Howdy

Introduce yourself to the rest of us!
CC21106

Howdy

Postby CC21106 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:50 pm

Hello. I don't know how I found this forum but I'm glad I did. I just reread the book for the third time and want to talk with people who get it. I also saw the 2012 movie online a few days ago and a stunning full-length high school presentation of the musical on YouTube which I found linked from somewhere on this forum. I'm more of a reader than a watcher, though. I read a lot, mostly free stuff online. Project Gutenberg is my home away from home.
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

deHavilland

Re: Howdy

Postby deHavilland » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:16 am

Hi, Texchanchan! Welcome to Abaisse!

Which translation of the book did you go for on this third time through? Have you been reading different versions or the same one a couple times over? Any other favorites you have on Project Gutenberg besides Les Mis?
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:54 pm

Welcome Texchanchan :D
Feel free to get involved in any of the discussions that are going on, or even old ones that need some new life into them. We've got an Important Information subforum that has all the details you need to know, but we're a friendly bunch if you need to ask anything :)
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:17 am

Thanks for the welcome, deHavilland and Acaila. I hope I see y'all around.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:58 pm

deHavilland wrote:Hi, Texchanchan! Welcome to Abaisse!

Which translation of the book did you go for on this third time through? Have you been reading different versions or the same one a couple times over? Any other favorites you have on Project Gutenberg besides Les Mis?

The third time, Hapgood, the fourth time, Donougher. Other Project Gutenberg books: Everything by Wilkie Collins, all the Victorian novels I could get my hands on. Some of those people were incredibly prolific. I like Bleak House by Dickens. Thackeray and Trollope, which I get mixed up though they are quite different. I guess my favorite is "A History of England from the Accession of James the Second" by Macaulay. He only managed to get to about 1700 before he died, but it's an incredibly good read.

BarricadeRebel

Postby BarricadeRebel » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:48 pm

Hello. You use Project Gutenberg too!? Finally I found someone else who utilizes it.

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:59 pm

BarricadeRebel wrote:Hello. You use Project Gutenberg too!? Finally I found someone else who utilizes it.

Oh yes :D I have used it since back when I had to download the files, convert the paragraph breaks, save as some format I don't remember and load onto my Palm IIIxe. That was when I really got into it. Now I read Gutenberg books on an android phone with an app called Bookari, and sometimes read them online on the computer especially if they have pictures.

Do you also read old lit on archive.org?

Ursula_F

Postby Ursula_F » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:20 am

Hi! Glad to meet you!

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:54 am

Ursula_F wrote:Hi! Glad to meet you!

Thank you, Ursula_F.

Return to “Introductions”