Les Miz Fanlit

Novels, poetry, non-fiction works. Anything bound in paper, pretty much.
HRH Queen of the Unknown

Les Miz Fanlit

Postby HRH Queen of the Unknown » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:55 pm

Okay, since I'm a newbie here and thus far my posts have consisted of an intro and odd posts in the Games forum, I figured I'd start a topic.

So. Les Miz fanlit. I haven't read any yet, but I'm incredibly curious. Anyone read anything? How bad are they? Are there any good ones? Also, is Cosette by Laura Kalpakian as bad as I've heard? I think I'd like to read it for a good laugh and maybe to parody on FF.net. :)

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:04 am

I haven't read Kalpakian so I couldn't say. But by all the accounts I've heard, yes it is that bad.

There's a French author, Ceresa I think, who wrote Cosette, or the Time of Illusions. My friends and I stumbled upon a copy of the sequel in Paris and it wasn't bad per se, just really bizarre.

There's also a series called Pont-au-Change that's pretty decent. I read the first one and while there were parts I wanted to attack with a red pen, the plot was interesting and not abjectly ridiculous.
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.
- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

SylvieProuvaire1832

Postby SylvieProuvaire1832 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:35 am

Cosette by Laura Kalpakian

Teeeeeerrible, awful, evil. I honestly couldn't bare te read the whole thing.
Have courage for the greatest sorrows of life and patience for the small ones, and when you have labouriously acomplished your daily tasks, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.

Mamselle Miss

Postby Mamselle Miss » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:05 am

I read the darn thing in High School. The biggest impression I came away with was that the whole thing was weak, plotless, and kinda boring.

I went back a few months ago and read the first part again. This time I found the writing bad, and the characters flat and totally unlike how they are written in the original.

In short, a pale and badly written imitation of the original.
Laughter is not all a bad beginning for a friendship, and it is far the best ending for one.
-Oscar Wilde

Wolf_Of_Mankind

Re: Les Miz Fanlit

Postby Wolf_Of_Mankind » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:24 pm

I read the three Pont Au Change novels that are currently out (Resurrections, Sanctuary, and Adrift, respectively), and really enjoyed them. Granted, they're not Hugo or in the style of him at all, but it's a fun sort of "What if" story that's well thought out so far. Javert’s not quite snarky enough for me (but I write a *really* snarky Javert, so it could just be personal) and Valjean’s really almost perfect. The original characters are very clever, and well-rounded. I didn’t like the third book as much at ALL, but it was plot and not just random OOC –ness. Overall, a good quick-read type of book series. And the nitpicky details are spot on.
"Have courage for the great sorrows in life and patience for the small ones, and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake."
~Victor Hugo

*Lovely icon by Eppie Sue

Postby 9430 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:33 am

Wolf_Of_Mankind wrote:I read the three Pont Au Change novels that are currently out (Resurrections, Sanctuary, and Adrift, respectively), and really enjoyed them. Granted, they're not Hugo or in the style of him at all, but it's a fun sort of "What if" story that's well thought out so far. Javert’s not quite snarky enough for me (but I write a *really* snarky Javert, so it could just be personal) and Valjean’s really almost perfect. The original characters are very clever, and well-rounded. I didn’t like the third book as much at ALL, but it was plot and not just random OOC –ness. Overall, a good quick-read type of book series. And the nitpicky details are spot on.

I've been wanting to read that series, but it is so expensive to import that I have never really been able to consider buying the books.
aka Fiwen

Wolf_Of_Mankind

Postby Wolf_Of_Mankind » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:55 pm

Yea, they are, but I think the author is switching to a not-so-expensive publisher. It's been a while since I've checked up on it, but you can follow the blog at www.pontauchange.blogspot.com and the website is www.pontauchange.com

The website is amazing. I totally love it. :mrgreen: She has some really cool stuff up such as movie reviews, pictures, and a whole bunch of other Les Miz geekery. So if you can't get the books, at least check out the website.
"Have courage for the great sorrows in life and patience for the small ones, and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake."
~Victor Hugo

*Lovely icon by Eppie Sue

Postby 23623 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:49 pm

*revives thread 7 years later*

I just saw this post in the movie section about a TV adaptation of a Vietnamese novel adaptation of Les Mis. Googled what this "Ngọn Cỏ Gió Đùa" is and google took me to this list of Les Mis adaptations on wikipedia. Found some quite interesting ones on the list, like:
1935, Jean Val Jean, a condensed retelling by Solomon Cleaver.

Condensed retelling with...elongated character name? Is...is Valjean really called Jean Val Jean throughout the novel?
2001, French author François Cérésa wrote two sequels, Cosette or the Time of Illusions and Marius or The Fugitive. Hugo's descendants, including his great-great-grandson Pierre Hugo, wanted the novels banned, claiming that they breached the moral rights of the author and betrayed the "respect of the integrity" and "spirit" of Hugo's original novel.

I'm so curious what crimes the author has done to infuriate Hugo's descendants? :shock:
2013, Barricades: The Journey Of Javert, a novel by C.A. Shilton based on the early life of Javert.

I kind of want to read this tbh. I always have the feeling that although Javert is the main antagonist, Hugo actually reveals very little about him in the book. Even Marius gets a complete backstory while Javert doesn't. I guess this is the reason why fan fiction is so popular nowadays. Someone has to help the author finish what should have been done. :) But why is it called "Barricades"?!

Also
Wolf_Of_Mankind wrote:Yea, they are, but I think the author is switching to a not-so-expensive publisher. It's been a while since I've checked up on it, but you can follow the blog at http://www.pontauchange.blogspot.com and the website is http://www.pontauchange.com

The website is amazing. I totally love it. :mrgreen: She has some really cool stuff up such as movie reviews, pictures, and a whole bunch of other Les Miz geekery. So if you can't get the books, at least check out the website.

the second website isn't working anymore but the first one still is, and it is amazing indeed!
Revolution, but civilization

Return to “Written Works”