Hello !!

Introduce yourself to the rest of us!
Angeline

Hello !!

Postby Angeline » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:37 pm

Hi! I'm Angeline/Annie and I'll admit that I became a Les Mis fan relatively recently (after seeing the 2012 movie, actually :lol: ). I've pretty much been in love with the story ever since; I would not shut up about it for an entire year. I kind of burned myself out because of that (as I often do), and stopped thinking about it entirely for awhile. Now that I've mellowed out, I think that I'm ready to join a discussion like a healthy, normal person. I've been through this cycle a lot, as you can probably tell. :lol:

So I've seen the musical and the movie, but I haven't read the Brick itself yet (gasp!) Pretty much all I know is from stalking people who have (which is a surprisingly good method of learning things, I've found). You'll probably see a thread with questions about book translations going up within a few minutes of me posting this :mrgreen:

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing some fellow fans around here (you might see me as well, depending on how bold I'm feeling. My default mode is skulking, haha). Cheers!

Acaila

Re: Hello !!

Postby Acaila » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:11 pm

I totally understand the burning yourself out on Mis - I go in cycles with it. My boyfriend was really cranky with me the year the movie came out because I wouldn't shut up about it for ages! Some years, it's all I listen to and think about, and some years I'm more mellow with it. But it's always there, just waiting to lure me back in with a pretty new Enjolras or opportunity to see it live :D.
Anyway, welcome to Abaisse, look forward to chatting with you!
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Ursula_F

Postby Ursula_F » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:18 am

Hi, Angeline!!! Glad to meet you!

I just read the Brick recently, and was amazed at how many awesome scenes were in it that WEREN'T in the musical or 2012 movie. (I mean, I know that's to be expected with a 1400-page book! But it was a fun surprise to see so many exciting scenes where I didn't know what would happen!)

Angeline

Postby Angeline » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:20 am

Haha, my friends were pretty annoyed at me as well when the movie came out. Except the ones who were just as enthusiastic. :mrgreen: It became sort of an in-joke for awhile; we were "Team 24601" when we participated Run or Dye, and fairly mundane phrases such as "who am I" or "one more day" became opportunities to burst into song in the middle of a sentence. It was w̶o̶n̶d̶e̶r̶f̶u̶l̶ h̶o̶r̶r̶i̶b̶l̶e̶ certainly something.

>Ursula, Yes!! I am very excited to read it. A downside to these awesome scenes, however, is having to know exactly how each of your favourite of Les Amis die. Not looking forward to that as much. :(

Ursula_F

Postby Ursula_F » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:01 am

For me, the "extra" scenes in the book that I didn't know about but loved weren't about the Amis - it was things like 1) How Valjean came to work at the convent; 2) a REALLY suspenseful, nail-biting scene about "the Jondrettes"; 3) Marius and Cosette's courtship (which is absolutely ADORABLE and about 10,000 times better than the movie); and two or three full chapters about Gavroche before he even MEETS the barricade boys.

Also, the chapter about Valjean deciding whether or not to reveal his identity (when he's the mayor and they arrested that other guy they thought was Valjean) and then going to the trial was absolutely AMAZING - one of the best chapters I've ever read in ANY book. It was just so psychologically REAL.

There IS also a lot of stuff about the Amis, and it's cool that they actually have individual personalities in the book. But the other chapters held my attention more (but that's just me! Not a huge Amis fan personally.)

Return to “Introductions”