Off to see new B'way Les Mis

Any new and interesting events going on that you'd like to tell us about?
welch

Off to see new B'way Les Mis

Postby welch » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:27 pm

Off to see the new Les Mis on Broadway. It's in previews, which makes the tickets closer to affordable. I hope people swarm the ticket office and it runs forever!

And, just for the record,

- I saw the 1986 Broadway version, a reward for our office of General Electric. Heard Valjean and could not believe anyone could hit and hold those high notes. Yes, that was Colm W himself. Even though I knew the story, I dissolved in tears. A bit awkward for a computer programmer at GE, except that others were snuffling, too.

- Took my daughter to see the 2006 (?) B'way version. She had seen a weak late-90s movie, and expected to be bored. We both collapsed in tears.

- Daughter took me to see The Movie during opening week. Even though we both knew the story and had seen the show before (twice for me), we collapsed again. I started weeping about the time Fantine is thrown into the street, and each scene afterward was overwhelming.

So...wonder how long I'll last this time?

welch

Re: Off to see new B'way Les Mis

Postby welch » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:03 pm

This version is as good as prebvious versions of Les Mis, and maybe a little better. Small bits have been added, small improvements. The cast is uniformly fine.

Go see it!

R the Cynic

Postby R the Cynic » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:00 am

That's great! If I may ask, what lyric changes did they make?

Also, how was Ramin?
He who does not weep does not see.

'Vive la Rèpublique! I belong to it!'

Je n'entrave que le dail comment meck, le daron des orgues, peut atiger ses mômes et ses momingards et les locher criblant sans être agité lui-même.

welch

Postby welch » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:59 am

I'm not a theater pro, but someone has noted all the small changes. The song-order is the "normal" order for the stage. Hooper switched a song ("I dreamed a dream") because he felt it had more impact after Fantine had sold herself to the captain ("you can wear your shoes..."). I think he's right, but who am I?

The Bishop still buys Valjean's sould for Gid, rather than saves it.

No giant changes.

Delighted to see the stunned 20-year-old kids with their parents. Clearly a second generation has wrapped their arms around this wonderful show.

(We flew to see our grandsons last weekend. Also son and daughter-in-law...my wife had to bash me with an elbow because I kept humming "Do You Hear the People Sing?", over and over. Wasn't even aware.)

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:34 pm

Just to clarify, one of the reasons IDAD is in the position it is in the stage show is because the ensemble are in the scenes on either side of it in completely different costumes. They need some turnaround time to get into their whore outfits. The film didn't have that problem of course.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:31 pm

The whore corsets are worn under the ATEOD worker outfits, so it's actually a pretty quick wardrobe change regardless.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:59 am

Even with make up and hats? That's the reason that's always been given for it anyway.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:39 am

Doesn't take too long to jam a hat on your head and poorly apply rouge. Given that IDAD is where it is, you can take the extra time to do it more slowly if you need to. But they definitely are wearing those corsets under their shirts already. Regardless of what the ensemble is doing or needs to do, it does make for a good transitional song.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:32 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jvyzcjyt3I

Carrie Hope Fletcher gives a behind the scenes look, it's relevant to the costume questions raised here. And it's fun to watch. :wink:
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Return to “Announcements”