Cosette, the sequel to Les Misérables

Novels, poetry, non-fiction works. Anything bound in paper, pretty much.
Inspector Karamazov

Cosette, the sequel to Les Misérables

Postby Inspector Karamazov » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:58 pm

I was lurking in my library today, trying to figure out what book I wanted to read, when a the big letters "Cosette" down the spine of a book caught my eye.

I, of course, picked it up, and found it's fun title was

"Cosette, the Sequel to Les Misérables"

By some chick who is not Victor Hugo.

My mouth hung open for a moment, and I wasn't sure if it was a parody or serious. I read the front jacket, shuddered, and finally got the courage to open the book.

Wow. I was blown away by the atrocity of it.

1. Lines stolen from the musical.
2. Cosette wishing she was allowed to swear.
3. Eppie's death pretty much a re-hash of A Little Fall of Rain.

I read half the first chapter and skimmed a few passages later on to find liberal profanity and sex scenes.

I want to know if any of you have read it. Or if any of you will take the plunge and attempt to read it with me.

http://www.amazon.com/Cosette-Sequel-Mi ... 156&sr=1-3
"Where should the shout of love begin, if not from the summit of sacrifice?"

Lara

Postby Lara » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:09 pm

I've heard horrible, horrible things about it. I plan on never reading it. I'm to afraid.

Euphrasie

Postby Euphrasie » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:10 pm

Wait until you get up the part with Marius. Best day of my life.
I'm pretty sure my cat's been reading my diary.

Inspector Karamazov

Postby Inspector Karamazov » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:17 pm

I haven't taken it out from the library yet....I need more support first. And someone to suffer with.

lesmisloony

Postby lesmisloony » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:07 am

I read it in high school. It's absolutely hilarious.

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:39 am

It's infamous for being absolutely horrible. ;)
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

merlin_emrys

Postby merlin_emrys » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:37 am

I ... may have to find out exactly how dreadful it is. But only as long as my library has it -- I'm not about to buy something that's reputedly such a train wreck.

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:09 am

Wedding night strip whist!

(total hearsay, btw - my blood pressure cannot handle opening the book. But her idea of what went on when Hugo went on about some things should take place behind closed doors? *shudder* Yes, behind closed doors, indeed. Oh, and half the book is a rewrite of the barricades on. At least Ceresa's crazy-ass sequel, with Javert miraculously surviving and possibly macking on Cosette was at least sorta unique? Kalpakian caused a lot of need for brain bleach back in the day. If I had to choose, I'd take Kiera the sparkly Mary Sue any day over anything Kalpakian produced.)
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:04 am

I dunno, "Cosette" sounds slightly less crazy than Ceresa's? At least Javert stayed dead. But then, making Éponine's death exactly like a "Little Fall of Rain", sheesh.

In conclusion, the one that is not as bad is whichever train wreck is the least number of pages.

K. von Dork

Postby K. von Dork » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:29 am

I loved Kalpakian's usage of symbolism and allegory! D:

I especially liked how she starts the book at the Barricades. You can tell how much regard she has for L'Hugomaster's work.

"I AM A MEDICAL MAN," said Combeferre.

lesmisloony

Postby lesmisloony » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:29 am

Bahahaha, I REALLY want to read that book again now. Because I've learned this past year (since Twilight came out, to be honest) that I love things that suck.

The main things I remember are that... well, once you've read "Cosette" you will never look at raspberries again.

Also, I was a freshman in high school when I read it. I did not need some of the mental images that horny old woman threw my way. It may have actually scarred me for life, because I still twitch when I think about that book and I now read smutty fanfiction on a weekly basis.

Frédérique

Postby Frédérique » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:26 am

I sort of do want to read that book, because I've put myself through all these film and TV versions and I'm running out of things to be wide-eyedly horrified by, but to import it to my backwater quarters I'd have to fork out ... three euro and seven cents. See, that's half a Gin Fizz. I am not sure the sacrifice is aptly sized (considering one could be reading both better and worse-therefore-better dime romances on the internet). But if two or three of us are going to suffer through it together ... it might be passable. And we'd surely come to conclusions of immense scientific value.

lesmisloony

Postby lesmisloony » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:03 am

Hahaha, we should have a Abaissé-sponsered Cosette readalong or something! We could all put up reaction posts when we get to certain parts...

...though if that happens, it should perhaps be after November.

Still! I can celebrate my new job with a purchase of the book off eBay or somesuch. I've long debated buying a copy just for the lulz with the knowledge that the day would inevitably come when I bit the bullet and did it.

Inspector Karamazov

Postby Inspector Karamazov » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:49 pm

lesmisloony wrote:Hahaha, we should have a Abaissé-sponsered Cosette readalong or something! We could all put up reaction posts when we get to certain parts...

...though if that happens, it should perhaps be after November.

Still! I can celebrate my new job with a purchase of the book off eBay or somesuch. I've long debated buying a copy just for the lulz with the knowledge that the day would inevitably come when I bit the bullet and did it.

Sounds good to me. I was planning on reviewing it.

Would december work? It looked long, but it felt light, so I don't think it would take to long.

Wedding night strip whist

Are you fucking serious?

This is going to suck.

Mamselle Miss

Postby Mamselle Miss » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:56 pm

Hahaha! Kalpakian. I haven't read it in years, but maybe I should go back to it. I'm up for a group reading, if I can find my copy of it.
Laughter is not all a bad beginning for a friendship, and it is far the best ending for one.
-Oscar Wilde

Return to “Written Works”