New ficfest community!

Any new and interesting events going on that you'd like to tell us about?
MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

New ficfest community!

Postby MmeJavert » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:55 am

The idea's been/being batted around on Tumblr about doing a fan fest for Les Mis.

I said ficfest in the title but really it would be a fest for all fanworks, so people who do creative things other than art would definitely be included as well.

Unlike the kinkmeme, which everyone here is probably familiar with by now, a fan fest would be a more structured thing, where people would post their name & prompts that they would like to read, and then names/prompts are distributed at random to all the other participants, and then you would be required to write a fic/make a drawing/do some sort of creative fanwork to fill the prompt you were given by a stated deadline.

Alongside the main fest there could also be biweekly/monthly prompts that would NOT be required as part of the fest, but for anyone who missed signups for the fest or who didn't want to participate in a structured event. It would have a singular prompt and anyone could make fic/art/other creative works to fill that singular prompt.

So... anyone else interested in something like this? :D It's probably going to be set up on lj, but you don't have to have a livejournal account to participate. We'd probably set it up so non-ljers can post, but it wouldn't be anonymous; you'd want to use your regular screen alias or e-mail address or something instead if you don't want to make an lj account.
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Aurelia Combeferre

Re: New ficfest community!

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:27 am

Game! I want my Miz muse back. :)
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Ravariel

Postby Ravariel » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:20 pm

I'm in, naturally--I'm so glad this is happening!
"I learned not to fear infinity,
The far field, the windy cliffs of forever,
The dying of time in the white light of tomorrow."
--Theodore Roethke

TCRegan

Postby TCRegan » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:32 pm

Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes!

Most emphatically yes, you know I'm in. :D
However, this sceptic had one fantacism. This fantacism was neither a dogma, nor an art, nor a science; it was a man: Enjolras. Grantaire admired, loved and venerated Enjolras.

Grantaire, in whom writhed doubt, loved to watch faith soar in Enjolras.

Enjolras-the-jaw

Postby Enjolras-the-jaw » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:06 pm

Absolutely, but which website would this be through: Fanfiction.net or LiveJournal?
At the end of the day, I dreamed a dream that whenever I was on my own in my life, I would hear the people sing with a heart full of love under the stars. Les Mis, I pledge allegiance to you.

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:22 pm

Most assuredly not ff.net. :lol: We're going through livejournal. The comm hasn't been made yet; I just wanted to vet for ideas. I also mentioned this in the first post, in case you skimmed past that part...

(Hint: TCRegan and Ravariel seem to have been the ones doing the most chatter with me about it on tumblr)

Any ideas you have for prompts or fest-themes can go here. As well as a nice name for the new lj community because I confess I haven't a clue. It took me like two weeks to decide what to call this forum. XD
like a word misplaced

~pearl jam, "dissident"

TCRegan

Postby TCRegan » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:49 am

I still like my Valentine's Day prompt idea, at least for one. Ravariel had quite a few ideas but I'll let her post them up.

As far as a name, you can go with something generic like the Les Misérables Fic Fest. Or if you want to be witty, maybe a quote or line from the Brick.

I will definitely revisit to vomit out more ideas as they come.

-We need an AU theme of sorts. If they survived the barricades. Definitely am a fan of this.
-First Time - whether it's first time sex or first time meeting of the Amis (I like stories trying to figure out how they all met)
However, this sceptic had one fantacism. This fantacism was neither a dogma, nor an art, nor a science; it was a man: Enjolras. Grantaire admired, loved and venerated Enjolras.

Ravariel

Postby Ravariel » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:48 pm

I love first meetings! They are almost always fascinating. TC, you also mentioned a "on the barricades" theme, didn't you? The '32 barricades. Which lead me to think of a 1830-themed one, events or aftermath or whatever.

Also, childhood ones. Whether that's the childhood of a character we meet as an adult (amis, Fantine, Javert, whoever) or something about young Cosette or Gavroche. And then we could always center one around minor or ignored characters.

Kind of in alignment with the first meetings theme, perhaps how an Ami first encountered Republicanism or was won over to it. School or work centered/based stories. AUs from a determined, unusual point (like, I don't know, what if Combeferre had managed to offer the trade of Javert for Prouvaire in time.) Stories centered around a significant inanimate object (like the Musain’s map of France under the Republic.) Barricade survival AUs would be fun too...who doesn't like to see them survive, after all?
--Theodore Roethke

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:08 pm

What do you think of calling it "almosthistoric"? I have the community create page open now and the name is actually available. (other/better ideas accepted of course; though I can't change it after I've created it.)

And I am LOVING all these theme ideas. I love all you creative people. :D
like a word misplaced

~pearl jam, "dissident"

TCRegan

Postby TCRegan » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:05 am

I might have mentioned an on the barricades theme. ... Memory blurs after 6 hours, to be honest, unless it's something that really sticks. I love the idea of the '30 barricade, too.

I like almosthistoric! It makes sense. Because it's not only talking about Les Amis, is it? The entire book is just one big bit of historical fiction. It could have happened easily.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:22 am

Ooh, AUs and barricade survival. Too tempting!

What I want to see is a '30 minutes later what if" challenge. Writing about how LM would have played out if Javert had walked in the Gorbeau hovel 30 minutes later, if Marius had been 30 minutes later at the barricade, etc, etc.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:34 am

http://almosthistoric.livejournal.com/

I got impatient and set up the comm. Plz feel free to make suggestions. ;)
like a word misplaced

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:59 pm

Joined the comm under the username niliwen.

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:18 pm

I asked this over on tumblr too, for extra signal:

what do you think of me starting up the first fest today?

Here’s my thoughts: anyone interested signs up. Deadline for signups is ~10 days from now on the 25th. Everyone receives a prompt on ~26th of Jan, fic due February 13th for posting on the 14th. Minimum of 1500 words.

Feasible? Doable? Would anyone be interested? Any suggestions or tweaks?

also I’d really like to have at least a second maintainer around so that I wouldn’t feel stupid by participating in a fest that I’m running. ;)
like a word misplaced

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Ravariel

Postby Ravariel » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:51 pm

Joined as yet_intrepid. (Would've preferred to keep the same username for simplicity's sake but was taken.) Personally, I'm ready to start up at any time, I think.
--Theodore Roethke

Return to “Announcements”