I, Claudius

Novels, poetry, non-fiction works. Anything bound in paper, pretty much.
Citizeness Feuilly

I, Claudius

Postby Citizeness Feuilly » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:20 pm

Has anyone here read I, Claudius by Robert Graves, or at least seen the 1976 miniseries with Derek Jacobi? Aside from being a rollicking good story packed with enough political and family intrigue to make your head spin, it's not wholly unrelated to our fandom - the strong messages of pro-Republicanism and how an empire (or monarchy) is the surest way of corrupting both a ruler and the people, etc. I know the story, as written by Robert Graves, is not totally historically accurate - although I wish it was - but I'm still interested to see what you guys have to say about it...

Vevette
Location: Cardiff, Wales or London England (or somewher on the train between)

Re: I, Claudius

Postby Vevette » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:33 am

Vaguely depressed that no-one answered this one so I'm going to revive - I adore I, Claudius lavishly! Did you manage to get hold of the BBC series? it's an absolute treat - not least because of Brian Bleesed as Augustus!!

morgan le fay

Postby morgan le fay » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:23 pm

I love I, Claudius! The book is very pro-republican, although that doesn't come across so strongly in the BBC version. Both are fantastic however. Has anyone read the second book, Claudius the God? I bought it, but haven't got round to reading it yet.

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:39 am

I have both, and in some ways, I, Claudius is superior because it's Claudius looking on. Claudius the God is Claudius in power, and it can't quite cover Nero since, you know, it's Claudius first person POV. And only in covering Nero properly could you come close to those fascinating chapters about Caligula. There's some nice stuff with Herod, I admit, but on the whole, you just don't get the full effects of the characters plotting since they're plotting against Claudius now. I've re-read I, Claudius but never felt the compulsion to go back to Claudius the God.

Also, thanks to I, Claudius, I had spoilers for Rome that were decidedly squicky and freaked out my roommate, so yay, Robert Graves :)
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Vevette
Location: Cardiff, Wales or London England (or somewher on the train between)

Postby Vevette » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:22 am

[quote]Also, thanks to I, Claudius, I had spoilers for Rome that were decidedly squicky and freaked out my roommate, so yay, Robert Graves[/quote

Ok, so this has just made me laugh so much I've spat out my tea! Go Robert Graves indeed!

Return to “Written Works”