The Away Thread

Any new and interesting events going on that you'd like to tell us about?
Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:17 am

bigR, have you been studying the 16th century by any chance?

bigR

Postby bigR » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:35 am

I'm most into the 1st third of the 17th but of course you can't understand that without knowing quite a bit about at least the 2nd half of the 16th, so I've been and still am reading about it.
Why? Are you working with that period aswell?
IL N' Y A QUE LE RIDICULE QUI TUE

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:12 pm

No, just particularly interested in it. :)

bigR

Postby bigR » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:56 am

Mmmm.... french renaissance. The first half of the century is ok but what I love is the second part, with Catherine de Medicis, the religious wars, the 3 henris, the king's mignons...
Have you seen "la reine Margot"?

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:20 am

Mmmm.... french renaissance. The first half of the century is ok but what I love is the second part, with Catherine de Medicis, the religious wars, the 3 henris, the king's mignons...
Have you seen "la reine Margot"?

Yeah! I think I discussed it with you a little while ago, book vs movie. Right now I'm trying to see if the older movie with Francoise Rosay is floating around somewhere on the internet, as it seems to be only on tape even in France.

Unfortunately, there aren't many books about Catherine de Medicis in English. The only decent one I've seen in one by Leonie Frieda. I think the biography by Balzac is available in English though; I should probably check that out. (Edited to add - I thought it was a biography but I'm looking at it here and apparently not?)

bigR

Postby bigR » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:09 pm

Yes, I remember our conversation now! I've been away for so long that I've forgotten everything...

I want to buy this http://www.amazon.fr/Catherine-M%C3%A9d ... 998&sr=1-5 from amazon.fr, but I don't know about any good books in english about her. I wouldn't trust Balzac too much. He is a novelist and his accounts of the period are always interesting but full of imagination and 19th century miscontemptions.

Anyway, Catherine has a non-present but very relevant role in the story I'm writing, and there will also be a flash back to the murder of Henri de Guise and to Catherine's death, so I'll have to write her, but not for a while.

I couldn't tell which of the 3 henris is my favorite, though. Henri de Navarre was such a peasant but SO clever, and SO strong, and so innocent when women were involved, you can't help but love him. But then Henri de Guise is HOT, so proud and aristocratic... and Henri de Valois is so incredibly complex, with all his gayness and his weaknesses... yes, I think that he is probably my favorite out of the 3 of them..

Col.Despard

Postby Col.Despard » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:38 pm

My boss - an amazing woman - has a habit of giving me bios for my birthday as she knows it's my preferred reading. One was a recent(ish) bio of Catherine...I'd have to look up the author. Reading it had the opposite effect to the author's thesis of brilliant woman combatting overwhelming odds. Instead, she came across as rather less than I imagined her - less competent, less skill, more adrift on the tides of the times than controlling them. I'd like to read something else about her (bring on my French language lessons!). It did serve as an intro to the Wars of Religion, though, which I'd always skirted a bit around and had only a hazy idea about.

I'm away from today until mid-next week, kicking my heels up at a friend's mega birthday bash in New Zealand's South Island. May be able to check in, but on the other hand, I might be bungy jumping off a bridge. Have a good weekend!
"The principles of freedom, of humanity, and of justice, will finally triumph over falsehood, tyranny and delusion, and every principle inimical to the interests of the human race" - Edward Despard, 1803
http://coloneldespard.deviantart.com/

parnasse

Postby parnasse » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:25 pm

Work and daily life made me a stressed and rather irritable person, so I needed a break. But I'm back, not sure for how long.
It is never too late to be what you might have been. - George Eliott

Mamselle Miss

Postby Mamselle Miss » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:50 pm

Leaving for the airport in about ten minutes. I'll be back Monday night.
Laughter is not all a bad beginning for a friendship, and it is far the best ending for one.
-Oscar Wilde

Re: The Away Thread

Postby 9430 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:42 pm

Off to Greece for a week-long fieldtrip tomorrow. I'll be back next Saturday.
aka Fiwen

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:30 pm

Will be posting sporadically till about January 3 or 4 because of family gatherings. And probably no posting from December 27 till New Year because of an island trip.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

MusicalTwin

Postby MusicalTwin » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:43 pm

Just to be on the safe side I better announce this in time:

Due to Christmas, family and New Years activities I'll probably not be online very much between December 18th and January 4th. Just so you don't worry where I've gotten to. :wink: :P
~*Last' inn tegitha!*~
(Listen, your instinct will lead you!)

~*What makes us special makes us strong!*~

merlin_emrys

Postby merlin_emrys » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:37 pm

Good idea, MusicalTwin -- I'll probably be AWOL for all of the Christmas holidays, too. Hope everyone has a lovely holiday season!

Cary

Postby Cary » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:36 pm

Thirded. ;)

I've been popping in and out of here every other day, but I haven't had time to post more than a couple of comments, much less draw, so I'm as good as absent. :( I'll actually be physically absent for nine days from the 22nd to the 30th of this month, though - going to Hong Kong/Macau/Shenzhen/Guangzhou (spelling?) - so I'll probably see everyone again before the year is out.

Col.Despard

Postby Col.Despard » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:43 am

I'll be dropping in and out as well...I've have a couple of weeks off from Christmas Eve, but intend to put myself at the disposal of sister and kiddies. We're sort of running a commune out here in my folks' house (my mother is beside herself with happiness at not only having her three children, but also her grandchildren here).
"The principles of freedom, of humanity, and of justice, will finally triumph over falsehood, tyranny and delusion, and every principle inimical to the interests of the human race" - Edward Despard, 1803

http://coloneldespard.deviantart.com/

Return to “Announcements”