The Abaissé Read Through of Les Misérables!

Abaissé re-reads the novel in its entirety! All welcome, no matter whether you're reading in French or some other translation. Discussion topics for each step along the way.

Moderators: Charlette-Ollie, Ulkis, Frédérique

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

The Abaissé Read Through of Les Misérables!

Postby MmeJavert » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:38 am

So we're planning to read through the whole novel, beginning to end, with discussion topics along the way.

Based upon what was discussed in a previous thread in the Questions and Answers board, we appear to be decided on making one discussion topic per book. Being that some translations do not mark each book, only each chapter, we will include in the thread which chapters are included in each book, so everyone knows what to read.

We also appear to be decided on one chapter per day. A few chapters are barely even a page long, so this should be doable for most people.

Discussion will be mostly free. The mods who are starting the topics will not be posting any required discussion questions. If any questions do get posted, by mods or other participants in the discussion, they are not required as part of the discussion, merely as ideas to continue the discussions.

Please post any comments or questions regarding the readthrough in this topic. The beginning date hasn't been determined yet; we need to find our mods first. See the other thread in this topic for that.
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

goodythreeshoes

Re: The Abaissé Read Through of Les Misérables!

Postby goodythreeshoes » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:43 pm

Oh my god. Seriously? I can't wait! Although, I am going to be at Summer camp for the rest of this week and the next, by the way.
Je ne suis pas notaire, c'est la faute a Voltaire. Je suis un petit oiseau, c'est la faute a Rosseau.

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:25 pm

Don't worry. Even if we start in the next few days (not that likely), you'll likely have plenty of time to catch up. :)
like a word misplaced

~pearl jam, "dissident"

PureDiamondLight

Postby PureDiamondLight » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:52 am

Sounds great. Looking forward to it :)

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:02 pm

Updates!

We had a good half dozen mod volunteers, so three were chosen via a random drawing.

Ulkis, Frédérique and Charlette-Ollie will be our Read-Through Mods / topic starters.

It's looking like the read through will be starting next week, with exact date still to be determined. So get out your Bricks or pick your favourite translation/edition/etc. to be ready! This also means that if there are any lurkers, or if any of you have friends you might want to drag into this, now would be the time to do it! There may be external pimping (like on lj) of this readthrough later, as well.

A couple of things are being ironed out still, but we'll let everyone know once things are ready to go!
like a word misplaced

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Roses for Ophelia

Postby Roses for Ophelia » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:41 pm

OK! Can't wait! I'm thinking of reading the Julie Rose, but anyone have any recs?
Rivers belong where they can ramble...

hazellwood

Postby hazellwood » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:49 pm

I have no recs, because I'll be using my own worn-out M/F translation. :lol: This should be fun.

AllUrBass

Postby AllUrBass » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:53 pm

I can't wait! Is anyone else planning on doing this readthrough in French?
If liberty is the summit, equality is the base.

hazellwood

Postby hazellwood » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:09 pm

You most definitely won't be alone AllUrBass. :)

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:51 pm

Intend to do my best, but will almost certainly supplement week to week with the Fahnestock/McAfee in English.
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Frédérique

Postby Frédérique » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:11 pm

I do mean to read the bits with which I am intensely familiar in French, but will rely on translation for everything I've not read more than once (which is actually the vast majority of the text) and ... probably end up going back to translations Just To Compare more often than not anyway. But there will be French involved :D

brittlesmile

Postby brittlesmile » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:18 am

Count me in for this, and in French as well.
"Détruire les abus, cela ne suffit pas; il faut modifier les moeurs. Le moulin n'y est plus, le vent y est encore."

Valancy

Postby Valancy » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:43 pm

I'm doing my own read-through now (started before I discovered this forum and want to have finished before October when I'll see the musical again for the first time in years), but in going through the only unabridged Finnish translation which dates from the 1920s, I really want to tackle the French original next. There are many turns of phrase which are hopelessly outdated in the Finnish translation - and in a different way than the French original would be outdated, because French had existed as a literary language for centuries while the Finnish literary language was only developing when the translation was made - but not only that, whenever I compare it with the French I notice that there are inaccuracies, mistakes and even short bits missing. So I'm vaguely thinking that when I finish my current reread, I'll pick it up again to join this read-through, but now in French. I might have to catch up a bit, but I can always just, oh, skip Waterloo or something if it gets too tough. ;) The pace you guys are setting is something that I should manage even in Hugoesque French, especially with the translation to refer to. I'll see how it works out!

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:17 pm

I'll be doing it in French. In fact, I'll have to set aside a few afternoons this week to finish the last 300 pages of my current readthrough in French, since it would be rather absurd to be reading the same book simultaneously at the beginning and at the end.

The current reread is reminding me how thematically linked a lot of the books are, often in ways I hadn't noticed. (Example: last time I read it, I was too busy going FUCK YEAH FURNITURE WALL to notice that all the chapters in "The Grandeurs of Despair" are related to... well... desperate people kicking ass. Mabeuf and Éponine's deaths, Marius' suicidal powder-keg heroics, etc.) So while our official reading schedule is one chapter per day, I vote that any chapters in a particular book are fair game for discussion in that book's thread, even if they're technically ahead of schedule.

Quick question: is anybody going to be reading it for the first time? I think we've been operating on the assumption that this will be a reread for everyone here, but it would be interesting to know if there are going to be any Hugo virgins involved. Obviously we're not going to be avoiding spoilers or anything, but we can cheerlead you through the digressions, etc.
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.
- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

sophiedegrouchy

Postby sophiedegrouchy » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:53 am

I don't think I've replied to any of this yet, but I'm all up for attempting my daily dose of Hugo (I'm highly entertained by how we're approaching this like a year-long devotional :lol:) and trying to finally read Julie Rose. I'd make noise about probably being somewhat inconsistent what with real world demands, but that holds true for everyone.

Y'all are wonderful for organizing/dreaming this up!

Return to “Read-Through”