Les Mis in Québec City

Any new and interesting events going on that you'd like to tell us about?
Marianne

Les Mis in Québec City

Postby Marianne » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:15 pm

On the weekend of June 19, there is a group of geeky LM fans getting together to go see the Québec production of Les Mis. Because it is shiny and in French. Since that's kind of a long way for most of us, we're going to rendezvous on Saturday the 18th in Massachusetts, where I am currently working a summer job at school and have a double room in the dorms, catch a night's sleep on the floor or the spare bed, and drive up to see the show on Sunday. When we get back everyone can sleep in my room again and then go home.

I know this is only a couple of weeks' notice, but I just wanted to see if anyone else was interested in either meeting us there or in joining the Massachusetts rendezvous plan. So far it's me, MmeJavert, lesmisloony, and a couple of people who aren't very active here but whom I've met before in real life and who are awesome. If you're interested, either reply or PM me and I can give you more details about timing, location, directions, etc.

There's also a big rock festival in Québec on Saturday the 18th, so a couple people might be arriving on Friday and going up a day early. If you want to go to that, talk to MmeJavert.

I know Québec City seems ludicrously far away to most Americans, but it's only a five-hour drive from where I am in Massachusetts. There are people coming from as far south as North Carolina and Washington DC, and I can pick people up from the train station or from anywhere within a two-hour drive from central Mass, so distance or lack of car doesn't have to be an obstacle.
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.
- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:12 pm

You've read my mind. This weekend I intend on planning.

Practical things about going to Québec City:

You will be travelling to a foreign country which means you will need your passport. They won't let you back in the States if you forget it. And being that we'll be in a car, having to be held up at the border will be excruciatingly annoying, so I intend to make sure I am as prepared as possible. Bring a credit card if ever you can unless you want to figure out how/where to exchange American cash for Canadian. Towns around the border will take both forms of money, but Québec City is nowhere near a border. Technically speaking it's a longer drive to Florida than Québec City from my house, but we will be dealing with US customs/border agents.

Also, if anyone DOES come along to the summer rock festival with me in Québec City, tell me pretty soon because I am going to scope out the ticket availability and USD costs this weekend. It may/may not sell out, and other logistical things will be decided, but... yeah. It's a lot of different rock bands, and if you like that sort of thing I encourage you to come with me.
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

lesmisloony

Postby lesmisloony » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:47 am

Just out of curiosity, is this page about the same rock festival? I'll be arriving early in the morning on Saturday, as I mentioned, so if that works into the schedule I'd love to go to both events!

This is my big summer excursion this year. I have a pretty little pile of my passport, my train tickets, and my bus tickets on the table next to my bed.

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:07 am

That is indeed the rock festival! :D I'll be driving up after work on Friday to avoid evil Connecticut rush hour traffic, so we can definitely do rock concert fun times. :D
like a word misplaced

~pearl jam, "dissident"

lesmisloony

Postby lesmisloony » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:47 am

Oh great, that Torchwood thing broadcasts on the 20th... ie the day after we see the show...

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:21 am

LOL I just saw that, watching The Next Doctor on BBC America. XD
like a word misplaced

~pearl jam, "dissident"

lesmisloony

Postby lesmisloony » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:48 am

Hahaha, I guess I don't have to tell you what I'm doing, then...

Viorica

Postby Viorica » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:13 am

I'm afraid I can't. :( I'm going to be in Stratford that week.
"She wanted equally to die and move to Paris"- Madame Bovary

Sherwood Forest- The Original Series

Charmer.of.the.shadows

Postby Charmer.of.the.shadows » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:13 am

Oh man! I wish I knew sooner! I just bought tickets for otakon, which is the same weekend!
I'd totally rather do this; I don't even like anime anymore. I don't know why i still go :(

I've learnt my leason about not reading every single board the day its posted. :p

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:30 pm

For those of you on lj I put up the official planning post, so if you haven't looked at it yet I exhort you to do so at some point today/in the next few days. :D
like a word misplaced

~pearl jam, "dissident"

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:50 pm

Québec City photos on Facebook

It's privatised to friendsfriends, so if you're not friends with me or one of my Facebook friends you won't be able to see it. If you're not on my facebook and you want to see, just friend me and unless I don't know who you are I'll probably friend back. :lol:
like a word misplaced

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Charmer.of.the.shadows

Postby Charmer.of.the.shadows » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:30 am

Liz F just added you and she is me.

How was it, guys?

lesmisloony

Postby lesmisloony » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:32 am

The best thing that has ever happened in my twenty years of life.

I think.

parnasse

Postby parnasse » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:49 am

I just sent a request, too. Sounds like you guys had a stellar time. :3
It is never too late to be what you might have been. - George Eliott

Mel

Postby Mel » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:03 am

Wish I had seen this sooner! I am about in the US for a good few months this summer, and would have loved to have gone. Glad it was great, guys!

Return to “Announcements”