Meetup: Barricade Day 2010 in Paris

Any new and interesting events going on that you'd like to tell us about?
MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:05 pm

Oh! Oh, I see--the Quality Burger that's right across the rue Soufflot, like? I REMEMBER THAT PLACE NOW. :lol:

The LJ community is barricadeday -- I'm pretty sure there's a post on this very thread about it, only back a page or three...
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:52 am

Nevermind, link disappeared as soon as I posted it. Creepy.

ETA: And link mysteriously reappeared today, woo. Anyway. Any of the film buffs in Paris who will be there should go to the forum des images and see if they can watch the silent versions of Les Mis.

merlin_emrys

Postby merlin_emrys » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:43 pm

OK, so I figured out what it'll take to get me there! The cheapest fare I could find was $900, give or take, so I've got to earn roughly $1000 in all. I think. So in short, I still don't know if I can make it, but within reason, I'd do anything. (I would, say, sell some of my possessions to supplement the money from the job I haven't got yet! But I'm averse to taking my roommate's very sarcastic suggestion that I seek other means ... )

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:30 pm

Okay so Théâtre du Châtelet got back to me on group tickets. Assuming 15-ish people, they have Really Nice Tickets available all together in a row for €98 each. They could also split us into groups of four or six if we want tickets for €83, €58, or €38. (Anything cheaper than that and the view will be crappy or nonexistent.)

What say you all? What price range works for you? Keeping in mind that the dollar-to-euro exchange rate is hideous and only getting worse, so the most expensive tickets will probably be about $150 by the time we book. Booking a ticket does require financial commitment, but I'm sure you'd be able to sell your place off to another fan if your travel plans change.
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.
- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

merlin_emrys

Postby merlin_emrys » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:26 pm

As cheap as possible is best for me, so the "crappy or nonexistent" view would do. I'm a very impoverished student.

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:39 pm

I'm not going to be able to plan ahead for any of this, so please do what you will, and if by some miracle I manage to get a full-time job by spring, I'll figure out how to tag along. (Come on, employment figures - start going in the happy direction.)
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:39 am

I agree with the cheaper ticket ranges for several reasons:

1) All sitting in one row makes it hard to fangirl with someone sitting six seats away. *g*
2) Cheaper tickets mean more likelihood of us getting 15+ people in a group
3) Group seating is a really really good idea because, with almost all of us being outside of France, there will not be a need to prove your identity to get your ticket, as would be the case for individually purchased tickets. This is an especially good idea if something comes up after you've bought your ticket and you determine that you won't be able to make it -- then someone else can pay you for your ticket and there's no loss involved.
4) No, we as LM fangirls really do not need the very best and most expensive seats to enjoy the show. Seriously, we don't. *g* Especially those of us who, uh, have seen it scores of times.
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Frédérique

Postby Frédérique » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:09 am

I, too, vote for the cheaper seats. Though, is that 'crappy and nonexistent view' as in 'far away and from a funny angle', 'far away and a lot of tall people in front you', or 'behind you the broom closet, and you are lucky to so much as hear a thing' ... or all three?
What about the first night/second night choice? Assuming the largest group's coming together on the fifth, that one could be divided into littler groups, and those (presumably less) coming back on the sixth could plant themselves in a row with a decent view?

Col.Despard

Postby Col.Despard » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:39 am

I like that idea!

I want to be with as many of you as possible on the night we all go (and I'm sure that the two mates who want to tag along do as well), but I'd love to join a smaller group/better seats on the other night. Remember: I'm from Australia, which is starved of exposure to Les Mis. I need to cram as much in as possible (intend to do a session in London, too, on the way through...which will take me back to my old West End stomping grounds. Sob.).
"The principles of freedom, of humanity, and of justice, will finally triumph over falsehood, tyranny and delusion, and every principle inimical to the interests of the human race" - Edward Despard, 1803
http://coloneldespard.deviantart.com/

Mamselle Miss

Postby Mamselle Miss » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:25 pm

I'm for the cheaper option as well. It will make going both nights that much easier.
Laughter is not all a bad beginning for a friendship, and it is far the best ending for one.
-Oscar Wilde

Viorica

Postby Viorica » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:39 am

Also throwing my vote in for the cheaper option.
"She wanted equally to die and move to Paris"- Madame Bovary

Sherwood Forest- The Original Series

sophiedegrouchy

Postby sophiedegrouchy » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:26 pm

Cheap-but-not-crap tickets sound like a good plan to me.

IN OTHER NEWS my attendance has changed from a "maybe" to a "probably." :D

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:21 pm

All right, so the general consensus is for the €38 seats?

The other two options are €23 restricted-view seats and €10 seats with no view at all, only sound. I have no desire to get either of these options, and I also don't want to inflict a restricted or nonexistent view on someone who might not have seen the show before and gets outvoted by people who've seen it sixty billion times and want cheap seats.

Just to clarify: if they split us up, we will not be in a multi-row block. We will be in dribs and drabs all over the theatre, probably in the third balcony and the nosebleeds for the €38 seats, in the rear orchestra and the side balconies for the €58 seats. There is a seating plan here; I think white=€10, orange=€23, yellow=€38, purple=€58, blue=€83, and tan=€98.

I will ask the theatre if we can reserve without paying immediately. I've set up a PayPal account where the money for group tickets can be sent, but I still need to figure out what the surcharges are so I can add them to the ticket prices. If for whatever reason you can't or don't want to use PayPal, PM me and I'll give you my real-life address so you can mail cash or a check, but if you live outside the euro zone it will probably be fraught with difficulties.

EDIT: Also! Do we want June 5 or June 6? I will ask which night we can get more seats together, but if y'all express a strong preference I will go with it.
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.

- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

merlin_emrys

Postby merlin_emrys » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:28 pm

I'm going to be there the 6th, I think -- I'd have trouble getting there earlier since my sister's birthday is the 3rd and I've got to be there, so count me in for the 6th.

Frédérique

Postby Frédérique » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:54 pm

Well! At the end of the day I would rather fork out more money (more than 38€, gladly, but also more than 58€, if that were agreed upon) and be in likeminded company and able to see a passable amount than squeeze in on the cheap and take away nothing from the experience in terms of either viewage or squeeage.

Either night, both nights, anything!

Return to “Announcements”