Grantaire, put the bottle down!

Feel free to pimp your website, community, group, or board here.
TCRegan

Grantaire, put the bottle down!

Postby TCRegan » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:19 am

A compilation I made of different actors as Enjolras saying/singing the line, "Grantaire, put the bottle down!" Super, super big thanks to Enjolras-the-jaw for helping me identify actors and gathering videos to add. I think I'm done with this one for now, though.

Let me know what your favorite one was! (Personally, LOVED David Burt, but Jeffrey Coon's was great, too!)

... ETA: - the actual link. Wow. I feel dumb now. :oops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yl0yGYra10
However, this sceptic had one fantacism. This fantacism was neither a dogma, nor an art, nor a science; it was a man: Enjolras. Grantaire admired, loved and venerated Enjolras.

Grantaire, in whom writhed doubt, loved to watch faith soar in Enjolras.

Enjolras-the-jaw

Re: Grantaire, put the bottle down!

Postby Enjolras-the-jaw » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:15 am

Wow, I just found this. :oops: Well my favorite would probably be a tie between Karimloo (since he is my favorite Enjy, and his hand-y thing is just COOL), David Burt (3 guesses why :wink: ), and Kevin Early because of the way he says it (it just seems to roll of his tongue and sound really cool). I, once I get a few more versions hope to make a "My race is not yet ruUN!" comparison :D , but unfortunately, since I do not have a youtube account, cannot post it. I will see what I can do there though. :?
At the end of the day, I dreamed a dream that whenever I was on my own in my life, I would hear the people sing with a heart full of love under the stars. Les Mis, I pledge allegiance to you.

LastAmi

Postby LastAmi » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:31 am

Hehe, it is actually quite weird listening to the same few lines said over and over. My favourites are probably Ramin Karimloo, David Burt, Michael Maguire (partly cos when he says it, you can see Grantaire looking kinda sheepish :lol: ), and David Thaxton.
The rich are rich, the poor are poor,
But whichever they are, they all want more.

The voice of the people cannot be and will not be and must not be denied

TCRegan

Postby TCRegan » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:46 am

Hehe. Thank you both for watching. I had a lot of fun putting it together. As a result, 'Red and Black' is perma-stuck in my head.

I don't know if I have a favorite, but David Burt's is particularly amusing to me.

Maguire's Enjolras is just the best all over. Might not be canon or very IC but I can't deny loving that smug smugginess. :D
However, this sceptic had one fantacism. This fantacism was neither a dogma, nor an art, nor a science; it was a man: Enjolras. Grantaire admired, loved and venerated Enjolras.

LastAmi

Postby LastAmi » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:19 pm

Yeah, I like Maguire's Enjolras too. It was just the look on Anthony Crivello's face that was sort of like "Dang it! Busted!" that made that be one of my favourites. :lol:

TCRegan

Postby TCRegan » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:03 pm

Oh I know, he looks so cowed like... "I'm sorry, Enjolras... *pout*" Grantaire would so have that reaction, too.

Enjolras-the-jaw

Postby Enjolras-the-jaw » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:10 pm

I think Kevin Early needs love for his cool way of saying it! Yes, Maguire is very good (he was first favorite Enjy, but then I discovered Karimloo and then...), but I am really not partial to such deep voiced Enjys (as shown by both Karimloo and Robyns being in my top 4 and Thaxton is about in the middle of low and high. I can never remember the technical terms). I agree though, Anthony Crivello's sheepish look is hilarious. But by far the funniest Grantaire moment is this guy forgetting to sing red and Combeferre expression afterword :P :lol: (go to 3:22 in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv4jXzn5fys ). Sorry, I just had to put that in. :D

What do you guys think about Early? :D
Enjolras-the-jaw
At the end of the day, I dreamed a dream that whenever I was on my own in my life, I would hear the people sing with a heart full of love under the stars. Les Mis, I pledge allegiance to you.

TCRegan

Postby TCRegan » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:20 pm

I need to watch my Kevin Early bootleg again. I think I remember really enjoying him in the role. I'm biased because of this HD shot Barbican one. I don't know if I can choose an absolute favorite out of those. Early's is wonderful because of how exasperated he sounds when he says, "GRANTAIRE!" like.. you know he's had to tell him this a thousand times before.

I'm conflicted on deep voiced Enjolras. I love it. Maguire, Thaxton, Hays. They're all wonderful. But Robyns is amazing and I definitely wouldn't call his voice deep. As long as I get an Enjolras who is exciting and not silly. Someone I can actually believe would lead a revolution, then I'm satisfied.

Enjolras-the-jaw

Postby Enjolras-the-jaw » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:31 pm

Silly eh? Thornton=comically high= awful. Then again guys like Edward Baruwa can sound overly deep and flat and guys like Max von Essen (very high) can be day to day: one day you'll get a great performance and another you'll get something like his "One more daAY before the storm!" voice crack :D (here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thsl50Fd3RA go to 0:46). And sometimes you'll just get Drewjolrai, who are just overly angry or growl-y and SUCK! :twisted:

So what did you think of the Grantaire in the link I posted?
Enjolras-the-jaw :D

LastAmi

Postby LastAmi » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:20 pm

:lol: :lol: That was great! I love the way Combeferre just stares at him when he misses his cue and then he's like "...(R)eeed!" and the other guy's just looking at him like "You idiot!" :D

I think the thing about the "Grantaire, put the bottle down" bit in general is how it fits in with how the actors portray Enjolras in general. Personally, I prefer it when he's more exasperated/annoyed with Grantaire, rather than full-on cold/angry (yes, I know that's more canon but...) But having said that and watched the video again :roll: I do enjoy the way David Burt just seems to explode at that moment :D
Last edited by LastAmi on Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LastAmi

Postby LastAmi » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:53 pm

Also, what happened on Drew Sarich's? Did he just forget to say the line? :roll:

TCRegan

Postby TCRegan » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:43 pm

@Enjolras-the-Jaw Yes! I love that video. That Grantaire, man... I think he's the one in the Symphonic recording and his voice is just grating during Red and Black. It makes me cringe all over the place.

@Last Ami It's so hard for me to choose which one I love, having listened to them all over and over. .. and over and over again. I love David Burt's just because of how hilarious it is. But I love the more exasperated ones, because you just know Enjolras has said that to him a billion times before.

As far as Sarich, who knows? I'm with you, though. :roll:

Enjolras-the-jaw

Postby Enjolras-the-jaw » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:49 am

Sarich's line (or lack thereof) was actually a director's decision, because if you listen to Aaron Lazar's bit as well, the same guy says it. :D

LastAmi

Postby LastAmi » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:55 pm

Ah! Okay. We'll cut him some slack then :)

Séraphine

Postby Séraphine » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:58 pm

@Enjolras-the-jaw That Les Mis bloopers video you posted is just too funny..the screaming Hungarian Valjean freaks me out haha. The other vid with Grantaire missing his line is hilarious aswell :lol:

And @ topic: I absolutely love Ramin Karimloo's "Grantaire, put the bottle down!", haven't heared a better one so far.
Be young, have fun, taste Courfeyrac. ;D

Return to “Advertisements”