Ramin Karimloo - Jean Valjean!

Any new and interesting events going on that you'd like to tell us about?
Convict24603

Ramin Karimloo - Jean Valjean!

Postby Convict24603 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:24 pm

And the next man to play Jean Valjean at the Queen's theatre, is Ramin Karimloo

As reported exclusively on BroadwayWorld UK yesterday, Ramin Karimloo will star as ‘Jean Valjean' in the legendary musical "LES MISÉRABLES" at the Queen's Theatre from Tuesday 29 November 2011- Saturday 3 March 2012. Ramin joins the current West End company which includes Hadley Fraser as ‘Javert', Caroline Sheen as ‘Fantine', Alexia Khadime as ‘Éponine', Craig Mather as ‘Marius', Cameron Blakely as ‘Thénardier', Katy Secombe as ‘Madame Thénardier', Liam Tamne as ‘Enjolras' and Lisa-Anne Wood as ‘Cosette'.

Ramin Karimloo most recently played the role of ‘The Phantom' in the 25th Anniversary celebrations of "The Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall", a role he has previously played in the West End. Other theatre credits include creating the role of ‘The Phantom' in "Love Never Dies" (2011 Olivier Award Nominee and Winner of the 2011 What's On Stage Award, both for ‘Best Actor in a Musical'). No stranger to "LES MISÉRABLES", Ramin has previously played ‘Enjolras' in the West End, a role he also had the privilege of performing in "Les Misérables - A Special Concert at Windsor Castle" to celebrate the centenary of the Entente Cordiale, in front of Her Majesty The Queen. He also played the role in the 25th Anniversary celebration of "Les Misérables at The 02". Other theatre credits include ‘Chris' in "Miss Saigon". Recordings include his own album "Within the Six Square Inch", the première symphonic recording of "Love Never Dies" and "The Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall". Ramin has recently signed with Sony and is currently recording his first solo album.

The magnificent score of "LES MISÉRABLES" includes the songs, "I Dreamed a Dream", "On My Own", "Stars", "Bring Him Home", "Do You Hear the People Sing?", "One Day More", "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables", "Master Of The House" and many more.

"LES MISÉRABLES" originally opened in London at the Barbican Theatre on 8 October 1985, transferred to the Palace Theatre on 4 December 1985 and moved to its current home at the Queen's Theatre on 3 April 2004. When "LES MISÉRABLES" celebrated its 21st London birthday on 8 October 2006, it became the World's Longest Running Musical, surpassing the record previously held by "Cats" in London's West End. In January 2010, the West End production broke another record by celebrating its historic 10,000th performance.

Seen by nearly 60 million people worldwide in 42 countries and in 21 languages, "LES MISÉRABLES" is undisputedly one of the world's most popular musicals ever written, with new productions continually opening around the globe, with seven more currently scheduled. There have been 36 cast recordings of "LES MISÉRABLES", including the multi-platinum London cast recording, the Grammy Award-winning Broadway cast and complete symphonic albums and the recently released live recording of the New 25th Anniversary Production. The video of the 10th Anniversary Royal Albert Hall Gala Concert has sold millions of copies worldwide, making it one of the best-selling musical videos ever in the UK. There are over 2,500 productions of the Les Misérables School's Edition scheduled or being performed by over 125,000 school children in the UK, US and Australia, making it the most successful musical ever produced in schools. Cameron Mackintosh is currently developing a film of "LES MISÉRABLES" with Eric Fellner and Tim Bevan of Working Title and Universal Studios.

Cameron Mackintosh's production of "LES MISÉRABLES" is written by Alain Boublil and Claude-Michel Schönberg and is based on the novel by Victor Hugo. It has music by Claude-Michel Schönberg, lyrics by Herbert Kretzmer and original French text by Alain Boublil and Jean-Marc Natel and additional material by James Fenton. The original London 1985 production of "LES MISÉRABLES" was adapted and directed by Trevor Nunn and John Caird.

Read more: http://broadwayworld.com/article/CONFIRMED-Ramin-Karimloo-to-Join-West-Ends-LES-MISERABLES-20111026#ixzz1buhcaj4T

AND I'M JAVERT! Do Not Forget My Name!

Séraphine

Re: Ramin Karimloo - Jean Valjean!

Postby Séraphine » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:46 pm

Omg OMG that's so exciting! I HAVE TO SEE THAT!!
Actually I can't really imagine Ramin as Valjean but his voice is so amzing, so no doubt he'll do well. I really hope I'll get the chance to see his performance, although he's too handsome to be turned into an old man xD
Be young, have fun, taste Courfeyrac. ;D

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:24 am

...oh, man, all those rumours that've been floating around Tumblr are TRUE?!

I guess the talent pool in London is wearing thin, if no one else is good enough to be Valjean anymore that we have to recycle old cast members from other roles all the time.
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Phan_in_Mizland

Postby Phan_in_Mizland » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:01 am

I'm not sure how I feel.

On one hand, I mean it's Ramin Karimloo. Who will once AGAIN be the "opposite" (or, rather, slashness of fangirls) of Hadley Fraser

On the OTHER hand, I'm not sure if he'd be great great great for the role. To be honest, his best preformance ever in my opinion was that of a near polar opposite of Valjean---When Ramin played Ben in Bluebird.

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:44 pm

Why couldn't they do the cast change a week earlier so I could see both?! :(

Mostly because I've only had the chance to see Ramin on stage as Feuilly, and if it took Valjean for me to see him in a bigger role, I would totally do that. But not enough to attempt to extend the already paid for trip by a few days. I like Ramin a lot, but not that much.

I don't think it's that the talent pool is that shallow; I think it's more of a directorial preference or even a marketing perspective. At this point, thanks to ALW, Ramin is a known name, so it makes marketing sense to bring him in at any point he's willing to come in. I also think people get asked back in other roles because the resident director enjoyed working with them before and would like some known quantities when putting together a cast. The problem is that there's been a lot of bad taste around, so for some reason, Hans Peter Janssens keeps getting contracts, while excellent covers get dropped. The history of promotion from cover to lead has been dismal compared to what I'm used to in US companies of LM in the same timeframe, and that has always driven me nuts. But it's a different ballgame over there, so I'm not sure it's fair for me to be disappointed when my US experience makes me believe a thing should happen that ends up not happening in a UK context. The US Tour and Broadway (original company and revival) recycled like crazy, but you also saw a lot of understudy promotions and a consistent influx of new people. I think the real difference in the UK has been the lack of taste exhibited in some renewals, and the age at which some people are brought back - one could easily suggest that Ben Davis, doing Enjolras and then a few years later Javert, was very much on a UK sort of track, whereas we're more accustomed to "How many productions will Ivan play Valjean in this summer?" for our recycling. But the Ben news was exciting, not "Oh god, they're turning us into London company", and that's why I suspect the context is important, and I just don't have enough London theatre world context. I only lived there for 9 months and only got a partial cast change during that time, so I'm not as up on the long-term aspects as the London fans probably are.
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Enjolras-the-jaw

Postby Enjolras-the-jaw » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:11 pm

As much as I love Ramin, no, just no. Ramin will always be Enjolras to me and he is really only my favorite Enjolras, but nothing more. If they wanted someone young, Jonathan Williams is amazing! Ramin should be playing Enjolras every time. But am very interested to see if he will do a good job. Love Ramin so I will totally support him.
At the end of the day, I dreamed a dream that whenever I was on my own in my life, I would hear the people sing with a heart full of love under the stars. Les Mis, I pledge allegiance to you.

Martine Robespierre

Postby Martine Robespierre » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:17 am

As much as I love Ramin, no, just no. Ramin will always be Enjolras to me

Absolutely agree. Ramin's voice is amazing, but for Jean Valjean...I'm quite perplexed. Anyway, I'll wait to hear his performance before giving a definitive judgement.
Rendre un homme heureux c'est mériter d'etre homme.
Jean Jacques Rousseau.

Entendons nous sur L'égalité; car, si la liberté est le sommet, l'égalité est la base.
Enjolras

Enjolras-the-jaw

Postby Enjolras-the-jaw » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:38 am

I am actually really regretful of what I said :shock: , because I now have seen this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohhhBAqn ... er&list=UL This brought me to tears. It was so heartfelt and beautiful, who new the Phantom of the Opera could be so, selfless. Just wow! (He still needs to learn how to pronounce Enjolras' name right though, but so do all the actors.) If possible, I think even more of him now. Watch the video and then COMMENT. What did you think, I know I loved it! :D
At the end of the day, I dreamed a dream that whenever I was on my own in my life, I would hear the people sing with a heart full of love under the stars. Les Mis, I pledge allegiance to you.

Séraphine

Postby Séraphine » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:51 pm

@Enjolras-the-jaw
Thanks for posting this..so amazing! This video definitely convinced me that he'll sing the role incredibly well, though, I'm still not sure if he can act as an old man. xD Hopefully I can save enough money to travel to London during my holidays in February and see the show with him as Valjean. :D
Be young, have fun, taste Courfeyrac. ;D

Martine Robespierre

Postby Martine Robespierre » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:58 pm

I watched the video and I changed my mind, his perfomance was perfect, he can sing everything with that voice!
Rendre un homme heureux c'est mériter d'etre homme.
Jean Jacques Rousseau.

Entendons nous sur L'égalité; car, si la liberté est le sommet, l'égalité est la base.
Enjolras

Enjolras-the-jaw

Postby Enjolras-the-jaw » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:07 pm

I've got more AWESOME links!

Confrontation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNB0vQzJ ... er&list=UL
Who Am I: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc8QMkL3 ... re=related
What Have I Done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVSuAF-6 ... er&list=UL

Enjoy the awesomeness and comment what you think! :mrgreen:
Enjolras-the-jaw

Enjolras-the-jaw

Postby Enjolras-the-jaw » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:44 pm

I have another link (and i don't mean from Zelda :lol: )! This one is Prologue: the Work Song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY30PMMK ... re=related

This one is also WONDERFUL! :mrgreen:

Return to “Announcements”