Meetup: Barricade Day 2010 in Paris

Any new and interesting events going on that you'd like to tell us about?
Euphrasie

Postby Euphrasie » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:42 am

TheHighestPie wrote:One half of me is very attracted to the idea of getting smashed on absinthe with a bunch of Mizzies as part of the festivities, but the other half responds to the thought by growling that a barricade is a place for intoxication, not drunkenness. This, citizens, is a terrible dilemma.

Well, simply ask yourself this then: What would Grantaire do?
I'm pretty sure my cat's been reading my diary.

bigR

Postby bigR » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:02 am

Oh, but Pie is a Combeferre girl. And Combeferre would not drink at the barricade.

anyway, I really don't think we can get to drunk on absinthe at the Procope prices :-((
now, I am thinking that maybe I could bring with me to Paris some "real" stuff, you know, the kind of absinthe that is forbidden in france but I can buy here... (or is my nick affecting me too much?)
IL N' Y A QUE LE RIDICULE QUI TUE

Charmer.of.the.shadows

Postby Charmer.of.the.shadows » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:36 am

I haven't been keeping up on this topic, because I thought there wasn't anyway in hell I could afford it, but I got a promotion so this could totally be doable if I start saving now.

So, uh... Who all is serious about going? How many days were you all looking to stay? Anybody interested in sharing a hotel room to save money?

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:48 am

There is an lj community set up for this purpose, so you can join that as well to keep in on all the planning efforts.

We don't have any sort of official count yet as to how many people are coming and how many are staying, however as of the time I wrote this there were 17 members of the community. At the moment I'm planning for a group of around 20-25 people for the "main events", so to speak.

There are plans for a website on which everyone intent on going will sign up and state their intentions. Some people are going to be there only for one day, some for only the weekend, some for an extended stay. Because we have people coming from all over the world at the moment the major plans are for the weekend of June 5th and June 6th only, meetup-wise. Those would be the walking tour of Les Mis locations in the city on one day, a trip to Carnavalet the other day, meeting at Café Procope for absinthe one/both days, and of course the show.

We'll be digging about for ways to get discounted tickets and hotel accommodations and airfare for the less-financially-endowed of us. Trust me, if I have my way, this whole meetup affair is not going to go unplanned for too long, so there will definitely be time and discussion on all aspects of how to get there. :D
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Charmer.of.the.shadows

Postby Charmer.of.the.shadows » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:48 am

Seriously, anybody interested in sharing a hotel with me? No commitments, just anybody have an interest? (I'd post on LJ, but I trust you guys... don't know about some random LJ people)
I'm still trying to figure out if I can even afford it... I bet if we all piled into one, it'd save a ton of money.... We can roll with it Thenardier style crammed in a tiny little garret, that I'm possative we'll mess up :)

cordeliersclub

Postby cordeliersclub » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:41 am

OKAY GUYS I AM IN.

I mean tentatively.

But it's not like being in Paris is a hardship.
les Amis de l'ABC do not laugh at puns.

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:55 pm

YAY CORDY. :D
like a word misplaced

~pearl jam, "dissident"

sophiedegrouchy

Postby sophiedegrouchy » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:13 pm

OMG OMG OMG CORDY!

Day=made.

merlin_emrys

Postby merlin_emrys » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:38 pm

I am SO there.

If it is within my power. I'm going to devote the next few months to getting money and/or a job in France through my school, and make it for June 6th. I'm there -- with a tricolour sash, but of course. I practically fell over when I read that there was going to be a mass showgoing event. I'm up for anything that's been suggested, though absinthe may not be the best idea for me, as I tend to giggle and ramble incoherently when I'm drunk. But I'll gladly join in any other activities ... all out Frenchboy drag ... sounds fun!

Postby 9430 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:02 pm

Just found that we have extra exams on the 7th/8th, even though they told us we finish on the Thursday before. So I will not be able to go. :( And I had even got another couple of people talked into going. Soo very cross. :x
aka Fiwen

a_marguerite

Postby a_marguerite » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:45 pm

Aw, 9430, that sucks. D:

I'll be there, since I'm studying abroad in Paris this year. What's the name of the lj community?

I'm not sure if Marianne has mentioned it, but would anyone else be interested in eating where the Musain used to be? It is now a Quality Burger Resturant, but, being terrible with directions, I thought that the Musain had been replaced with a McDonalds and was thus terribly, terribly relieved when I discovered it was a slightly less dodgy fast food chain.

merlin_emrys

Postby merlin_emrys » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:48 pm

I would most definitely be interested! Oh man, I am sure something will happen between now and then to prevent me going, but at the moment, in my happy dream of being there, life is beautiful.

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:14 pm

a_marguerite wrote:Aw, 9430, that sucks. D:

I'll be there, since I'm studying abroad in Paris this year. What's the name of the lj community?

I'm not sure if Marianne has mentioned it, but would anyone else be interested in eating where the Musain used to be? It is now a Quality Burger Resturant, but, being terrible with directions, I thought that the Musain had been replaced with a McDonalds and was thus terribly, terribly relieved when I discovered it was a slightly less dodgy fast food chain.

Oh honey, that's not bad directions, that's bad research on my part. :lol: At least, I don't know that anyone else is responsible for spreading around the "Musain is now a McDonalds" meme.

And yes, further research has revealed that for it to have a secret passage opening up onto the Rue des Gres, Musain would have to have been where the Quality Burger Restaurant is now. Um. At least it's a French chain?
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.
- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:36 pm

I thought it was that McDonald's right across from the Jardin du Luxembourg. :? Now I am utterly confused as to where it is...
like a word misplaced

~pearl jam, "dissident"

a_marguerite

Postby a_marguerite » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:43 pm

If you are standing in front of the Luxembourg and looking at the McDonalds, just look more to the left. It's right across the street from the McDonalds.

I think....

Return to “Announcements”