Barricade Day 2012

Any new and interesting events going on that you'd like to tell us about?
Maria Combeferre

Barricade Day 2012

Postby Maria Combeferre » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:02 pm

I was just wondering if there are any plans for Barricade Day this year, specifically if people were planing on going to Paris. I'm still deciding if I'm gonna go there myself so thought I'd see if there are gonna be anyone else there. After all, it is the 180th anniversary of the insurrection this year, so it's a little special wouldn't you say?
It's easier to be odd or crazy or insane than to hurt all the time.

Be who you are and say what you mean. Because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail.

Enjolras-the-jaw

Re: Barricade Day 2012

Postby Enjolras-the-jaw » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:28 pm

I am unfortunately not going to Paris this year, but my plan is this: dress up as Enjolras, stay up all night on the 5th, and go into school with the flag of freedom, still dressed as Enjy. Thoughts?
At the end of the day, I dreamed a dream that whenever I was on my own in my life, I would hear the people sing with a heart full of love under the stars. Les Mis, I pledge allegiance to you.

Maria Combeferre

Postby Maria Combeferre » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:13 pm

GO GO GO! It sounds absolutely awesome, Sirius :D
It's easier to be odd or crazy or insane than to hurt all the time.

Be who you are and say what you mean. Because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail.

LesMisPhangirl

Postby LesMisPhangirl » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:54 am

Sadly I can't afford to go to Paris, but oh how much I'd love to for Barricade Day/Days {because Paris just loves a random chick sitting on a bench along the you-know-which river crying, with "distraction knitting needles and yarn" wasting space on her lap, at an obscene hour of the morning :oops: :cry:}!

Honestly, I have no idea what I'm going to do for this year's Barricade Day seeings as it will be my first {yay me!}. Suggestions, anyone?

I'm probably going to watch a whole bunch of Les Mis stuff. Hug my brick a couple times too maybe {scare my family...}. Of course, I'll probably also end up loafing around in my Javert jacket for three days straight, and, by three days straight, I mean when I'm awake and not making sure I smell decent *cough*, since the buttons on my coat aren't secured down enough to sleep in the thing {I've tried. Trust me. :B I almost lost a button that way, but I managed to find it later}.

Also, call me stupid, but I requested off work {I put "personal reasons" as my excuse so they'll probably say no...}, since I have no idea how I'll handle Barricade Day the first time around, and I doubt they'd appreciate me sitting at the cash register in a children's amusement park crying every five minutes... :oops:

My Les Mis fangirling is not healthy at all, is it? lol Don't answer that question. :lol:
Not active on here much, lurking only when necessary, for reasons most don't need to know. Contact info's on my profile. I might be active again later. I don't know. Until then lovelies!

LastAmi

Postby LastAmi » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:55 am

I can't go to Paris, but me and my (newly obsessed) Mizzie friends are gonna dress up and hopefully start a Les Mis flash mob in the school dining hall, which should be... interesting :P
The rich are rich, the poor are poor,
But whichever they are, they all want more.

The voice of the people cannot be and will not be and must not be denied

Mlle_Alexandrie

Postby Mlle_Alexandrie » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:01 pm

Oh my gosh, that plan is awesome to the epic degree :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'm probably going to wear the Les Mis tee shirt I got in London, re-read the Brick, annoy my friends and/or history class with long rants about the Paris Uprising of 1832, derp around singing Les Mis songs in three different languages, maybe draw something in memory of Les Amis and/or get a friend who can actually draw to do it for me... nothing special.
"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:06 pm

Sadly, I'll be spending barricade day at medical school. But I'm sure there must be something I can do... :) :)
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

languageotaku

Postby languageotaku » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:14 pm

I can't go to Paris, unfortunately, but it would be awesome to do something for Barricade Day.

Would anyone be interested in having a Les Misérables semi-local meetup? I live near NYC, and it would be cool if a bunch of Les Misérables fans could get together on Barricade Day, or perhaps the weekend before/after and go to a French restuarant, cafe or something.

LesMisPhangirl

Postby LesMisPhangirl » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:20 am

Aurelia Combeferre wrote:Sadly, I'll be spending barricade day at medical school. But I'm sure there must be something I can do... :) :)

Well it all depends on your school's dress code {if they have one}, but you could probably wear a Les Mis shirt. If that's not allowed, there's always the option of dressing up in all three colors of the French flag. There's also the possibility of listening to Les Mis on the way to and from school and from classes. Just a couple suggestions that might work. :)

languageotaku wrote:I can't go to Paris, unfortunately, but it would be awesome to do something for Barricade Day.

Would anyone be interested in having a Les Misérables semi-local meetup? I live near NYC, and it would be cool if a bunch of Les Misérables fans could get together on Barricade Day, or perhaps the weekend before/after and go to a French restuarant, cafe or something.

Sadly, I live closer to the Maryland border than to NYC {wait a few years and that might be a different story :mrgreen:}, but, depending on the final location, I might be able to go. Depends on the cash I have, since I'd probably need to find my own transportation {read also: Amtrak}. So I guess count me interested for now.
Not active on here much, lurking only when necessary, for reasons most don't need to know. Contact info's on my profile. I might be active again later. I don't know. Until then lovelies!

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:01 am

No meetups for me at Barricade Day this year. I have enough to do the next five months as it is :lol: Otherwise I'd offer to rideshare. I just have too much else to do and too much else taking my money. Besides, June 6 is a Wednesday so I'll be at work anyway, sigh. My best guess for my Barricade Day will be writing fanfic and staying up too late.
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

LesMisPhangirl

Postby LesMisPhangirl » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:16 am

This is me brainstorming, but, since it's relevant to this thread, I'll post it here:

Assuming my torrent downloads everything in time {you never know with my internet connection...}, I'll probably end up watching Shoujo Cosette again over those three days. {The Javert fangirl in me: *singing* "De Nile ain't just a river in Egypt!"}

This means I have to watch my E/R OTP die in the saddest possible way again though. Because there wouln't be enough tears shed those three days as it is...

My mother already said she's leaving the county for those three days. :roll: Yes, Mom. I can't hole myself up in my room whenever I feel like crying {read also: hole myself up in my room for three days straight}, Mom. *sigh*

I should stock up on dessert crepes just because, even if I have no idea whether crepes were around in the 1830s. They just taste so darn good though!

Can you tell I have no idea what to expect come June 5th through 7th? :?

The Bricklayer

Postby The Bricklayer » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:07 pm

I can't go to Paris, but I wish I could. :(
I shall be at school ranting to my friends about the June Rebellion and hitting them with the Brick.
I also hope to finish the Brick again before/on Barricade Day this year. (I finished it for the first time last Barricade Day.)
Tomorrow will come no matter what, but it is up to you to make it better than today.

Proud Member of the Resident Combeferre Club.

MmeFeuilly

Postby MmeFeuilly » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:34 pm

Mum is letting me stay home from school, since there is a group of us meeting on AIM watching the 25th anniversary (We watched the TAC last year).
I Live On Constellation Street

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:00 am

In addition to it being the 180th anniversary, the days of the week also line up... June 5 and 6 were a Tuesday and a Wednesday in 1832, and will be again this year.

/trivia o' the day
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.
- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

BlazingDarkness

Postby BlazingDarkness » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:45 am

Personally, I was planning on dressing up as Enjolras (which will hopefully include hair dye), making a barricake, and trying to go through the whole day of school using only sung parodies to communicate. I don't know how well that will work, especially during math class...(While checking my homework against a classmate's: "My answer, my answer: Five-two-point-three-six! So, my friend, you see it's true, I got the same product as you! What is is: Sixteen-point-six-piiiiii!!!!!"...Yeah, we'll see how that goes...)

This is my first barricade day; I'm really excited. I've been counting down the days, much to the dismay (well, not so much dismay as confusion) of my classmates, particularly one who is unfortunate enough to sit next to me in both English and History ("Hey, {Name}, guess what?" "What?" "Now there's only thirty-seven days left!" "Until Barricade Day?" "Yeah!")

Return to “Announcements”