Easiest/Hardest charecters to write?

Meta related to characters, plots, or other elements introduced by Victor Hugo in Les Misérables.
SpiritOfDawn

Re: Easiest/Hardest charecters to write?

Postby SpiritOfDawn » Tue May 21, 2013 1:29 am

After a lot of practise I'm getting there...
My current worry now is Bahorel....

But even though I now attempted it, and hope I did not fully mess up, I still maintain that Grantaire is hardest...
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world

macaron

Postby macaron » Thu May 23, 2013 8:05 am

Something I was thinking about in regards to this thread topic is the 'finding it easy' vs 'getting it right' thing - like, finding a character easy to write doesn't have to mean it's the character you write best. When I wanted to write a fic I tried a bunch of different perspectives and as it turned out, Courfeyrac was the one who came most natural to me, so I went with him. But the mere fact that I found him easy (relatively speaking) to write made me nervous, because that made me feel like maybe I found him easy because I was just writing him the way I like to write, or because my headcanon of him was too simple. Like, if I'd chosen someone I found difficult I might've worked harder on getting it right and maybe it would have turned out better, you know?

Obviously this doesn't have to be the case, but it's something I think about when I write. And then it makes me paranoid and I stop writing. *g* (And now I think I've used up my quota of the word 'write' for the rest of the week.)

I really do find most of the characters tough. I don't think I'd dare to attempt getting into the heads of, say, Enjolras or Grantaire.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Thu May 23, 2013 8:12 am

At present, maybe owing to relative lack of practice, the character I find hardest to write is Gillenormand. Why? I already have multiple ramblers in my present project: Tholomyes and Grantaire are the most frequent offenders. I do not know how to make a ramble that is just 'him'.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Thu May 23, 2013 11:45 pm

Something I was thinking about in regards to this thread topic is the 'finding it easy' vs 'getting it right' thing - like, finding a character easy to write doesn't have to mean it's the character you write best.

This is so true. "Easy" can so often result in "ahistorical" or "self-insert" because so much is easy that other pesky bits of canon can fall by the wayside. The more difficult ones are sometimes the ones that require greater research and significant thought, trial and error in drafts, and so the writer has developed a deeper understanding of all aspects of the character.
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Thu May 23, 2013 11:50 pm

I'd say Grantaire comes somewhat easily to me, to the point where I'm slightly worried.

I have a lot of trouble with Enjolras, actually. I'm rewriting who I found easy and hard now that I've done more of it.

Feuilly is hard for me too! Who IS he?

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

WhoIam

Postby WhoIam » Fri May 24, 2013 2:19 pm

He's a Poland-obsessed orphan who paints fans. A working-man. Teacher of Justice.

And I cannot for the life of me figure out how to say his name.
All the world's a party, and I'm usually the awkward wallflower in the corner with a glass of water and a copy of Les Mis.

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Fri May 24, 2013 8:54 pm

WhoIam wrote:He's a Poland-obsessed orphan who paints fans. A working-man. Teacher of Justice.

And I cannot for the life of me figure out how to say his name.

https://soundcloud.com/rachelisnotcool/feuilly

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Fri May 24, 2013 10:57 pm

Feuilly is whoever you want him to be. He has next to no personality - the one time you get anything individual from him is that single sentence on the barricade where he names names that Hugo doesn't name of the men who promised to join them and didn't. It's the only time he is permitted to speak at any length, and he's bitter about this betrayal, but considering how late it finally comes, when they know they're all going to die here, it's not particularly enlightening.

Which means Feuilly, more than any of the others, is a blank slate and you can do whatever you like. If you want to be accurate, find a translation of Perdiguier's Memoirs of a Compagnon for a bit of background reading into the educated working class of which Feuilly is supposed to be the representative in the novel. But for personality, absolute blank slate, have at it. Canon will not contradict anything you try because Hugo didn't care enough about that group, the real revolutionaries, to try. He was focused on the victims, the uneducated working classes that overlapped and fed into the dangerous classes.

(this is how I ended up doing class issues, and now I have serious issues with Hugo on that front. too much Feuilly research. but that's to do with accuracy of the details I'm writing, not anything connected with his personality, which I made up entirely out of whole cloth. Hugo gives you nothing to work with, which is scary as hell but also incredibly liberating once you make up your mind to let go and just start playing around.)
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

meow139

Postby meow139 » Sun May 26, 2013 6:56 pm

When I first read Feuilly's description, he was really the only one that I couldn't grasp, and for a long time I blamed that on myself not being able to understand the book well enough. Eventually, I realized that he was hard because he really didn't have a personality.

My Feuilly is very practical and resourceful. He knows his way around the streets, because he's grown up there for most of his life. He's really ambitious and determined to make a good life for himself. He's also sort of a loner- he's grown up on his own, and feels as if he really doesn't need anybody else. He typically stays quiet during meetings- thus explaining his silence in the brick- because he prefers to comment in his own mind. He also cares about the other Amis a bit more than he likes to admit. He's really smart, teaching himself to read. One of the most interesting aspects of Feuilly's character, to me, is that he kept on a straight path, without turning to any crime or anything like that. In short, my Feuilly is blunt, honest, ambitious and clever. But that's just my characterization.
I change barricade boyfriends by the day.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun May 26, 2013 7:20 pm

macaron wrote:Something I was thinking about in regards to this thread topic is the 'finding it easy' vs 'getting it right' thing - like, finding a character easy to write doesn't have to mean it's the character you write best. When I wanted to write a fic I tried a bunch of different perspectives and as it turned out, Courfeyrac was the one who came most natural to me, so I went with him. But the mere fact that I found him easy (relatively speaking) to write made me nervous, because that made me feel like maybe I found him easy because I was just writing him the way I like to write, or because my headcanon of him was too simple. Like, if I'd chosen someone I found difficult I might've worked harder on getting it right and maybe it would have turned out better, you know?

Obviously this doesn't have to be the case, but it's something I think about when I write. And then it makes me paranoid and I stop writing. *g* (And now I think I've used up my quota of the word 'write' for the rest of the week.)

I really do find most of the characters tough. I don't think I'd dare to attempt getting into the heads of, say, Enjolras or Grantaire.

This is a very important distinction and one that anyone attempting to write fic should be aware of.
I also agree with Mme Bahorel that thinking you find a character easy often results in crappy self-inserts, at least to judge by some recent fics.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

SpiritOfDawn

Postby SpiritOfDawn » Sun May 26, 2013 10:57 pm

What I found is that for me its often not so much the character itself, but a mixture of the character and the scene. I usually write each scene through the eyes of a specific character - meaning you get to see this character's introspection and the rest only via what can be perceived, plus the knowledge of the "seeing" character in the background.
Successs often depends on a combination of these two, for me. Pick the wrong character for the scene, and there's no way I can make it work...

Apart from that I agree with Acaila and Mme Bahorel on the self-inserts, but I guess it's also a combination of that and the fact, that writing characters that share traits with you or that at least have traits that you can understand makes things a lot easier.

I am about as far as one can be from being a cynic, which makes writing Grantaire... a challenge, I would say.
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world

CeridwenLynne
Location: At the Cafe Musain discussing politics with Enjolras.

Postby CeridwenLynne » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:51 pm

I find Enjolras the easiest character for me to write. As someone who is very interested in politics and history I find his character fascinating and easy for me to relate to.

Cosette is very hard for me to write. In every story I've tried to write she always comes across as a whiney airhead which is definitely not canon. She's sheltered and naive but not an airhead.
" He makes no vain sacrifice who fights for a cause. All here are ready to die so that our brothers may live as free men. Liberty... sweet liberty... come fight with those who defend you." ----Enjolras.

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:55 pm

I find Courfeyrac particularly easy to write but I do find that I often end up using him as comic relief in the fic that I'm writing at the moment.That's why I'm hoping to write a few one-shots to redeem myself.
"Cure your Cholera with boiled water and bananas"

HotblackDesiato

Postby HotblackDesiato » Mon May 18, 2015 2:25 pm

I find Grantaire hard, especially since there's so much stuff going on between him and Enjolras. It's hard to get the right tone. Apart from that, some of the more obscure Amis (as in, ones not included in the musical) are hard to write since there's not much to work with.

Malaika

Postby Malaika » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:35 pm

Courf is the easiest as he is just so bubbly and cheeky and I always write him lidtening to disney songs or rambling about something unimportant but amiable. He's so cute and probably the only character I have a set feel for everytime I write.

Hardest? Maybe Combeferre. Personally, i relate to him the most, being the mother hen of my friendship group but i still find it really hard to write his dialogue. My issue is that i dont wnat him to seem to nerdy yet why i try, he is just really sarcastic and that isn't what I really want to write him as either.

I haven't written enough to try Montparnasse or Bahorel yet as they haven't been intoduced into my fics yet.,,,

Return to “Brick Meta”