Meetup: Barricade Day 2010 in Paris

Any new and interesting events going on that you'd like to tell us about?
Marianne

Re: Meetup: Barricade Day 2010 in Paris

Postby Marianne » Fri May 28, 2010 5:36 pm

Here is a tentative plan for how the tour is going to pan out on Barricade Day weekend:

Saturday Morning
Latin Quarter: Rue de l'Ouest, Eglise Saint Jacques du Haut Pas, Jardin du Luxembourg, Panthéon, and of course the erstwhile Café Musain
Saturday Lunch
Why, the Quality Burger Restaurant of Revolutionary French Fries that's sitting where the Musain would've been!
Saturday Afternoon
Carnavalet (History of Paris museum), Rue de l'Homme-Armé, Rue de la Verrerie, Hôtel de Ville, Saint-Merry, and.... dun dun dunnn... the barricade!
Saturday Dinner
There are a billion and one places to eat near the Rue Mondétour, of all qualities and price ranges, so we can scatter to the four winds and regroup at the theatre in the evening (it's within walking distance, or one Metro stop away).

Sunday Morning
Saint-Marcel (Gorbeau tenement, Field of the Lark, neighborhood around Les Gobelins), probably a trip to the Rue Plumet if there's time.
Sunday Lunch
Café Procope!
Sunday Afternoon
The other half of the Marais tour: Rue des Filles-du-Calvaire if there's time, Place de la Bastille, Victor Hugo museum, a specialty absinthe shop, Eglise Saint-Paul, the former site of La Force.
Sunday Dinner
The Marais tour ends right next to the Rue des Rosiers, which is one of the most important spots for Jewish heritage in Paris... and has the best falafel joints in the city.

Javert's suicide took place literally right where the theatre is, so we don't need to block out a special time for it--you can go take a walk there during intermission if you like.

For those interested, Montfermeil and/or the sewer museum will be on Friday or Monday.

This is just a sketch of what I'll be offering, not an obligation to go along for the whole thing. I'll be posting specific meeting places and times once I've got the tour fine-tuned, so anyone is welcome to join up midway through or drop out midway through or wander off to chase pretty butterflies and rejoin us later.
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.
- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

Col.Despard

Re: Meetup: Barricade Day 2010 in Paris

Postby Col.Despard » Sat May 29, 2010 9:49 am

That looks fabulous, and you can pretty much count me in for everything! Only date I can't do anything is the 7th, as we're heading off to Champagne for the day, but otherwise I'm up for the lot.
"The principles of freedom, of humanity, and of justice, will finally triumph over falsehood, tyranny and delusion, and every principle inimical to the interests of the human race" - Edward Despard, 1803
http://coloneldespard.deviantart.com/

Return to “Announcements”