Hi there

Introduce yourself to the rest of us!
naomimi

Hi there

Postby naomimi » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:29 pm

Hello, my name's Naomi. I'm from the Netherlands, so English isn't my first language, so please ?bear with me? I'm not really as smart as you are and I haven't watched a lot of musicals (either versions of les mis or others), don't know all the songs by heart and i haven't read the brick, (though I'm reading it now, but I will probably never finish it.) I'm just here to read your interesting theories and such and to be in a place where I can be in the fandom without it only being about the ships (it's not like I'm against the ships, I like some of them, just want to read something else sometimes). I probably won't post a lot.
I love watching films, saw the 2012 movie two weeks ago and was hooked, I listen to the soundtrack about 3 times a day, because I'm pathetic, and I've watched a Dutch version of the musical on YouTube (told you I'm pathetic:p). So eh that's as far as me being a fan goes. Besides that I don't do a lot, I try to draw or sing sometimes and do modern dance, that's about it. I'm in 11th grade if highschool I think, next year is my last year. I might want to study something with films or literature or history but I'm not sure yet. I'm also quite often a pessimist, though I can be really optimistic. I talk to much about nothing and comment on myself if anyone gives me the chance.
So eh, hi that's me.

Re: Hi there

Postby 23623 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:58 pm

Hello Naomi! I'm also a newbie, introduced by the 2012 movie and non-native speaker. I was also in 11th grade when I watched the movie and now I'm a sophomore...oops, I'm getting old! Don't worry about your English (mine sucks even more, haha) or your knowledge. There are many kind and knowledgable people here who can help us! :wink:

Glad to know that you're reading the book! I read it right after watching the movie. It took me around 2 months to finish. Now I'm re-reading it in English, though my progress is really really slow. :(
Revolution, but civilization

naomimi

Postby naomimi » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:53 pm

Heey! I'm really slow at reading it as well, like at this pace it will probably cost me half a year at least to finish it.
Well nice to meet you, kinda:p

Ilargi

Postby Ilargi » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:57 pm

Hi, Naomi! Nice to meet you! :D Don't worry, English isn't my mother tongue either and I'm sure I make a lot of mistakes too. Sometimes I'm afraid it may be annoying for native speakers, since Internet is full of non-natives speaking English more or less properly everywhere, but they're so nice I've never see anyone complain. :lol:
It took me two months to read the book the first time too, but I loved it and I've recently reread in Spanish, my mother tongue. I read the first four parts pretty fast, but I somehow slowed down when I was reaching the end. It doesn't matter how long you need as long as you enjoy it! :wink:

Postby 23623 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:50 pm

Ilargi wrote:Sometimes I'm afraid it may be annoying for native speakers, since Internet is full of non-natives speaking English more or less properly everywhere, but they're so nice I've never see anyone complain. :lol:
It doesn't matter how long you need as long as you enjoy it! :wink:

Ditto!

Sometines I feel as if I were writing essays when I post here. I spend as much (if not more) time in proofreading as in actual writing. :oops:

And if you enjoy the book, you'll naturally want to spend more time on it! :wink:
Last edited by 23623 on Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Revolution, but civilization

naomimi

Postby naomimi » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:08 pm

Naww, I'm sure you are both good enough in English and people won't mind occasional mistakes as long as they understand what you mean. And nice to meet you both! I've apparently read about a tenth now, I like getting to know the characters, most of them are very interesting.

Chantefleurie

Postby Chantefleurie » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:43 am

Hi Naomi! Welcome to Abaisse! Oh, there's so much to talk about in that book and musicals... Always glad to hear other people's thoughts about everything.

I just want to take a small moment to make this rant:

To the non-native English speakers whom I met on this forum and in other geeky corners of the internet (even though you can't see it here): your English is spectacular, and very often better than the language I or my peers use in daily life. As for the internet, your English is probably better than the vast majority of typing that comes out of keyboards of native speakers. And even if you make a few mistakes here and there, you'll still be understood. And unlike native speakers, you have a very valid excuse for making the occasional spelling or grammar error. *bows to the English-as-a-second-language posters* End rant. :)
C'est tellement mystérieux, le pays des larmes. ~Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Ilargi

Postby Ilargi » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:38 am

Thank your for your encouragement, Chantefleurie! :D

Return to “Introductions”