Les Misérables/Victor Hugo and other books

Novels, poetry, non-fiction works. Anything bound in paper, pretty much.
Aurelia Combeferre

Les Misérables/Victor Hugo and other books

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:33 am

For its time, Les Misérables was quite a sensation. It was a hit with many people from all over Europe. Now, more than one hundred years after Hugo finished writing it, we see allusions to it in some places, and even books that show Hugo's influence.

Of course, not counting the atrocious sequels, what books have you read that show an influence from Les Misérables? Any common threads, plots, themes, characters...amusing coincidences?

For instance, one of my other favorite novels (known in our vernacular as "El Filibusterismo", roughly translated in English as "The Rebel" or "The Subversive") was written by my country's national hero Jose Rizal. Rizal's books also focus on politics and the plight of the oppressed in the times that he lived in (late, late 19th century). His novels also feature young radicals, conniving politicians, good clergy, and absolute scumbags.

I asked a teacher about this intriguing coincidence and she told me that yes, Rizal had read "Les Misérables", and was very much influenced by that and Dumas' "The Count of Monte Cristo". Intriguing information. :lol:
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Mademoiselle Lanoire

Postby Mademoiselle Lanoire » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:21 pm

Sometimes when I want new stuff to read, I pick stuff at random from the library. This time around I got out a book called "Fatima's Good Fortune", about a North African woman living and working in Paris - on the Avenue Victor-Hugo.

Frédéric Dumont

Postby Frédéric Dumont » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:52 am

There's a couple of hints at Les Mis in Terry Pratchett's Night Watch, have any of you read it?

aka Darth Gilthoron
I am the lawrr and the lawrr is not mocked! *growl*
THE BLOOD OF THE SPAMBOTS SHALL WATER THE MEADOWS OF FRANCE!!!

Chalémie

Postby Chalémie » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:35 am

There's a couple of hints at Les Mis in Terry Pratchett's Night Watch, have any of you read it?

Oh, I love Night Watch! One of the reasons I read it in the first place was because I heard about the connections to Les Mis, such as the barricades. There are so many parallels that can be made. It's like everything is there, but it's been mixed up and interspersed among the original elements.

Frédéric Dumont

Postby Frédéric Dumont » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:20 pm

I read it twice before reading Les Mis. Then I read it for a third time later on, and was endlessly amused at the in-jokes. For example, the scene where Carcer claims he was arrested by Vimes for stealing a loaf of bread... :lol:

aka Darth Gilthoron

I am the lawrr and the lawrr is not mocked! *growl*

THE BLOOD OF THE SPAMBOTS SHALL WATER THE MEADOWS OF FRANCE!!!

Return to “Written Works”