1.1 Un Juste/An Upright Man, 1/9/10-14/09/10

Abaissé re-reads the novel in its entirety! All welcome, no matter whether you're reading in French or some other translation. Discussion topics for each step along the way.

Moderators: Charlette-Ollie, Ulkis, Frédérique

humanracer

Re: 1.1 Un Juste/An Upright Man, 1/9/10-14/09/10

Postby humanracer » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:02 pm

Here is something interesting I found on Wikipedia (yes I know!):

As Hugo set to work on the novel in 1848 after a long interruption, his anti-clerical son Charles objected to presenting Myriel as "a prototype of perfection and intelligence", suggesting instead someone from "a liberal, modern profession, like a doctor". The novelist replied:[3]

I cannot put the future into the past. My novel takes place in 1815. For the rest, this Catholic priest, this pure and lofty figure of true priesthood, offers the most savage satire on the priesthood today.

Mademoiselle Mabeuf
Location: Waiting in the parlor hall or leaning on the office wall

Postby Mademoiselle Mabeuf » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:05 pm

That is interesting, humanracer!
Uh, Relly, correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the past two chapters you've posted be in the thread for Book Two?
"He never left home without a book under his arm, and often returned with two..."
^Victor Hugo on my life.
When I rule the world I'll plant flowers. :twisted:

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:38 pm

Ooh, cool! :D I wonder if Combeferre and/or Joly were med students/implied med students (I Dont remember if he says outright for Combeferre) as a response to that, then? Or did Hugo already decide they were before then?

Er, yeah, Mabz. Oh well.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:17 pm

Oh my gosh. :shock: :oops: Thanks for pointing that out, Mabeuf! Will just link up the posts later.

Joly was said outright to be a med student. Combeferre was implied to be; he worked at the Necker and is seen bandaging people up.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

humanracer

Postby humanracer » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:16 am

I have no idea if this has been mentioned before but an old newspaper article says that there was supposed to be a production of Les Misérables in Paris but they wanted Hugo to make some changes such as Myriel being a doctor rather than bishop (so the clergy is not scandalised) and Valjean not becoming mayor (to avoid authority being scandalised). Javert was also to be toned down. Hugo refused.

Return to “Read-Through”