Cosette, the sequel to Les Misérables

Novels, poetry, non-fiction works. Anything bound in paper, pretty much.
lesmisloony

Postby lesmisloony » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:56 pm

I just threw sanity to the wind and purchased both Cosette sequels off eBay for a total of $12, shipping included. I'm so horribly fascinated and excited.

Inspector Karamazov

Postby Inspector Karamazov » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:36 pm

lesmisloony wrote:I just threw sanity to the wind and purchased both Cosette sequels off eBay for a total of $12, shipping included. I'm so horribly fascinated and excited.

I don't know if I can find a copy of the other one. I'm really not willing to buy it, and it's probably so obscure my library wouldn't have it. Of course, it had the Kalpakin (or however the hell you spell that) sequel, so there's always a chance.

Tell me when they come in so I can nip down to the library and we can be reading buddies!
"Where should the shout of love begin, if not from the summit of sacrifice?"

Frédérique

Postby Frédérique » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:47 pm

Yay, group reading! December should be fine (just ordered an ex-library copy [of the Kalpakian; the other one can wait], supposedly with plenty of comments penciled in - greatly looking forward to those). My friend and I had actually planned a "War and Peace" readalong for sometime next month, but this is sure to be at least as educational ...

How do you play whist on a wedding night? It takes four players. (Unless it's German whist. Which is actually English. Whereas Boston, I think, comes from continental Europe :P)

a_marguerite

Postby a_marguerite » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:44 am

*shudder* I'll leave you brave souls to it. All I remember from that sequel was the enlightening, "What is a nipple?" conversation and I have no desire to remember or learn more.

lesmisloony

Postby lesmisloony » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:24 am

It's got raspberry tips.

Remember how Cosette convinced Marius to start the Revolution part three? And how there was a Gavroche clone named Starling?

Cary

Postby Cary » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:10 am

Oi.

I saw this book on Better World when I was shopping for a copy of Les Mis to give to a friend, *and* a book on the 1831 insurrection. "Cosette".... "sequel to Les Mis"... "Victor Hugo and Laura Kalpakian." I admit, I *was* curious for that one short instant, before my rational side took over, said "You don't even *read* romance!" and sent me looking for reviews. And found the following:

And of course, one ought to congratulate Ms Kalpakian on having enough nerve to rewrite the last third of the book.

and
It makes me wonder where Ms. Kalpakian gets the nerve to call herself an author. She has mercilessly plagarized Victor Hugo's beauthifully written characters, and done so without shame.
I think Laura Kalpakian should be shot at the barricade.

Brr. Not touching it. >.<

Col.Despard

Postby Col.Despard » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:36 am

No, go on, tell me so I'm not tempted - how does she massacre the characters of the Amis?
"The principles of freedom, of humanity, and of justice, will finally triumph over falsehood, tyranny and delusion, and every principle inimical to the interests of the human race" - Edward Despard, 1803
http://coloneldespard.deviantart.com/

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:43 am

I remember hearing a few ominous warnings about the book from my high school amies....nope, don't have the time to go for therapy after reading such a thing!
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

merlin_emrys

Postby merlin_emrys » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:25 pm

I think Laura Kalpakian should be shot at the barricade.

Noooo! The barricade is no place for bad authors! (Course, I can't judge yet, but from what I've heard about it ... )

I probably won't be able to join in the read, since my library's fortunate enough not to have a copy.

K. von Dork

Postby K. von Dork » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:09 pm

Col.Despard wrote:No, go on, tell me so I'm not tempted - how does she massacre the characters of the Amis?

E, by L'Hugomaster is described with adjectives that make you think of angels, and is compared to lots of pretty objects and peoples.

E, by Kalpakian is "sinewy" and other negative-connoted words...kind of like putting all of E's qualities in a bad light.

There is no R. Or JP. Or Bahorel, L'Aigle, and Joly. I think there is a Feuilly. Courfeyrac doesn't say/do much, and Combeferre is just...there. He also likes to say "I AM A MEDICAL MAN."

Also, there are no shiny classical allusions to mythology, historical events, or long-butt digressions. Yay.

lesmisloony

Postby lesmisloony » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:59 pm

I seem to remember she made up a bunch of new students. I remember throwing the book because one of them had a name that really sounded far more Indian than French. I think the ones she made up were all dying of cholera, though.

Then again, it has been about seven years since I read it.

But ooh! Not to spoil the book for anyone who'll be reading it, but Cosette has two children: Fantine and Jean-Luc. And! Azelma develops a Texas drawl and has a daughter named Éponine. I'm pretty sure.

Col.Despard

Postby Col.Despard » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:54 pm

Ha! "Medical Man" Combeferre to the rescue. Love it! So I'm guessing the glowing archangel becomes some skinny guy with yellow hair, eh? At least we know what happened to some of the guys in the backroom of the Musain that disappeared after their intro - as suspected, cholera!
"The principles of freedom, of humanity, and of justice, will finally triumph over falsehood, tyranny and delusion, and every principle inimical to the interests of the human race" - Edward Despard, 1803

http://coloneldespard.deviantart.com/

K. von Dork

Postby K. von Dork » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:06 am

Col.Despard wrote:Ha! "Medical Man" Combeferre to the rescue. Love it! So I'm guessing the glowing archangel becomes some skinny guy with yellow hair, eh? At least we know what happened to some of the guys in the backroom of the Musain that disappeared after their intro - as suspected, cholera!

Precisely!

Is it bad that I want to draw Kombuferru wearing an "MM" suit? D:

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:20 am

Damn. I sorta feel bad about that Azelma fic now. Only it didn't suck.

Just once, I'd love a sequel fic where, with all the stress and everything, both Marius and Cosette manage to not remember Fantine's name and then angst about it because Valjean only left them a history of the making of jet beads and nothing else at all helpful in writing. (I suppose that can't actually work because they would have had to get Cosette's birth record in order to process the marriage license, but what about the horrific awkwardness of her surname on that document not being Fauchelevent? If Hugo is ignoring that, then I can to, right? What is her surname? Tholomyès? Fantine has no surname, but surely by 1815, something would have had to be filled in for that.)
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:05 am

Argh, that plotbunny is starting to wait under my desk guys!
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Return to “Written Works”