London Meeting Pre-Barricade Day?

Any new and interesting events going on that you'd like to tell us about?
Frédérique

Re: London Meeting Pre-Barricade Day?

Postby Frédérique » Sun May 16, 2010 2:19 pm

After reading your comments I'm beginning to regret forking out as much as I did for my June 5 ticket instead of saving for Even More London. Here's hoping that the pure fact/s that it's in Paris and it's on Barricade Day will augment the Misérability of the tour version a little ...

That's what they do in the matinee. The evening will be tears and tears and more tears.

Ahhh, I see [F. = musical know-nothing]. (It really rather makes more sense, come to think of it.)

Postby 9430 » Mon May 17, 2010 7:30 am

It's still a good version and worth seeing, just doesn't quite hit the levels of the London show. And quite a few people liked it more than the London show.
aka Fiwen

Col.Despard

Postby Col.Despard » Mon May 17, 2010 12:53 pm

Hmmmm....meeting place is a good idea, Frédérique.

You'd be welcome to meet in our hotel foyer - we're staying very close to Gloucester Rd tube - but perhaps there's a pub nearby that might be better suited for a drink or two beforehand, or even a quick dinner? Any handy Wetherspoons? (Yes, I've been away from the UK long enough that I'm even getting nostalgic for Wetherspoons!).
"The principles of freedom, of humanity, and of justice, will finally triumph over falsehood, tyranny and delusion, and every principle inimical to the interests of the human race" - Edward Despard, 1803
http://coloneldespard.deviantart.com/

Eppie Sue

Postby Eppie Sue » Mon May 17, 2010 1:56 pm

No, there is no Wetherspoons, I don't think. So, you're all coming in for the evening show, yes? How many are we? The Pret around the corner might be a bit too small, besides we always run into cast members anyway, so that would be awkward, I suppose. There are lots of little places to eat around, there is a pub down the road in Wardour Street (there is also a pub right opposite the stage door, but that's more for guys. In Soho.) and one near the HAIR stage door. I can't really advise anything, as I never go out in that area. It's mostly Starbucks, Costa, Café Nero, Pret or Boots to get something to take away. Heh. There also is Leicester Square to meet up, of course.
Where are you going to sit, by the way? Are you getting good tickets?

Frédérique

Postby Frédérique » Mon May 17, 2010 3:24 pm

Where are you going to sit, by the way?

Um, wherever? I'm not booking from here for obvious financial reasons and I haven't altogether made up my mind re: how to go about getting all my tickets when there - I'm hoping to be at the decent end of dress circle most of my London week, but that's nothing more substantial than wishful thinking. If we're all going to sit in a specified area on the 29th, I'll make an effort to get in there. (Only, I won't get to make said effort before next Monday, so if y'all are long settled in luxurious zones by that time I'll probably not see you during the show itself.)

As concerns meeting places - I'd love to meet up at Leicester Square because I've fallen in love with the Leicester Square area (Chaplin statue! coffee/wine bar with misspelled neon sign! miles' worth of second-hand books! vaguely musical!Thénardier-like figure on the housefront of that pub across the street from the tube station! far too many opportunities to pretend one is living in a Patrick Hamilton novel!), but I can come to wherever, whenever, really. (I'm staying near St. Paul's, thirty-seven minutes on foot from the theatre - and that's according to Google Maps, whose model walker is slower than a drunkard with an occasional limp, so no amount of tube line disruptions shall come between me and the West End.)

(... all provided I'm not shorebound in the first place due to ash cloud trouble. Which right now is looking significantly more likely than I wish to think about.)

Re: how many are we - going by this thread, it seems to be you, l'ivrogne transfiguré, Despard + company, Hannah (?), me ... anyone else?

Eppie Sue

Postby Eppie Sue » Mon May 17, 2010 4:17 pm

Well, as it's a Saturday evening show, I wouldn't be too optimistic about getting tickets on the day, especially good affordable ones, but maybe that's just me. I wasn't implying sitting together, just wanted to know whether people were planning on getting a good view with the whole experience and paying for it, or getting restricted view and paying less. I can imagine that someone like Despard is more likely to go for a great seat, if they can afford it, than someone like l'ivrogne and me, who will probably sit in those for 20 quid - we can see the show every day, and we can go for student tickets easily.
And ah, from St Paul's it really should be easy to get to the Queen's. There's the Central line to Tottenham Court Rd or Oxford Circus, there is bus #23 at least that goes from there past Piccadilly Circus, and if you've got time, it's a lovely bit to walk.
The ash cloud thing is crazy. Goodness.

Is loony still up for it...?!

Frédérique

Postby Frédérique » Mon May 17, 2010 7:12 pm

(re: Loony ... and Marianne, too) No idea!

... but I'm always optimistic! *points to icon* All is for the best in this best of all possible worlds. That said, while I do mean to buy all I can get On The Day on the day, I'm going to pick up a ticket for Saturday a few days earlier to make sure I'll be getting in at all. 's just that if it were a question of sitting together-ish and therefore getting to a particular area I can't guarantee I could afford or otherwise arrange it (but that's not tragical, since during the show we'll all be watching the show anyway and not analysing one another's accents or whathaveyou).

Re: path from St Paul's to Queen's Theatre: YES. It's very practicable, isn't it? I already memorised the tube connection but if I can somehow manage not to hold my map upside down I'll try to walk the distance. Having lately invested four hours in patroling around Regent's Park in search of approachable wolves (with the intention of treating them to a "Withnail & I"-style Shakespearean soliloquy) (... I actually did find the spot I looked for, only it appears it's occupied by parrots now, and those were not inclined to greet my theatricals with quite as much awe-struck silence as expected) I've grown very confident about my walking skills.

The ash cloud is currently my worst enemy in the universe (of course the blasted volcano had to resume its blasted blasting just when I'd made up my mind to travel by airplane for the first time in history) (I'm somewhat undecided as to which idea I like less: not making it to London or having to set foot on a Channel ferry again [coldest place in the universe] [which I say as someone who permanently occupies an attic room with an average temperature of fourteen degrees Celsius between September and May]). Grrrrr.

Col.Despard

Postby Col.Despard » Sun May 23, 2010 9:37 pm

I think I Leicester Square meetup sounds like a great idea, as it's decently central (oh, alright...I just miss Leicester Square!). Shall we, say, nominate a nice early time so we can grab a drink together and then have a leisurely walk to the theatre? Would one of you locals, who have a much better idea of times and distances than me, care to nominate an hour?

Frédérique, I'll send you an email today about meeting up in London, but I spoke to Jill yesterday and she stressed she'd be absolutely delighted to have you with us as much as you'd like. I think you'd really enjoy the company of my eccentric friends (my mate from Germany with the doctorate in Medieval History has the same magpie love of history and lit that I do) and we'll have a fantastic wander around the museums, galleries and historic sites. We're staying very close to the V&A, so if you get sick of us you can just meander over there!
"The principles of freedom, of humanity, and of justice, will finally triumph over falsehood, tyranny and delusion, and every principle inimical to the interests of the human race" - Edward Despard, 1803

Hannah

Postby Hannah » Sun May 23, 2010 9:43 pm

/looks back in here after being distracted elsewhere for ages herp derp

I AM UP FOR WHATEVER basically, I am leaving on June 19th and have classes 10-4 every weekday but other than that I'll basically go with whatever those of you who have more constrained schedules decide on c: I also live like a 5 minute walk from the Northern Line so it's no trouble at all for me to get to Leicester square (which is indeed a very enjoyable location!)

...I kinda want to suggest that some of us go to Highgate at some point but that's admittedly mainly because I am fucking obsessed with Highgate, not because it has anything to do with Les Mis or is anywhere near the west end >_> BUT I THINK IT WOULD BE FUN!

edit: Oh oh I love museums and people :D I would enjoy doing museum things with people!

Eppie Sue

Postby Eppie Sue » Sun May 23, 2010 10:46 pm

Well, I can't say when I'll meet up with you, or where, but just know that Leicester Square is five minutes from the Queen's, really. It's just a quick walk north through Chinatown, then you get to Shaftesbury Avenue and are right opposite the Queen's with the big picture of Edward Baruwa, who left two years ago, waving the flag. So whatever you want to do beforehand, don't worry about time - it's all very close.

Frédérique

Postby Frédérique » Sun May 23, 2010 11:51 pm

(F. is leaving in six hours and presently going slightly loopy weighing and re-weighing her luggage and contemplating the comparative importance of six pairs of gloves versus a bag of muesli.)

Essentially, yay yay yay to everything! Leicester Square (and drinks and leisurely walks - even if they're only five minutes!), Highgate (not been there yet, but planned on it, and having a Highgate obsessive around would certainly be something), museums!
(Despard, I know my hermit self too well to swear I couldn't possibly tire of your company and the historic sites etc. etc., but for the time being I'm more worried about being boring than about being bored, ergo thrilled at the prospect of following you and Jill around as far as my borrowed boots will take me!)

ETA: Is in England now (and fighting the urge to rearrange the keys on the keyboard). Can confirm internet access (thank goodness). Has also already succeeded in walking to the Queen's (and seeing the show) without losing her way once (then walked five times around the Cathedral in search of the entrance to her back street upon returning by a different route).
Last edited by Frédérique on Tue May 25, 2010 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Col.Despard

Postby Col.Despard » Mon May 24, 2010 12:57 am

Highgate would be fine, Hannah! Coincidently, Jill and I were thinking of going there anyway...We were planning on taking the tube up to Hampstead, walking up to the Spaniard's Inn for lunch, then along the Heath to Highgate. I used to live in East Finchley and am very fond of the area. Is it the cemetery you wanted to visit, or just Highgate itself?

I once dragged a flatmate there to Pond's Square at the end of long pub crawl, to look for the ghost of the headless chicken that is supposed to haunt it.

Sending you a note with details, Frédérique.

ivrogne transfiguré

Postby ivrogne transfiguré » Mon May 24, 2010 1:25 am

I'm going to see the matinee on Saturday as well - so I will be out of the theatre at about 5.30ish, but I'm certainly willing to meet up after that. Leicester Square is indeed very close to the theatre - and it's pretty hard to get lost, you just keep walking up the road and the Queen's is pretty obvious. :D

Hannah

Postby Hannah » Mon May 24, 2010 2:00 am

Yeah, I meant the cemetery :D It's like my favorite place in the ENTIRE WORLD (that may be a slight exaggeration). I have to admit I don't know how to get there from anywhere but Archway station, but if you guys know the way from Hampstead I'd be happy to follow you along, or meet you there.. c: My favorite part is the great big plot full of exiled communists across the little path from Karl Marx's Giant Stone Head. IT'S REALLY GOOD.

Col.Despard

Postby Col.Despard » Mon May 24, 2010 2:12 am

Would you believe I've never visited the East side of the Cemetery? I was just so madly in love with the West side. To the point of trying to get the chap on the pubcrawl to boost me over the gates in the middle of the night so I could look for Lizzie Siddal's grave (not entirely sure how I was going to find it, as 1.) it's not on the tour and 2.) I didn't even have a torch...did see an adorable fox family playing around as I peered through the gates!). At my fittest, I used to try to run up Swain's Lane...I don't think I ever made the full distance!

Trying to work out times here...we could go on the 29th (tours run hourly on the weekends...we'd have to get into the Spaniard's Inn pretty early to secure a table)...or could go on the 30th if we booked the tour (they only do them at 2.00 pm on weekdays.

We could meet at the Spaniard's Inn - it's not too hard to get to from Hampstead, or we could meet in the city somewhere?

Return to “Announcements”