Easiest/Hardest charecters to write?

Meta related to characters, plots, or other elements introduced by Victor Hugo in Les Misérables.
Acaila

Re: Easiest/Hardest charecters to write?

Postby Acaila » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:41 am

I'm struggling with Grantaire a lot at the moment :(

I'm enjoying writing Marius and weirdly Valjean at the moment. I've written unfinished bits with Javert that I like. Enjolras on the modern AU RP scared me, but the fact that I can have a bit of a different head canon for him helps a lot.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:19 am

I can't write anyone. I feel like I'm screwing them up no matter how I write them D:

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

brixhamlaura

Postby brixhamlaura » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:33 pm

In working on our Les Mis show script, I actually found grown-up Cosette the hardest to write. Mainly because I find the "young sheltered girl falling in love" ever so hard to get into the head of. (I had a really hard time in 2005 playing Raina in George Bernard Shaw's Arms And The Man for the same reason, goodness knows how I got that part, I was actually auditioning for Louka, her maid!)
Les Mis fan...
Highly chuffed to be directing a (non-musical) stage show based on aforementioned brilliant Victor Hugo novel, in 2013 - http://southdevonplayers.weebly.com

IBelieveInYou

Postby IBelieveInYou » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:08 pm

I agree, Cosette can be really hard, and I can't write Éponine at all, I don't know how to portray the complexity of her character after all that she's been in and her spontaneous self.
Then I saw their trembling features warp and, gradually,
Their foreheads turn pale and dissolve in front of me,
And everyone, like a stream that flows into a sea,
Became completely lost in a dark immensity.

Victor Hugo, The Slope of Reverie

MamzelleCombeferre

Postby MamzelleCombeferre » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:53 pm

Grantaire is a difficult character for me to write, because I struggle with making him cynical enough, but wanting to make him somewhat likeable too. Enjolras is a character I won't even touch in fic because I'm terrified of messing him up.
KITTENS AND UNICORNS AND RAINBOWS OH MY! *Sparkles*

brixhamlaura

Postby brixhamlaura » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:02 pm

I just based Grantaire on my boyfriend... who might be utterly teetotal (though he won praise in a theatre festival - not Les Mis-related- for acting drunk) but is a complete cynic when it comes to political idealism. :D
Les Mis fan...
Highly chuffed to be directing a (non-musical) stage show based on aforementioned brilliant Victor Hugo novel, in 2013 - http://southdevonplayers.weebly.com

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:05 pm

Oh, I had to get drunk through the course of a show a couple of years back and apparently nobody reviewing believed that I have never actually been drunk. Pffft, insult to my acting abilities is even worse than calling me a liar!
Abaisse Chief/Chef

brixhamlaura

Postby brixhamlaura » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:08 pm

Lol, that's what happened to Steve. They couldn't believe that he doesn't drink (I am the one who likes a few drinkies in our relationship!)
Les Mis fan...

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:09 pm

Some people just don't appreciate quality performance! Hmph!
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:26 am

Presently basing a lot of my Ami characterizations on some friends (except of course for how I characterize Enjolras). Valjean is based on some favorite doctors. Javert in my head-canon is based on a well-meaning but tough professor.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

meow139

Postby meow139 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:02 am

Okay, here are the characters I find HARD to write:

Grantaire- Scares me to death. His long, drunken mythology rants? No, I'm too scared. The only thing I have down for him is his dedication to Enjolras.
Bossuet- I can't get him! I mean, I know he's unlucky and happy and bald- although he always has hair in every adaption I've seen (heresy, I cry!). But who is he. What does he do? I need help with him.
Joly- Not too hard for me, but I just don't know what he's thinking and I can't handle that.
Enjolras- No. I can not get inside of his head. It's impossible for me. He's... Enjolras. I can't do it.
Combeferre- This one makes me want to kill myself, seriously. I'm a Combeferre FANGIRL. I should have this one down pat, out of them all. But I DON'T, and I don't get why. I'm so like him that it's incredible, he's just really hard for me...

I'm not bad at Jehan- he's sort of a sweetheart, so he's easy. Also, I adore Courfeyrac for how easy he comes to me. Bahorel... I haven't done much with him, but he isn't bad for me, and I actually sort of like Feuilly from what little I've done with him. I've really only done Ami stuff at this point, though I'm looking to venture out of my little comfort zone and explore Marius/Cosette stuff.
I change barricade boyfriends by the day.

freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! (or southern-central Virginia)

Postby freedomlover » Sun May 19, 2013 11:48 pm

Currently struggling with Bahorel....
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Mon May 20, 2013 12:00 am

Besides the mythology, Grantaire comes quite easily to me, actually. Which is natural, I guess. I mean, the way he talks is hard for me to get, but getting into his head is pretty simple.

-Enjolras scares the living crap out of me. I can write him through Grantaire's eyes, but not as an indifferent narrator.

-Éponine is strange to me. She's not insane, I know that, but I find her hard to write.

-Courfeyrac. What to do? What to say? Argh.

-JVJ and Snookums are safely out of anything I will write for now, but I haven't the faintest on how to write them.

-Cosette. I'm so lost when it comes to her.

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

The Bricklayer

Postby The Bricklayer » Mon May 20, 2013 12:15 am

Not being much of a writer, I haven't really tried to write many of these characters.

R- I find R hard to write because of getting past the point of everything is Enjolras and alcohol and actually giving him a personality.

Enjolras is another one I stay away from writing. It's not that I can't, but getting into his head is hard and I have no idea where things go when I'm there

Rachel wrote:
-JVJ and Snookums are safely out of anything I will write for now, but I haven't the faintest on how to write them.

-Cosette. I'm so lost when it comes to her.

Agreed on JVJ and Snookums
Unless I'm writing crack fic or really OOC Stars/Bread, I can't write them.

Cosette is actually decently easy so as long as I don't stray too far from my headcanon of her.
Combeferre is pretty easy for me as well.
Tomorrow will come no matter what, but it is up to you to make it better than today.

Proud Member of the Resident Combeferre Club.

freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! (or southern-central Virginia)

Postby freedomlover » Mon May 20, 2013 12:27 am

After more writing experience, Enjolras is the easiest for me :)
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

Return to “Brick Meta”