was, I just forgot some of the details of badness. Like how the author only referred to her as Zelma. And how there was a character named Starling. And the awful metaphors.

hazellwood

Postby hazellwood » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:00 am

...I finished reading it today. It was really really really really really really really really really really really really really really REALLY bad.

Roses for Ophelia

Postby Roses for Ophelia » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:05 am

I guess the Zelma thing might be justified if the novel was first person from Cosette's POV. The only time she refers to Azelma as a child she calls her Zelma. If she met her as an adult she might only remember the childhood name, or be so used to thinking of her as Zelma, she might not be able to think of her as Azelma.

But i've never read Cosette, so i wouldn't know.
Rivers belong where they can ramble...

Rider

Postby Rider » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:02 am

hazellwood wrote:...I finished reading it today. It was really really really really really really really really really really really really really really REALLY bad.

Okay now I'm happy I had to turn it in before finishing it. This is the one time I've actually been glad with the results of my procrastination. ;)
Love,
Some Deary-sweety-flowery-bonnet
*Newsgirl_Rider*

MllePaula

Postby MllePaula » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:05 pm

Nada Kyo wrote:
I remember thinking that Scarlett (sequel to Gone With the Wind) was a masterpiece by comparison after reading it. But I haven't read either in a long time, something tells me I'd wonder how I managed back then if I re-read them again. D8

I read Scarlett when it was first released...I remember being a little nervous about it after a pretty mediocre excerpt was published in Life magazine. Between that book and the ghastly attempt at a written sequel to Casablanca, I'm always very, very wary of sequels.

ScarlettRose

Postby ScarlettRose » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:15 am

I read Cosette just recently, although I was cautious I was curious at the same time. I don't often have negative comments about books but this was an exception.
~La Pluie Ferra Pousser Les Fleurs~

Meg-Giry

Postby Meg-Giry » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:43 am

After reading what you all say about this book, I'd really love to read it. Or at least try. (Books I do not like, I unsually break off in the middle) But I can not order it form here - pitty.

MissPontmercy

Postby MissPontmercy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:56 pm

I don't get this book. I really don't. List of things I do not understand:

-Why she skips interesting parts of the book (ie, the sewers)
-Why she elaborates things that need to be elaborated on (ie, the barricades. Really, why add original characters?)
-Why it MAKES NO SENSE. Cosette alludes to wanting to 'love' Marius before she goes to England. I can't be the only one who thought that Cosette was inviting Marius over for something a little more intimate than their usual garden-get-togethers. She also eludes to breasts (a lot), breast-touching, and Marius wanting Cosette so badly that... well, anyway. But. Come wedding night, Cosette knows NOTHING. Well, wouldn't the poor girl know a little? Like, that she had body parts? Especially since, prior, she had been well aware of them.
-Why Cosette suddenly remembered everything about her childhood. I understand some creative license, ie, nightmares that have some memories attached to them... but remembering everything, suddenly knowing her mother wa sa prostitute, and keeping it from Marius...? NO
-The young Pontmercy kid marrying Éponine Jr. WTF
"God is behind all things but all things hide God. Objects are black and human beings are opaque. To love a person is to render them transparent."

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1614809/Wendla_Bergmann

MissPontmercy

Postby MissPontmercy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:07 am

lesmisloony wrote:Mine came in last week! I've been horrifying my friends with Chapter Nine and the beginning of Chapter Ten for days.

Though I cringed and wanted to die when I read the line "this is a nipple," (seriously? Couldn't he have started with something more subtle anyway? Like navel?) I think the random oral-sex with Fantine/the poor kid who's supposed to be like a super hot Gavroche is worse. Hiding him under her skirt? And then he just goes in for it? Seriously?

At least during the weirdly plagiarized/mutilated beginning, when Valjean and Gillenormond are alive, there's some resemblence to the original book. But as soon as they die, the book turns into something where they all share names to Victor Hugo's characters. And that's all. And everyone is named after someone from a previous generation.
"God is behind all things but all things hide God. Objects are black and human beings are opaque. To love a person is to render them transparent."

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1614809/Wendla_Bergmann

Never_Seek_to_Tell

Postby Never_Seek_to_Tell » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:51 pm

I had to dredge up this thread because I needed SO desperately somewhere to vent my hate for the stinking pile that is this book.
I've read the chapter-by-chapter review by Inspector Karamazov and I felt whole-heartedly the same disgust and revulsion that the reviewer expressed throughout. Only I didn't just check the book out of a library. Oh no. I OWNED a copy, shortly after it came out. I was young, a mere teenager. As someone who had read The Brick in its entirety in English as a child and had worked through the entirety of it in French as a teen, I was fairly well obsessed. I figured no sequel could be so bad.

Oh...how wrong we can be in youth.

The book was a travesty. The old characters were twisted out of all recognition, the new ones were at best two dimensional (except for Nicolette...she was AT LEAST two-and-a-half dimensional)...it was a pain to read.

I had my biggest problem, I think, with the portrayal of Azelma. I'll grant that we saw little of her in Les Misérables, but that also means that there was no guarantee she was going to turn out ten times WORSE than her dad. Perhaps once they'd gone to America, she got away from him in some manner. Perhaps his wickedness never really fully touched her; it certainly hadn't destroyed Éponine by the time she was 16 or 17.

Another point. Lying to/obstructing the truth of the past from your kids. Yes, Valjean for years kept the full truth of the past (his life as a convict, Fantine's prostitution, etc.) from Cosette. Just going by that, I don't know whether or not Cosette and Marius would have told the truth to their children early or late or never, but at least Crapakian didn't have them outright lying. I seem to remember something in this "sequel" about "Zelma" telling her daughters that Éponine (for whom one of them was named) died not at a barricade, but from lung trouble due to working in a factory. I remember a line about "coughing up blood and bits of thread" or something. If my sister had died, somewhat bravely if insanely, at a barricade, I'd totally pass the story down to the next generation.

So like I said, I owned this book once. Then, when we moved from the house where I grew up, a few things were left behind...including the book, prominently displayed for any foolish takers in my childhood bedroom (can I help it if misery loves company and so I wanted to punish others?)

Rose1836

Postby Rose1836 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:47 am

Sorry for reviving yet another old thread but one thing about Cosette wanting to curse... OOC. She didn´t curse because it was forbidden, it was her personality in the Brick to be clean-mouthed. :roll:

inkrose115

Postby inkrose115 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:22 am

Sorry if I am causing anyone pain by bringing up the memory of this book, but is it worth a read? I'm getting "so bad that it's good" vibes and I sort of want to see if this book is as hilariously bad as it sounds. But if you think it might be too much pain to endure, I will spare myself the torture.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:17 pm

Have mercy on your eyes and skip this book. You will lose your vision trying to scrub out your eyeballs. I'm afraid that at least one person on this board who has read this awful book was in recovery for a long time.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:33 pm

I woukd suggest someone buy as many copies of this and Phantom of Manhatten as possible and have a nice big bonfire, but that would be a waste of money. :twisted:

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:37 pm

Gervais wrote:I woukd suggest someone buy as many copies of this and Phantom of Manhatten as possible and have a nice big bonfire, but that would be a waste of money. :twisted:

Ugh, Phantom of Manhattan. Only a step more tolerable than LND!!
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Return to “Written Works”