Similarities

Novels, poetry, non-fiction works. Anything bound in paper, pretty much.
MamzelleCombeferre

Re: Similarities

Postby MamzelleCombeferre » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:09 am

I've actually thought the same thing a few times. I'm currently rereading Crime and Punishment, and one of the things that struck me this time round was Razumikhin's great resemblance to Courfeyrac. As you said, both are a beautiful mixture of whimsy and strength, willing to be friends with anyone, and go to great lengths to make sure they are safe/happy/provided for etc. Raz is also far more intuitive than most people would give him credit to be, a trait that I often assign to Courfeyrac. They aren't necessarily very good about observing the obvious, but are very good at inferring what a friend is feeling, even if they don't come right out and say it.
KITTENS AND UNICORNS AND RAINBOWS OH MY! *Sparkles*

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:01 am

And they're not too terribly gentle with said friends, though they mean well, of course. :wink: It's been only a couple months ago I finished reading C&P, and already I want to read it again. Dostoevsky, for you. :wink: I think that Razumikhin and Courfeyrac are both so kind-hearted naturally, but they can be a little clumsy as well when it comes to executing this kind-heartedness. They can't imagine that someone wouldn't say what they felt. And I liked how they both just don't give up on someone. Razumikhin stuck with Raskolnikov to the end, and went to ridiculous lengths to make sure he was doing well when he was ill. Like, sitting by his bed for days, and calling the doctor, and buying him new clothes. And then you've got Courfeyrac, who lets Marius move in with him, no questions asked, and helps him sell his clothes, gives him a coat, brings him to the Musain, etc. They often get overlooked, I think, but the similarities in personality are very interesting. I'm glad you saw it, too. ...And they both didn't mind a good party, it looked like. :wink:
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

MamzelleCombeferre

Postby MamzelleCombeferre » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:01 pm

I found it hard not to see. :wink: Both are also somewhat overlooked, not just by those of us who love to make comparisons, but also by their counterpart charcters (Raskolnikov and Marius in this instance). I don't believe either of them really knew just how special a friend they had, until it was too late for Raskolnikov to say anything to Raz, and too late for Marius as Courfeyrac was dead. Again not to say that Marius reminds me of Raskolnikov in any way beyond that.

As for the party, well naturally. :wink: And then Raz's whole exchange with Dounia and her mother as he's walking them home just makes my heart melt each time. <3

There is even a specific character description in C and P that l feel runs a distinct parallel to something said in the brick.

"Ten minutes later, however, she was considerably reassured: it was characteristic of Razumikhin that he showed his true nature at once, whatever mood he might be in, so that people quickly saw the sort of man they had to deal with." ~C and P
VS
"At that age faces say it all right away. Word are pointless. There is a kind of young man could describe as having a face that talks. One look and you know each other." ~Les Mis
KITTENS AND UNICORNS AND RAINBOWS OH MY! *Sparkles*

Return to “Written Works”