1.5 La Descente/The Descent, 10/10/10-22/10/10

Abaissé re-reads the novel in its entirety! All welcome, no matter whether you're reading in French or some other translation. Discussion topics for each step along the way.

Moderators: Charlette-Ollie, Ulkis, Frédérique

between4walls

Re: 1.5 La Descente/The Descent, 10/10/10-22/10/10

Postby between4walls » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:13 am

On the other hand, MmeBahorel's earlier notes:
13 (miliary fever): Maladie éruptive, aussi appelé << suette miliaire >>, souvent mortelle, comme lors de la grave épidémie de 1821, date correspondant en effet à la maladie prétendue de Cosette.
[This gets translated as “military fever” by MacAfee and Fahnestock and it isn't.] Eruptive sickness, also called “miliary sweating disease” [miliaria], often fatal, as during the serious epidemic of 1821, date corresponding in effect to Cosette's claimed illness. [Miliary fever (scroll down) is sometimes a catch all for any disease with a high fever and a rash of small red pustules. It's the cause of death on Mozart's death certificate. There was an outbreak of “suette de Picardie” in 1821 in Seine-et-Oise.

The French text is "Une fièvre miliaire," not "une fievre militaire" (which would have been "military fever" and therefore typhus). Here's wiki for miliary fever which is now a disused term. Here's a late-nineteenth century description of it.
Here day embraces night, and says: I will die with you and you will be reborn with me. From the heavy embrace of all desolations springs faith.

The real name of devotion is disinterestedness.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:12 pm

July 24, 2013

Christus Nos Liberavit

http://www.online-literature.com/victor_hugo/les_miserables/50/

Hugo muses on the hardening of a soul
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:31 am

July 25, 2013

M. Bamatabois' Inactivity

http://www.online-literature.com/victor_hugo/les_miserables/51/

A lazy dandy decides to be nasty. Consequences.

Why do I get the feeling (although of course Hugo seems to condemn the situation) that this behavior was more condoned in those days?
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

meow139

Postby meow139 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:33 pm

Oh Bamby, Bamby, Bamby... somehow I doubt that he'll even remember this incident in a week. Never mind that he very well could have just screwed up a lady for life, it isn't important to HIM. Such a witty, handsome, intelligent devil musn't be bothered by some violent whore when he undobtably has a billion other things to think about. >:(

But still, it is very clear that Javert is not in the wrong by arresting Fantine. She attacked Bamatabois, there are witnesses who will say exactly that. While what happened wasn't right at all, they are both in the wrong. The thing is, what Bamatabois did wasn't illegal.

I really dislike thaat the musical changed this bit because it turned Bamatabois from some idiot to a rapist. I thought that this scene, Fantine just losing her temper because she's had it with everything and is completely broken is really a heartbreakign moment and makes Fantine a bit more human. What musical!Bamby did was illegal while in this scenario the worst thing he could be called on is harassment. Harrassment vs. assualt- big difference there.
I change barricade boyfriends by the day.

humanracer

Postby humanracer » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:07 am

For those that want to read about the real life incident involving VH that inspired the snowball scene:
http://www.angelfire.com/mn3/mixed_lit/hugo_ws.htm

The incident was also published in The Pall Mall Gazette in 1887, as part of a debate in the UK about police being asked to be more stringent with the women on the streets.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:29 am

July 26, 2013

The Solution of Some Questions Concerning the Municipal Police

http://www.online-literature.com/victor_hugo/les_miserables/52/

Madeleine intervenes, and turns Fantine's world upside down again.

meow139

Postby meow139 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:42 pm

Poor Fantine- at this point she's half mad, and there really isn't much that can be done for her except getting her off the streets. I just feel so awful, especially when she's raving to Javert like that.
I change barricade boyfriends by the day.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:05 pm

It's quite an accurate psychological portrait at some points.

Return to “Read-Through”